Axle CV boot on '98 Intrigue

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 03:39 pm
On May 12 had front struts & ball joints replaced and by the 14th, I started hearing a howling & squeaking sound from under the car. On inspection today (May 22), machanic says CV boot had been ripped and brake cover jammed into the disk and gouging it, concluding it was caused by road debris flying up and smacking the cover & boot.

To resolve this, mechanic volunteers to turn the rotor, clean up the grease and replace the axle with a remanufactured unit, charging only $99 for the axle. He remains firm that this was caused by road debris and not a mistake on his mechanic's part.

Do I pay him the $99 (add to the $1,700 I've already paid him) or take in a compelling argument why he should fix this at no additional chagrge?

I priced CVU Passenger Side Axle Assembly for 1998-1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue is $51.23 at PartsTrain.com. Is 100% markup common or reasonable?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,893 • Replies: 1
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 22 May, 2008 04:00 pm
100% markup? Ummm.. Partstrain lists the cheapest axle for your car at $51. (They have other brands at up to $65)

And then they want another $54 to ship it to you for tomorrow.

I'd say charging you $7 less than what it would cost you to buy it yourself through partstrain is fairly reasonable.
0 Replies