What makes you Want Religion in your life?

babsatamelia

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2008 09:24 am
Playing "follow the leader" and "ritual" are comforting & have been for thousands of years. Why anyone worships in, around or at a money temple is beyond MY comprehension. If they are Christians, then their clearly purported "idol" - Jesus of Nazareth - wasn't in agreement with this kind of behavior. You'd find HIM(when alive)keeping company with the most ordinary of people, the lowest of all people; just hanging out there, being, walking the earth, sharing whatever life brought him on that day in terms of food and a place to lay the head that night, and he continuously tried teaching his followers to do the same. That the end result of all that HE began, this man named Jesus, turning worship that was as simple as the sharing of a meal, the sharing of company,into an absolute plethora of money temples, blindly following ritual rather than what HE taught them, would certainly, undoubtedly and totally piss him off.
So, in essence why anyone would want that kind of "religion" in their life is beyond me.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 09:15 pm
@Futurist,
Quote:
I just need God and He is REAL.

Prove God is real, and oh, btw define what you mean by the term "God."
spendius

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 03:35 am
The Tour de France just wouldn't be the same without the views of all those beautiful churches and cathedrals the TV production show us from all sorts of angles.

I sometimes wonder what effect it would have on us if they weren't there. They seem to defeat time. It would be an animal farm without them.
0 Replies

soccer12

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 02:11 pm
@kuvasz,
look around you.. where did all of this creation come from? where did you come from?
JLNobody

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2010 06:13 pm
@kuvasz,
Before I can say why I want religion in my life I must determine what I mean by religion. And that's a major project in itself.
0 Replies

jakobokaj

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 06:46 pm
@mrhunt,
People who have known nothing besides a god, have been taught since birth maybe and been around religion all their lives to date.

It becomes a sort of bias, something you perceive to be "true" and nothing else..

For people who only turn to it later in life, it could be a way to escape like anything else, or, like you said, to fill a void. A void that is devoid of any passion in life, or any real happiness. Not to say religion is a travesty of passion or happiness, just that, it fills the void a non-religious passion/happiness would have filled, in my opinion, a more important one

But, like I said, my opinion..
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2010 12:32 pm
@soccer12,
I care more about where I am going instead of from where I came. Don't you?
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Sun 25 Jul, 2010 03:00 pm
Why religion?- define religion.
Why a specific religion? Usually because it envelopes your core beliefs.
Why organized religion? Usually because of the fellowship you share with others who have the same or very similar beliefs.
Why God? Usually because you feel his presence in your life. You've seen things happen that could only be explained as God's providence. You feel an inner voice- consience- that holds you to a higher standard than self.
(christian)You've seen how his influence changes lives. You've met his son (and hence God) in those who embody his character in their lives.

If we would think about it there are three basic questions that cause us all, at one time or another, to pause and contemplate. Three questions that probably each one of us have asked, pondered, and tried to form answers.
The three questions? Where do we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going? For christians their religion answers these questions.

AwTin

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:21 am
@mrhunt,
>>It was only for a short while and i didnt mind it but now For so many reasons im a strong beleiver of Athiesm and Nihilism....<<

One might think such an avid atheist would know how to spell it. And would know neither atheism nor nihilism is a proper noun.
0 Replies

AwTin

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 11:25 am
@auroreII,
>>The three questions? Where do we come from? Why are we here? Where are we going? For christians their religion answers these questions.<<

I almost think it's less about the answers themselves than it is about having an answer to begin with. Most people cannot deal with ignorance nor uncertainty, so if believing in a fantasy fills the gap, then the paranoia subsides.

I think what most people need a dose of is not only peace with but joy in not having all the answers. In my opinion, the pursuit of answers is sometimes more interesting.
soccer12

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2010 12:07 am
@AwTin,
I disagree. As a Christian, I do not use my religion to just have answers. I do believe in what the Bible says, yet I still do not know if it's a true.. that is why it is a religion based on Faith. I can never know if it's all true until I have died. To me, being a Christian isn't about having answers to everything, because we don't, but rather it is a choice to serve a God and to live and life pleasing to Him.
0 Replies