RainSoft Gold series... need to replace the carbon filter?

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 01:18 pm
I purchased a RainSoft Gold series ~4 years ago, with an activated carbon filter next to the resin tank. At that time the installer told me I needed to replace the carbon filter every 2 years. I haven't replaced it, and was wondering if I should. If so, how is the filter cartridge removed from the tank, and where can I purchase a replacement filter cartridge? Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,949 • Replies: 13
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 05:52 pm
You have a GAC filter, it probably has a simple in & out QRS valve.
Owners should have these dumped and re bed with fresh coconut shell granulated activated carbon every 36 months.

spamhurts

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 07:35 pm
Is this a DIY project? Where can I get the filter media/cartridge? Thanks.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 09:39 pm
Any of us online dealers, or an independent local dealer can sell you whatever amount you need. You need to know the cuft volume or the size of your tank.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:17 am
You can dump and re bed the tank yourself. There is a procedure
that must be followed and you want to use the correct media.

What size is your tank? 10x44? The size should be printed on a tag.
spamhurts

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:11 pm
The size is not on the label; however, the model number is QRS 844. The external circumference is just a little over 27 inches. Using a little simple math, the external diameter is 8.59 inches. The unit is partially buried, so I can't measure the height easily.
0 Replies

justalurker

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 07:21 pm
spamhurts wrote:
The size is not on the label; however, the model number is QRS 844. The external circumference is just a little over 27 inches. Using a little simple math, the external diameter is 8.59 inches. The unit is partially buried, so I can't measure the height easily.

H2O_MAN will know that is an 8x44 tank and advise you.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 11:05 am
An 844 is a 8" x 44" tank and that holds a 3/4 cuft volume of mineral.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 11:16 am
Bingo Exclamation
0 Replies

spamhurts

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 12:04 pm
H2O_MAN mentioned a procedure that must be followed... What is the procedure for swapping out the media, and for that matter any suggestions on what type of media I should buy? Thanks!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 12:14 pm
spamhurts wrote:
H2O_MAN mentioned a procedure that must be followed... What is the procedure for swapping out the media, and for that matter any suggestions on what type of media I should buy? Thanks!

I will refer you to the DIY king ... Gary Slusser.
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 11:18 pm
I send very detailed instructions and offer tool free phone support with all the products I sell. The instructions are too large for a post in a forum.
0 Replies

Bok3

Reply Mon 16 Dec, 2013 06:28 pm
@spamhurts,
Spam- I know you posted this like 5 years ago, but I also have this QRS 844 and now need to replace the filter media. I was wondering if you were able to do it successfully and if so, could you give me some helpful hints? Thanks!
0 Replies

Earthfriendly

Reply Thu 9 Oct, 2014 10:54 pm
@H2O MAN,
I have Gold series Rainsoft and when I moved the carbon tank had never been replaced. At my new place the water smells like sulpher. I need a new tank. I gave mine to the ecowater guy to throw out. Where can I find a used one? They are $1000 new?
Cindy Wines
0 Replies