Mexican painting

JLNobody

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:28 pm
art
Yes, Fbaezer. Tamayo has always been one of my favorites. When I studied (one year) at the San Carlos Academy, Tamayo was not well spoken of (by art students and teachers, that is). I understand that he was an outsider in the glory days of the Holy Trinity because of his refusal to be a social realist. My love of Abstract Expressionism at the time was not appreciated, as it was in the U.S.. Tamayo was a moral support for me. His painterliness, harmonious compositions, and coloring are still fascinating. I havn't really kept up with Mexican painting over the years; I'll be eager to look up those you recommend. Thanks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:40 pm
Gironella does a lot with a limited palette, I really like some of them, and I immediately liked Soriano...though I wonder if there is a second Soriano..

have to look up the B. Lewin gallery, which is probably out of business. Used to be on Beverly Drive, I think, in Beverly Hills, and repped some monetarily successful Mexican artists.
Anyway, the name Soriano is familiar.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:45 pm
osso, I really like that photo of the partially opened door with the panes on both the door and in the background. The geometry is excellent, including the angle the photo was taken.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:59 pm
I like her work generally, very strong. Didn't realize she was italian til I relooked at the link. I connect her most strongly with Mexico 'in my mind'.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
I'm certain JLNobody is familiar with Dr. Atl and his landscapes:

http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/tonysarticles/ph58tbatl.html
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 04:30 pm
art
Fbaezer, Thanks for some wonderful shots. Murillo's "rayos", "Popo," and "Paracutin" works are amazing. I don't recall much of his work. Only knew that he was one of the early muralistas.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 05:08 pm
hey, Im learning whole amounts of things artistic that Ive failed to stop and view in my lifes journey. Im amazingly ignorant of Mexican artists. As much as I am of Native American artists. Ill start with Osso and JL's links,
Sit here in comfort, cup a tea and Im off to visit some sites.
Anybody see any work by Enrique Jezik?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:14 pm
http://cerritos.cyberbro.com/josehdelgadillo/Pepe1.html
I missed this fellow from JLN's list before...
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 07:38 pm
Enrique Guzmán had a short life (1952-86), and is having posthumous(sp?) recognition.

http://www.nexos.com.mx/internos/galeria/guzman8.htm#top
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 02:08 pm
art
Great to see Farmerman back.
You might find a number of Tamayo's paintings with large, round faces dominating the canvas. These are not among my favorites in Tamayo's oeuvre. 400 (whom we do not see much of here lately) observed, usefully, that this is an influence from Jean Dubuffet, who coined the term "art brut."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 07:50 pm
I don't particularly like the roundfaced Tamayos either. I do like the paintings on the link given earlier...a great deal. I remember him as painting large too...isn't there one as you are in the main downstairs room in the museo di antropologia (sp?)? it held its own with the room, in memory.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 08:37 pm
art
Osso, I can't remember. It's been decades since I have gone to that magnificent museum. All I recall of the first floor is the precolumbian materials. Upstairs it was ethnographic stuff, i.e., the material culture of living Indian communities. Is that how it was when you last saw it?
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 03:36 pm
I saw Diego Riviera's murals in the courtyard of the Detroit Institute of Art and was spellbound. I didn't see its political implications but rather its
awesome celebration of the man's strength and the dignity of his work. The entire courtyard, comprised of 4 walls and many architectural details,
only presented one very small, fully assembled car. It was, to me, utterly poetic and infinitly creative. People in Motor City must have adored his celebration of their town.......

I have since seen Stanley Spencer's work.... possibly executed earlier or at the same time of a ship builders yard in England.....Again, the celebration of the strength and dignity of man and his labour.....without
discounting its enormous toll......electrifying art (to me!)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:03 pm
Once I finish these damn paintings I will dig out my Siqueiros book and do some scanning and add photos to this thread.

Remind me if I forget...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:06 pm
art
Great, Osso. And I'll get off my butt and find some pictures also. We havn't begun to explore this fascinating topic. We might even expand it to latin american art in general.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 09:37 pm
Oh, yes. I need to get a friend from Argentina to come join a2k art forum. He is an architect/painter/art historian who I have corresponded with for a while sporadically. He just sent me a catalog with photos of work done by Buenos Aires artists about Buenos Aires. Wonderful work from my pov. Will scan it in too, once I get myself in gear here.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 09:31 am
If you expand the discussion to Latin American artists, how about Botero? I believe he was once asked why he painted only fat people. He answered, "What fat people?"

Looking forward to going through the links .....
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2003 01:41 pm
art
Shepaints, "What fat people?" Thanks, you've made my day. Still laughing out loud.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 06:59 pm
Belkin did not seem to find his own style though I
enjoyed his combining images from his life in
two countries.

Siquieros undoubtedly a maestro, that power, that
emotion combined with awesome technique.......
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:47 pm
I guess I am revealing myself....I like art with
social importance.......
0 Replies