Base Ball Sucks

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 02:50 pm
mismi wrote:

You know, now that I think about it - when I was younger I seemed to like basketball better. It was more showy - quite flashy and of course Michael Jordin was amazing -

but the older I got the less interesting it was. I agree with you Linkat...though I am not sure about me being much of a thinker. I think the game has some amazing moments that are worth waiting for. But I do enjoy it much more in person...even minor league is fun when you have a beer and peanuts - singing Sweet Caroline and fussing at the ump. Yep...that's big fun.

Love the minor league teams - been to PawSox, Brockton Rox, and SeaDogs lots of times.

Also, I get bored in general watching sports on TV (and just about anything on TV) - usually when I'm watching, I'm also doing something else.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 02:53 pm
Also, I do like watching football too - that is a more exciting sport to watch than basketball. In my younger days, I also loved hockey, but not so much now.

Now my favs are football and baseball. There is also another reason why these sports outshine some of the others - the uniforms. The football uniforms are the best. The nice broad sholders and tight pants and then in the huddle when they bend over. Baseball isn't too bad except some wear the bagger look.

Basketball uniforms s*ck.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:08 pm
I am a Barons, Biscuit and Baybears fan. ( all Alabama minor league) and though I am a RedSox fan - I still like to follow the players when they get to the bigs -

Football is great - really - baseball and football are just a way of life here....August through January we enjoy football - it ends just in time for you to rest a bit and gear up for baseball...perfect really.

and I agree...basketball uniforms s*ck
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 03:45 pm
I greatly enjoy watching baseball--basketball and football put me to sleep, without fail. It is true that baseball has become somewhat boring, on television, but then, since they began to broadcast baseball games, the game has lengthened, to justify the advertising time. Before baseball games were commonly broadcast on television, they used to end in a little over an hour.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 04:22 pm
Didn't they recently change the rules somewhat to eliminate crotch-scratching time at the mound, fake throws, etc?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 04:29 pm
Dunno
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 9 May, 2008 06:29 pm
It all depends on how much you do understand the game.

I happen to love baseball. Not only I know the rules, I understand the strategy, enjoy every pitch and love a aesthetics of the game. And I don't really have a favorite team.

Football (American), I like, but I don't get many of the details a true fan can (specially if a former College player, like a friend of mine: I enjoy the games I get to watch with him).

Basketball. I know less about the strategy, so I enjoy less, and very seldom watch a game. Too many points, IMHO. Prefer olympic type of basketball than NBA.

Football (real one, the one Americans call soccer). Great sport to watch, again, if you are familiar with strategies. If you're not, and the game is defensive, you can knock yourself against the wall. I like it a lot. Almost as much as baseball.

Hockey. Fun to watch, even if you're not knowledgeable. Sometimes the puck moves just too damn fast. On the rink, it's even more fun.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 02:52 am
love watching baseball -- always have.
it helps when the announcers are funny.
don and jerry crack us up every night.
sometimes all you can hear over the air is them chuckling...

Set wrote:
Before baseball games were commonly broadcast on television, they used to end in a little over an hour.

really? i find that hard to believe.
these days, 2:15 is about as fast as they can do a 9-inning game.
unless you have 2 fast-working starting pitchers, most games get stretched to about 3 hours...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 04:05 am
of course, every now and then one of these breaks out during a game...
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 04:14 am
"There's a frustration level you just don't want to mess with right now and you saw some of it there.."

Ya think?

Good stuff - thanks for sharing
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 04:24 am
For the best explanation of how the game of football had become the supersedeas sport to baseball in the US, one should read MArk Bowdens new book"The Greatest GAme" its an analysis of the very game that started footballs ascendancy to the top of the heap.

As a kid,I only remember football or professional basketball as the sports we watched during the cold, dark times of the year, mostly while we waited for baseball to begin again (Bill Bryson said that, Im just glomming it)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 10:02 am
Region Philbis wrote:

Don and Jerry (in particular) in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEvN8SYaDU
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 10:33 am
Actually, Its just the Mariners that suck - currently. Sad
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 11:25 am
jespah wrote:
Region Philbis wrote:

Don and Jerry (in particular) in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFEvN8SYaDU

I'm another Don and Jerry fan. Sometimes they giggle like little girls
0 Replies

VaneEnglish

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 01:00 pm
donĀ“t know, i prefer soccer....
0 Replies