USPS food drive this Saturday!

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:35 pm
This is one of my favorite events so I always like to remind everyone.

If your community participates all you have to do is put non-perishable food items in a bag by your mail box and your letter carrier picks it up for delivery to the food bank.

Every little bit helps!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,384 • Replies: 6
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:39 pm
And many communities have a box at the post office too Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:46 pm
We have sub-contracted carriers that use their own vehicles. Most do not have room for picking up the food left at mailboxes. Last year the PO contacted me and asked if they could have the Clubhouse be a designated drop off and they would bring a truck by at the end of the day. I agreed to do that and let the neighborhood know not to leave it at the mailbox, but to bring it to the gazebo by the pool.

Several days later (maybe a week!) the food was still sitting there despite several calls to the PO to please come and get it. Bear ended up taking it down to the Food Bank in his truck. Unfortunately, some of the stuff (mac and cheese in boxes kinda stuff) was discarded since I couldn't tell if ants or other bugs had gotten into it.

So, if you have rural or sub-contracted carriers, please check with your PO or carrier to see if they will pik up at your mailbox before you leave it out.... Or, take it to the PO.

Agreed, Boomer. This is a great cause. Many of the Food Banks here are low / near empty due to the increased food prices.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 06:54 pm
I got a postcard from the local postmaster announcing this in my mail today too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:02 am
Yes, me too!

This keeps coming up and it keeps coming up that we don't do it around here -- got the postcard yesterday and thought of you, boomer.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:28 am
In my new neighborhood they actually put signs up on the streets announcing the food drive AND they send out postcards. I'm thinking the food banks must be empty.

There was an article in my paper the other day about a school that started a backpack program to send kids home with enough food to get them through the weekend. Summer is coming up fast and there won't be any backpacks full of food going home every weekend.

This is just such an easy way to make a difference.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 11:53 am
We've got our boxes ready. Smile
0 Replies