Life Insurance on a Non-Relative

gollum

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 04:49 pm
Is it legal for a person to permit a life insurance policy to be written on her name where someone other than her will pay any and all costs of the policy and someone other than her will receive any payment(s) by the insurance company on the policy and she will be paid a lump sum upfront to agree to this arrangement?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,294 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 04:51 pm
The person buying the policy basically has to be able to prove that they have an interest in the insured person staying alive.

"insurable interest"
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:00 pm
ehBeth
Thank you for your very prompt answer.

In this case, there is no "insurable interest," so apparently it is not permissible.

Is there a victim and/or a basis to consider it contrary to the public interest? The old lady on whose life the policy is bought, is better off by the amount of money offered to her. The person/people inducing her apparently are better off or they wouldn't offer her the deal. The insurance company is apparently better off or it wouldn't offer the policy for sale.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:08 pm
Re: Life Insurance on a Non-Relative
gollum wrote:
ehBeth
Thank you for your very prompt answer.

In this case, there is no "insurable interest," so apparently it is not permissible.

Is there a victim and/or a basis to consider it contrary to the public interest? The old lady on whose life the policy is bought, is better off by the amount of money offered to her. The person/people inducing her apparently are better off or they wouldn't offer her the deal. The insurance company is apparently better off or it wouldn't offer the policy for sale.

The insurance company is making the offer contingent upon the insurable interest being in place. You don't see them advertising for the general public to take out life insurance policies on random strangers living in nursing homes do you? Wink If you read the fine print on any insurance offer you'll see that there are references to conditions of acceptance by the insurer.

If anyone could take out a policy on anyone they chose, I'd have a few dozen taken out on some 90+ year olds I know...
0 Replies

gollum

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 05:14 pm
ehBeth-

I see.

Though -- I guess -- the insurance company knows the age of the person on whose life the policy is written. Perhaps the reason is, it gives the person who does not have an economic interest in the person's life an economic motive to murder the person.
0 Replies