Store Bought "Fresh" Green Beans

cjhsa

Reply Wed 7 May, 2008 04:27 pm
To me, these always taste contaminated with TCA, the same stuff that "corks" a wine, and sometimes shows up in "baby" carrots.

What do they do that guarantees these to taste like crap? Asparagus doesn't suffer the same indignance. Why just the beans?

It's gotten to where I will only eat them fresh from my garden.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 02:37 am
I was listening to this radio show and this doctor (doctors) were saying that the best thing for your health was vegetables (especially green ones) grown locally by small farmers because they were most likely not mass produced so their are less chemicals and the soil is richer and the are truly fresh as opposed to shipped and dead for long distances.

But besides that it keeps the money in your hometown to people that use the money for their families as opposed to some corporate pig and it aint shipped all over the friggin place going through god knows what.

The farmer grows the food, you give him the money and BAM........old fashioned American deal among proud working men.

F#@K those corporate chemical poison veggies.

LETS GROW OUR OWN FOOD!!!!!! thats still legal aint it???? for now
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:26 am
you may be smelling the residual breakdown product of DDT, which is Dichloro diphenyl TCA (really). The lower metabolites of DDT can smell like TCA so , IMHO, youve been buying beans that were produced in MEJICA. Stands to reason. In order to get rid of the taste and odor, use a really good detergent and wash them and then rinse em off well so you dont have the soap flavor.

I dont know of any uses in AG where TCA is sprayed directly , other than some places in CAlif had used its sister TCE to kill weeds (before TCE was shown to be dangerous)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:35 am
have you tried the organic beans?

I think what Farmerman said is right on.
And I know the taste you are talking about . Blleeccch.
Sometimes, Roma tomatoes get that same taste too

I too am eating small things like that only from what I grow, or going to the farmers market weekly.

what do y ou have growing in that garden of yours anyway?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:44 am
A house garden should produce those things that, with care and abundance, can provide those special flavors that only fresh foods can give you in the dark of winter. We dont grow man y root crops or potatoes, they have no special travel need and I havent noticed a really "Special" flavored potato.
Tomatoes , on the other hand, and string beans, MUST be grown in a house garden and used both fresh and frozen. You cannot imagine a aeoli spaghetti sauce with fresh (frozen) runner beans in mid January, or a shimp creaole with chunks of frozen fresh tomatoes that were from your last summers garden.

People who live in cities miss the wonderdful fresh flavors unless, like JOE NATION, would take to driving a few hours south into New Jersey or up to Connecticut , to buy veggies.

We grow basil by the bucket and lots of varieties of hot peppers (as these are my substitute for salt).

Ive got 1 row of beans in now, and I plant them every two weeks until July (I dont think were going to MAine this year so Im gonna go nuts in the garden)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 05:50 am
For the first time in my gardening 'life' I plucked and ate a fresh tomato last night.

It was sort of like the holy grail..

never.. will I ever jump through hoops to get tomatos at a store again.

I only regret not being more diligent about planting tomatos . I need more. That .. was .. awesome. I get you now.. when you say there is no comparison. There really isnt.

I too have buckets of Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, and chives.

I have spearmint, orange spearmint, chamomile and lavender ( not doing so well) for spices. They are all big enough that I can just snip with scissors what I need for dinner.

Bell pepper plants all over the back.. but have only given me truly small peppers.. but, life in a pot does that to ya I guess.

Next year, now that I have created more space on my patio and I plan on building a tree tiered plant stand , I want to try my hand at lettuces and broccoli..
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:24 am
farmerman wrote:
you may be smelling the residual breakdown product of DDT, which is Dichloro diphenyl TCA (really). The lower metabolites of DDT can smell like TCA so , IMHO, youve been buying beans that were produced in MEJICA. Stands to reason. In order to get rid of the taste and odor, use a really good detergent and wash them and then rinse em off well so you dont have the soap flavor.

I dont know of any uses in AG where TCA is sprayed directly , other than some places in CAlif had used its sister TCE to kill weeds (before TCE was shown to be dangerous)

Could it be the green beans where from South America? We important a lot of grocery crops from there between October and May. They use chemicals that have been banned in the US for decades.

I agree that it's best is grow your own, when possible. Second is to buy from a farmer's market or local stand. Third is supermarket organic from the USA. Chinese organic is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:25 am
Quote:
Chinese organic is an oxymoron

huh?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:27 am
shewolf, you just plant your garden in pots?

Now that I've got the gardening itch, as far as plants and flowers, I keep thinking I need to branch out into food.

Probably too late for this year, huh?

My backyard has that poor soil, and it would cost a fortune to enhance it and prepare. But the idea of something small, starting out really small, a pot of this or that, interests me.

I don't want to get overwhelmed with a lot of new growing techniques. What you all of you recommend as the ONE vegetable I could start with?

We both love tomato and cucumber. Wally loves green peppers, me, not so much.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:28 am
herbs.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:29 am
there is nothing like fresh herbs in your food to make you wanna grow your own food Smile

Yeah..everything of mine is in pots.
Remember how tiny my porch is?

Im gathering old wood to construct a 3 tiered post stand for the back porch so that I can have more.

In the front is where my little 'garden' is..

in the back is where I want to grow food
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:33 am
It doesn't take much $$$ to fix "poor soil". 40lb bags of topsoil and steer manure can be had for about $1.50 or less. Rent a tiller. Use some additional fertilizer if necessary. That's what fertilizer is for.

What's in my garden right now? Spinach, romaine, onions, broccoli, and peas. We can't plant warm weather crops until about June 1 here.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:33 am
Chai wrote:

We both love tomato and cucumber. Wally loves green peppers, me, not so much.

All good in pots. You just have to keep them watered because they dry out quickly.

Here are the basics:

Crops in pots
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 06:35 am
sweet.

great link
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:45 am
hey green witch, thanks, I'll look at that later on.

herbs?

meh Confused

Honestly? When I cook from scratch, I never use 'em.

My tastes are really simple.

cumcumbers, onions and tomatos with balsamic vinegar....doesn't need more than that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 8 May, 2008 07:49 am
cjhsa wrote:
It doesn't take much $$$ to fix "poor soil". 40lb bags of topsoil and steer manure can be had for about $1.50 or less. Rent a tiller. Use some additional fertilizer if necessary. That's what fertilizer is for.

What's in my garden right now? Spinach, romaine, onions, broccoli, and peas. We can't plant warm weather crops until about June 1 here.

We already amended our entire front yard...no grass, just tree and plants.

It was a lot of hard work, digging (and tilling) in in clay that was alternately rock hard or like glue. I know what it would take, and I'm not going to go through all that for vegetables for 2 people.

Pots will do me just fine.
0 Replies

jodie34

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2008 09:38 pm
Meat Loaf
Looking for a receipe for Meat loaf. I just make the basic one that my mom use to make.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:10 am
Re: Meat Loaf
jodie34 wrote:
Looking for a receipe for Meat loaf. I just make the basic one that my mom use to make.

Google search on "Paul Prudhomme's Cajun Meatloaf". It's by far the best meatloaf recipe ever written.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:15 am
Green Witch wrote:
farmerman wrote:

Could it be the green beans where from South America? We important a lot of grocery crops from there between October and May. They use chemicals that have been banned in the US for decades.

I agree that it's best is grow your own, when possible. Second is to buy from a farmer's market or local stand. Third is supermarket organic from the USA. Chinese organic is an oxymoron.

I must disagree.
I have spent 15 years hauling produce, and between Oct and May much of the produce is grown in and around the Yuma Az area.
We do import produce from Mexico during that time, but it is grown on US owned farms along the border.
We do however import a lot of fruit from south America during that time.
0 Replies