my favourite communist roots

djjd62

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:15 pm
Cold Sweet Borsch

Description
Cold Sweet Borsch is a traditional summer dish. Light, refreshing and rich invitamins, it will diversify your summer table.

Method
Wash dried fruits carefully, pour over cold water, add sugar and cook on medium heat. Cut beet into strips, pour over hot water, add vinegar and salt and cook until beet is soft. Add cooked fruits with water and cubed potatoes to beet, boil for 20 minutes. Cool down. Serve in deep plates with chopped eggs, green and sour cream.

Ingredients
400 g beet.
400 g potatoes.
4 tb dried fruits.
3 tb vinegar.
2 ts salt.
3 1/2 ts sugar.
pepper.
sour cream.
hard-boiled eggs.
spring onion.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,014 • Replies: 3
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:21 pm
Never learned to like the Yiddish version. I was raised on the Galicianer version which is filled with veal chunks and ham bits in a more hearty sweet and vinegar laced beet broth. The pieces of veggies and meat are cut large . Also, the addition of kimmel (caraway seed) in the broth makes a nice touch. This version is a winter soup mostly, and is enjoyed with big hunks of crusty bread.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 6 May, 2008 07:34 pm
djj, when you say "pour over cold water" do you mean to put the fruits in a pan and cover them with cold water? If that's it, should the hot water over the beets be hot tap water or boiling water?

Thanks - I like beets and the soup sounds wonderful!
0 Replies

sabixatzil1

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 08:21 am
Oooooh, it IS wonderfull!

My granny used to make both versions (shes originally from Ukraine), I like the one without meat in it. It can still be cooked with beef & bones, and both of them actually taste better when hot (don't enjoy cold soups much).

I'd take out the kimmel too, don't like the flavor.

What I do like (and is done traditionally) is eating it with fresh cloves of garlic (beside the country bread). Sour cream is used too, but I don't like that either Razz
0 Replies