Horse Racing: The 2008 Derby

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:12 pm
Good grief, what a terrible terrible Derby!

Eight Belles

Crying or Very sad
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,073 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 03:19 pm
knowing next-to-nothing about this sport, i couldn't help wondering why her front ankles weren't taped?

http://blogs.usatoday.com/gameon/images/2008/05/05/8bellesforblog.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 04:47 pm
I have always thrilled to races like the Derby. No more. I don't enjoy watching animals stretched beyond reasonable limits like that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 05:37 pm
A friend who knows horses has always said those three year olds are doing too much too soon. I suppose there are breeding questions too.

Damn, I've always loved thoroughbreds racing, ever since the first race I saw on tv - think it was the 1954 Derby won by a horse named Swaps, which I picked out at a neighbor's house during the parade, since I liked the name. I was twelve, don't think I'd ever heard of the K. Derby or any other horse race. And he won. After we moved to California, my dad took me to see him at Hollywood Park. Those were the days I first started reading Sports Stories of the Year books from the library, and first got Sports Illustrated. Had quite a stack, which I tossed (slits wrists, re collectors, but never mind, that was one of the ways I learned about a wider world.)

I've loved Secretariat... (and so have some horsies.) Oh, don't get me started on the beauty.
Long time fav, John Henry.

My husband and I used to go to Santa Anita, not to bet, but to see the first races from the rail, and then we'd go over to the Arboretum for the afternoon, carefully leaving before the stands at S. Anita emptied. Those were always good days.

Eight Belles not the first.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:03 pm
This is part of a commentary by Frank DeFord gave on April 30th. I had not know they mix up the distances like this, and it does seem dangerous to have these young horses run the longer distances first, with no building up to it......

I really feel badly for the poor animal.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:12 pm
And Barbaro and Ruffian and and...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, as I don't follow much any more. But I still love the beauty.

Lovely photo in one of the Guardian photo series in the last week or two. Back with a photo.

Which brings up Cutter's Way, the horse scene. I've given links to that before here. Forgive me, a favorite movie, I'm a cult of one. See the movie, don't look up the scene, that would be a spoiler.

Back with the Guardian link first.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 May, 2008 06:26 pm
On the Guardian, I guess I'm late. Can't figure out how to access prior photos in the 24 hr series. Will try again when my humor is better.

A2K amaz link to Cutter's Way

I saw it on Netflix not long ago. Slow by some standards, though I like it for real life aspects. So, I'll just call it languid.... but pay attention. Eh, still a movie of mine. Plus the barn photography. Freeze it for x seconds...
0 Replies