I ate a chicken salad sandwich today.

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:57 am
kickycan wrote:
I was just wondering what you thought of it. Just conversin'. So have you been to L.A.? how did you like it?

I have not been to Los Angeles. I've been to San Fransisco, Marin County, Berkeley, that area.

How'd I like it? Well, I thought the light was amazing, I was impressed that lemon trees grow in peoples backyards and everyone was, like, a jillion times more mellow than they were on the East Coast.

With that said, I prefer the East Coast, I like being around edgy people who flip you the bird while driving, and good manners are nill. I never feel my day is complete until I see someone spitting in the subway terminal. Oh, and I like to jaywalk, which they take very seriously out there and will slap you with a ticket.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:13 am
I miss my lemon tree.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:15 am
cjhsa wrote:
I miss my lemon tree.

Now there's a good signature line.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:37 am
Quote:
it was pretty much a typical question for you?"

I was born to question, dude.

http://www.xmradio.com/images/onXM/landing_pages/larryking/larry.jpg

I'm curious.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:27 am
Actually, kicky, I think CA would suit you, especially at this stage in your life when you are so jonesing for a change. But I predict you won't be out there permanently, only because you've lived in NYC, which will call you back.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:38 am
Gala wrote:
Actually, kicky, I think CA would suit you, especially at this stage in your life when you are so jonesing for a change. But I predict you won't be out there permanently, only because you've lived in NYC, which will call you back.

Either that or you'll be watching a sunset on the beach, catch of whiff of Tokyo, and start to miss NY.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:15 pm
Gala wrote:
mismi wrote:
Not from New England...southern girl..and I have no clue where I come from - little bit a this..little bit a that...but I luvs me some chicken salad...

What is it you love about it? Is it the Miracle Whip? I simply cannot relate. It's so bland, so nothing, so chicken salad.

I like light mayo - grapes, pecans and celery - wee bit of garlic - chop up a rotisserie chicken and mix it together...it is GOOD!

and I had horrible nose bleeds when I was pregnant with the twins...I actually left the emergency room with a tampon sticking out of the bottom of my nostril...so I could head to the EENT's - they had to cauterize the inside of my nose with silver nitrate...it was a lovely sight..very large bellied woman with a tampon and string protruding out the end of my already swollen nose - apparently I carried most of my baby weight there across my face. I had a magazine up high while I waited for the Dr. to call me back...very embarrassing...I was a vision - but it did work.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 01:26 pm
That'll probably get funnier as years go by...

I was hit on the nose by a high speed dense red rubber ball when I was about nine. Got nosebleeds for a long time after, and got them to stop by wadding tissue - or was it brown kraft paper? - and putting it between my upper lip and front teeth and up over the gums.. eventually had it cauterized. Yaack re the nosebleeding thing.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:09 pm
mismi wrote:
Not from New England...southern girl..and I have no clue where I come from - little bit a this..little bit a that...but I luvs me some chicken salad...

I like light mayo - grapes, pecans and celery - wee bit of garlic - chop up a rotisserie chicken and mix it together...it is GOOD!

and I had horrible nose bleeds when I was pregnant with the twins...I actually left the emergency room with a tampon sticking out of the bottom of my nostril...so I could head to the EENT's - they had to cauterize the inside of my nose with silver nitrate...it was a lovely sight..very large bellied woman with a tampon and string protruding out the end of my already swollen nose - apparently I carried most of my baby weight there across my face. I had a magazine up high while I waited for the Dr. to call me back...very embarrassing...I was a vision - but it did work.

Ah. You are talking about modern chicken salad. It does sound good. In stuffy ol' New England, where I was raised, it was drenched in Mayonnaise with a little celery added. Ghastly.

A Tampon up your nose...It worked.

At the previous job I had the boss would get occassional nose-bleeds and would stuff whole Kleenex up his nose and then talk to you with a total lack of self-consciousness. Comical, but truly bizarre. Not the Kleenex part, that was practical, but he could have spared the rest of us having to look at him and waited for it to subside.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 08:59 pm
Quote:

Agreeden! Chicken salad = Yum!

(I like the grapes and pecans version, but sometimes I use granny smith apple and walnuts -- sorta like a Waldorf salad! Smile )
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:06 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I miss my lemon tree.

Keep practising - your aim will gradually improve!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 09:08 pm
Margo is my hero...

(in a sing song voice, over and over)

Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:23 pm
Gala wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I was just wondering what you thought of it. Just conversin'. So have you been to L.A.? how did you like it?

I have not been to Los Angeles. I've been to San Fransisco, Marin County, Berkeley, that area.

How'd I like it? Well, I thought the light was amazing, I was impressed that lemon trees grow in peoples backyards and everyone was, like, a jillion times more mellow than they were on the East Coast.

With that said, I prefer the East Coast, I like being around edgy people who flip you the bird while driving, and good manners are nill. I never feel my day is complete until I see someone spitting in the subway terminal. Oh, and I like to jaywalk, which they take very seriously out there and will slap you with a ticket.

I liked the more laid back attitude, in some ways. In others, I wanted to strangle people for being so oblivious to the fact that they were in my way and I was trying to get somewhere, thank you very much!

There seemed to be way less people walking around then I expected. I guess it's because they were all in their cars waiting in traffic. The beaches are great though. And driving on the PCH was just beautiful. I didn't feel like the people I dealt with were any more superficial than people here in New York, except for maybe the a-hole I talked to for a little while who was one of the ushers at the Starline Movie Stars' Homes Tour. He seemed kind of like an arrogant shithead.

L.A. seemed to be a pretty great place in a lot of ways. I don't know about living there though. Everything is so spread out. And I didn't see a whole lot of sidewalk cafes and cool funky bars like in New York. But since I was only there for a few days, I am sure I missed a LOT.

You are definitely right about New York. I love the edgy vibe.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 11:57 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
Quote:

Agreeden! Chicken salad = Yum!

(I like the grapes and pecans version, but sometimes I use granny smith apple and walnuts -- sorta like a Waldorf salad! Smile )

That sounds very yummy - will have to give that a try!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 12:08 am
There might be some proportionate more space in the back of cafes, K. Or maybe not. I spent a lot of time lamenting so few sidewalk cafes myself. But restaurants do, often, have back garden space.

Hard for me to defend one place agin the other, I like both a great deal.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 01:20 am
I love L.A. I love the laid back attitude...I am pretty laid back..though I will say, I love New York as well. L.A. was just beautiful...and the weather...oh my - it was perfect. I want to go back. I like San Fran too..though it always seems so windy.

I love New York because it gives me an adrenaline rush. It's like speed to me. I have a blast every time I go there.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:42 am
Mismi wrote:
Quote:
I love New York because it gives me an adrenaline rush.

Same here!

However,

Gala wrote:
Quote:
I like being around edgy people who flip you the bird while driving, and good manners are nill. I never feel my day is complete until I see someone spitting in the subway terminal.

To be honest, I can do without the bird-flipping and subway spitting.

But I also think NYC'ers get a bad rap with the "rudeness" stereotype. They might not act like something out of a PBS Masterpiece Theater play, but I wouldn't say manners are "nill" in NYC.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 05:56 am
kickycan wrote:
You are definitely right about New York. I love the edgy vibe.

And edgy you are, kicky. It's an East Coast thing, a badge of honor.

A lot of people who live in CA are not from there. At least that's what I noticed. Also, I found them to be a kind of a borderline phony-cheery optimistic lot.

And, the state has money problems up the Kazoo, a more weirdo guv'nor than most states, and it costs a kazillion dollars to live decently.

On the plus side, food is a super big deal, the scenery is something else, produce is fresher, they've produced 2 of my all time favorite painters--Richard Diebenkorn and Wayne Theibaud. Please check out the one painting I have linked to below. to me, he really understood the CA light.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/d/diebenkorn/cityscape_i.jpg
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:08 am
Gala wrote:

On the plus side, food is a super big deal, the scenery is something else, produce is fresher, they've produced 2 of my all time favorite painters--Richard Diebenkorn and Wayne Theibaud. Please check out the one painting I have linked to below. to me, he really understood the CA light.

http://www.artchive.com/artchive/d/diebenkorn/cityscape_i.jpg

That's an awesome painting...I think you are right..really good.

and I thought New Yorkers were great. I never got a sense of rudeness....focus...especially in the mornings...all that energy pointed onward toward whatever they are driven to. I thought it was all very cool.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 1 May, 2008 06:31 am
Quote:
and I thought New Yorkers were great.

Yes, they can be! Even helpful and friendly too!

I think your words "focus" and "energy" are on point, mismi.

I'm not saying rudeness doesn't exist, but I hate to see NYer's stereotyped that way. And..... I've never thought rudeness automatically = cool. :wink:
0 Replies