I ate a chicken salad sandwich today.

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:20 pm
During the past day or so I have traveled 2500 miles, from one side of the country to the other in a series of flying metal tubes of misery. I went from a sunny Los Angeles morning with my arm out the car window and 85 degrees to 45 degrees and shivering outside Terminal 1 at O'Hare Airport at midnight. Stranded overnight, I slept across three bolted-down, naugahyde-cushioned, really uncomfortable airport chairs for about two hours. I woke up with ridiculous cold air blowing on me from air vents directly above me, at which point I stumbled to my gate and waited like a zombie for my plane. I believe it was somewhere during this time that I realized that the airline industry was a complete and utter failure. Finally I caught my last flight back to sweet sweet New York City. I got some frequently-interrupted sleep while sitting upright in a bolted-down, fabric-covered, really uncomfortable airplane chair inside a flying metal tube of misery for about another hour.

I finally got home at 11:15 AM. I checked my e-mail and found that I had a job interview in less than two hours. I wrote a resignation e-mail to my current boss telling him I quit my job effective immediately. I hit send without much thought and went to bed. My alarm woke me at 11:50 AM. I checked my e-mail and found a response from my boss saying, "Are you serious?" I ignored it. I jumped in the shower, got ready, and went to my interview. I don't think I got it. I began to have little spells of lightheadedness. I came home and got a spontaneous nosebleed that just would not stop. I watched TV with two wads of kleenex stuffed up my nose until it stopped. Then I ate a chicken salad sandwich.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,934 • Replies: 64
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:25 pm
Hey Cowboy, get those symptoms checked out. I hope you enjoyed the sandwich.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:27 pm
and yet,

you STILL did not come over to my house

screw you man... screw you..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:31 pm
So, how'd the LA trip go?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:43 pm
Awesome. I liked Venice a lot. I got to walk around in the actual house in which they shot the final scenes of the original Halloween movie. Supercool. I gotta get some sleep now, but I'll tell more stories later.

The sandwich was not very satisfying for some reason, GW. I think maybe all that blood draining back into my throat killed some of the taste.

shewolf, I'm sorry. I would have liked to have visited you, but when I showed up at your door the last time and told your husband who I was, he chased me off your porch with a rake. Maybe next time.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:47 pm
Hey Kicky, did the pilot come on with the strong tailwind story so he could run it faster?

How's yer ears, still poppin' I bet.

Next time, if you follow the nice suits, there is a lounge hidden there somewhere that has comfy couches and sh*t... Shocked

Air travel is so fun...

RH
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:48 pm
What were you doing out in LA? You didn't make another cameo appearance on "To Catch a Predator" again, did you?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:52 pm
you get used to those flights if you do it often enough.

hope you find a job or that the boss takes you back.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 05:59 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
and yet,

you STILL did not come over to my house

screw you man... screw you..

whaddayamean?

were you lin LA?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:05 pm
Sounds like a totally crappy day. I feel so much better about my life now that I will offer this piece of advice -- kleenex up the nose will not stop a nosebleed but cold metal (keys, silverware, something) dropped down the back of your neck will.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:11 pm
go to a Tractor SUpply and buy some veterinary BLOOD STOPPER. WOrks great. I keep a squeeze bottle every time I have to go up high in the open air. I get terrific nosebleeds at altitudes over 7000 ft.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 06:23 pm
Poor Kicky...

But chicken salad sandwich...yummy :wink:
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 05:53 am
Are you saying chicken salad solves all? I'll tell you something, in some parts of the US chicken salad does diminish the angst of modern life.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:01 am
farmerman wrote:
go to a Tractor SUpply

I bet theyre easy to find in NooYAWK. Prolly one on every street corner.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:21 am
Gala wrote:
Are you saying chicken salad solves all? I'll tell you something, in some parts of the US chicken salad does diminish the angst of modern life.

I tell you it does.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:29 am
mismi wrote:
Gala wrote:

I tell you it does.

Mismi, are you from New England? Or are you of White Anglo Saxon Protestant descent?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:31 am
Cold metal down your neck... Um, does it come out with the chicken sandwich then?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:36 am
I find the chicken salad in NYC to be inferior to that elsewhere.

That and street fairs. How can you charge $8 for a tiny beer and force people to sit in restricted areas to drink them?

Go back to L.A. You'll feel better.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 06:57 am
Quote:
I wrote a resignation e-mail to my current boss telling him I quit my job effective immediately.

Quote:
I checked my e-mail and found a response from my boss saying, "Are you serious?" I ignored it.

Quote:
I watched TV with two wads of kleenex stuffed up my nose

Quote:
Then I ate a chicken salad sandwich.

So, it was pretty much a typical day for you?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 07:47 am
Yeah, pretty much. I lead a rich, fulfilling life.

I have a new saying. A great relaxing vacation is nothing a day dealing with the airlines can't fix.

But now I have had a decent night's sleep, so I can think about the vacation itself. What a good time.

I stayed in Marina Del Rey, a short walk from Venice beach. The first day I went to a sitcom taping which was fun and fascinating to me, since I think sitcom writer would have been a much more appropriate career choice for me. The sitcom I watched was "Til Death" with Brad Garret (he played Ray's brother on "Everybody Love's Raymond"). What a great guy he seemed to be. Very magnanimous, funny and friendly to we audience members. Also, the girl who plays the neighbor's wife is so hot I almost stickied my pants when she stood within five feet of me during a scene that she wasn't in.

I also rented a bike one day and rode all along the boardwalk from Venice to Santa Monica and all through the streets of Venice. That was a great day. I'm no architect, but I can see that this place is an architect's paradise. Many very odd and experimentally-designed houses out there.

Hollywood boulevard was cool, but not really all that impressive. I mean, it's really nothing much more than a bunch of idiots dressed up as hollywood characters walking around in front of a really big mall. But I could appreciate the history there on the walk of fame. By the way, my feet are bigger than John Wayne's! Ha!

One of the best parts of the trip was driving around the canyon roads in Malibu. What a view! Closest thing I think we have in America to the Amalfi Coast. Not that it's all that close, but it was pretty amazing. A place like that is good for the soul. it was good for mine, anyway.

Anwyay, more later.

Thanks for all the suggestions on nosebleed remedies and such. And yes, chicken salad cures all ills. That and never having to go to that shitty job ever again. I'm free once again!
0 Replies