I need builders' estimates, but how accurate is the quote?

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 04:09 am
Dear all,

My roof has reached the end of its natural life, so I asked some roofing contractors for their free estimates. Their quotes vary. When they begin the actual work, will the price be the same?

Does anyone have any experience in this matter? I need to set aside some money for the reroofing work, but I'm not sure if the builders' quote will be accurate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 925 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 05:32 am
Make sure you get real references on anyone you want to hire and take the time to go look at their work. It's true they will only name the happiest of their customers, but you still will come away with a better idea of the contractors skill and honesty. Most people like to tell the good and bad of their experiences with workman, If the customer has the same last name as the contractor - skip the customer and contractor.

Add 20% to the estimate for a cushion. A good contractor should be around his estimate or no more than 20% off when it comes to roofing or things like new windows. Tell him/her you want to know if there is any reason it looks like the estimate will be more before s/he does the work.

A customer who is watchful, but not a pain in the butt gets the best service from an honest contractor.

I assume you know to never hire anyone who just shows up at your house with great price, but the maternal gene in me requires I remind you of that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 06:41 am
fantasyvn- Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

You need to understand that the original quote may be modified, if problems come up during the installation. For instance, when I had my roof redone, there was an extra charge for each board that was under the roof that had to be replaced. Because we were getting leaks, there were a number of spots that had rot, and they had to be changed. The contractor gave us a picture of each spot that was unusable, before he put the new ones ine
0 Replies

Giranger

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:30 am
If you choose a roofer make sure he is Licenced and insured and get a certificate of insurance in your name, If they say there is damage wood then go up on the roof and have a look and make sure you get a warranty
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sun 6 Jul, 2008 08:55 am
When I had my roof replaced, the contractor asked if they could put up their company sign on my property. I went Idea and said sure, but it will cost you Very Happy. They said pay me Shocked . I said yep, advertising costs money. So, they agreed. The funny part is I watched in Confused as they erected the sign on my neighbor's property Laughing

Welcome to A2K! Very Happy
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 31 Jul, 2008 10:55 am
I would also suggest you contact your local Better Business Bureau and find out if any of the contractors you are talking to have had any complaints filed against them.
0 Replies