Changing over the title and registration fees question...

ck1

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:08 am
This is probably going to sounds strange:

My husband has a very nice BMW that has been sitting in our driveway for 4 years. Regrettably it had issues when he bought it and he never got around to fixing it due to cost and frustration. In any event, the car is not tagged. We would like to get it tagged (it is Titled in his name). My husband went to the DMV and they told him he had to pay back registration fees of nearly $1,500, even though the car hasn't been driven in years!

Would it be possible for him to sell me the car, and for me to tag it in my name (though we're married), and avoid paying the outrage fees? Or does the registration fees carry over to whoever owns it?

Bottom line: Is it possible for someone to buy a car that's titled, then register the car and not pay past negligent registration fees from the previous owener?

Just trying to figure this out. Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 866 • Replies: 11
No top replies

TTH

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:34 pm
Where the heck do you live? That would not apply in WA State.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 01:35 am
It would apply in New Mexico, but all you have to do is swear an afidavit that it hasn't been driven for the time in question. Some people at DMV will tell you about this; some won't bother. Depends on the state, and what kind of mood they happen to be in.
0 Replies

ck1

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:09 am
Thanks! I live in Georgia. So I have to ask for an affidavit?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:11 am
more then likely.

Can you prove that it has been sitting there?

meaning.. older photos of the car in the lot... a receipt for the estimate DATED 4 years ago.. etc?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:45 am
You can find out the info on-line (a little past 1/2 down the page). It sucks to live in Georgia.
http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/registration-faqs.php
0 Replies

ck1

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 03:17 pm
Thank you for sending the link! Perhaps that will work. We can also prove that it hasn't moved from the letter the association sent stating they were towing it because it's untagged and hasn't moved. We can also show that it hasn't been tagged since it was purchased, so therefore it hasn't been driven. Think that's enought???
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:30 pm
Try it. All I had to to, again in NM, was complete and sign the form.
0 Replies

ck1

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:38 pm
Currently the car is at the shop getting fixed. Next week we'll get it tagged, so wish us luck. I'll post the results in case it helps someone else in the same situation.

Thanks!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 09:33 pm
Good luck and it still sucks to live in Georgia Laughing :wink:
0 Replies

ck1

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 07:18 am
Okay, the resolution was....

We paid it. It was $1400. The deferral was for not having to pay insurance, otherwise it's just like owning a house and paying property tax; you can't avoid it just because you don't live in the house. We couldn't avoid the taxes just because we hadn't driven the car.

Oh well. Thanks everyone!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2008 08:50 am
Thank you for coming back and posting the outcome Very Happy
Sorry it wasn't in your favor Sad
0 Replies