Christian propaganda - it's everywhere.

jasonrest

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 04:34 pm
Re: Christian propaganda - it's everywhere.
aperson wrote:
fishin wrote:
aperson wrote:
fishin wrote:
If athiests get portrayed as you claim then maybe it's because those that people see as athiests tend to act that way. Take yourself for example...

This is immature and un-called for. One could say the same about certain theists...

Uncalled for? I don't see you denying it...

And yes, one could easily say the same for theists. You seem to be doing exactly that. Why do you think this only applies to theists? That's the interesting question.

Come on. What do you want me to say? "THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!"? Do you want me to spell it out for you?

The links between atheism and the characteristics portrayed are unfounded. The links between theism and some of the characteristics portrayed are founded.

I am not sure if you have, during the course of this discussion ever claimed outright that you were an atheist but if you are, I'm not sure if this topic and the emotion behind it helps the problem at all. If anything it only proves the very thing you're trying to disprove.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 10:45 pm
I am an atheist, and my emotion is certainly affecting my argument. I try hard to prevent bias, but I'm only human, and besides, a cornered animal becomes enraged (it's not exactly 1 on 1 here, is it?).
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 11:43 pm
aperson wrote:
(it's not exactly 1 on 1 here, is it?).

No it's not and I am no stranger to the position you're in. In fact I am all too familiar with it. I respect most peoples' opinion and If I disagree I'll do it respectfully...most of the time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:22 am
If you feel like a cornered animal, it's of your own creation.

Or you could behave as a human, and not an animal.

Your initial post was a house of cards, you simply did not think it through.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 04:47 am
aperson, responding to Fishin', wrote:
Come on. What do you want me to say? "THAT IS NOT TRUE!!!"? Do you want me to spell it out for you?

The links between atheism and the characteristics portrayed are unfounded. The links between theism and some of the characteristics portrayed are founded.

As an atheist, i disagree. There is a variety of atheist whom i consider the "religious" variety of atheist, who display all the characteristics of the religiously fervent. They make science their religion, believing all too often in what they plainly do not understand, and cannot defend in discussion. Having failed to inform themselves, they are left in no better position in an argument with theists than are the theists themselves whose initial premise is that a god exists, in whom they have faith absent proof.

You can't even seem to see how your own language undermines your point. You state (as an unsupported premise): "The links between atheism and the characteristics portrayed are unfounded." Leaving aside that this premise is unsupported, and that even an atheist such as am i can refute that on an anecdotal basis, you write of theists: "The links between theism and some of the characteristics portrayed are founded." Whether or not it were your intent, your manner of expression suggests that you set the bar higher for theism--that if an atheist does not display all of the traits referred to, that atheist is absolved of "ill-mental-health"; whereas the theist is condemned for displaying merely some of the traits referred to.

Personally, i object even to the use of "atheism," because atheist is for me simply a description of my condition--i am without god--whereas atheism implies holding a philosophical position with referent premises and claims, to which i am not prepared to subscribe.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 05:30 am
Quote:
Personally, i object even to the use of "atheism," because atheist is for me simply a description of my condition--i am without god--whereas atheism implies holding a philosophical position with referent premises and claims, to which i am not prepared to subscribe.

Set- I think that you have hit the nail on the head, not only for yourself, but for many people. To me, a god is simply a human construct designed to make some sense of their place in the universe. It is a method of allaying anxiety over serious issues of life and death. Over the years, this construct has been codified into various "religions", replete with tradition and ceremony, with each one jockeying for what people of each faith believe is the #1 spot.

What angers me is the arrogance and superciliousness of some religionists. It really pisses me off when politicians attempt to legislate based on their own (which should be) private beliefs. They are entitled to have them, but don't lay their trip on me. I ain't buying it.

I become annoyed when people automatically assume that I ascribe to a religion, but I don't get into fights with people about it. I have reached a point in my life where what other people think of me is not that terribly important, unless I really care about a certain person.

I too am without a god. If it weren't for the way that religion interferes with my life, in ways big and small, I would never even think about it.

I like the term "apatheist". Basically, to me, that term evoke my exact thoughts on the subject. I don't know, and I don't care.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 11:25 am
Is that, finally, the wisdom, Phoenix?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I don't know, and I don't care.

Which is probably why you and your fellow apathetics spend so much time posting on S&R.

I'm not buying it.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:17 pm
Francis wrote:
Is that, finally, the wisdom, Phoenix?

I never say "finally". To me, life is a process, and this is, after many decades, where I am now.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 01:13 pm
real life wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

Which is probably why you and your fellow apathetics spend so much time posting on S&R.

I'm not buying it.

Phoenix is far less like to post in S & R threads than a good many other people here.

What you selectively ignore is that this is a site which provides fora for people to discuss these topics. I only ever discuss religion and the self-delusions dear to the hearts of religionists at this site. Otherwise, the subject never comes up in my life, and i avoid any crackpot who wants to broach the topic with me.

You really stepped in it this time--Phoenix is one of the last people you should have accused of spending "so much time posting on S & R."
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 05:20 pm
saab wrote:
It is incorrect to ask if 83% of the Norwegians would be Methodists, because Lutheranism is the "historical" religion of Norway, a sort of reformed Roman Catholicism. State-sponsored religion is a term I have never seen. The correct term is the"established church" or "state church". That 83 percent still belong to the church in a country which is secular--it is very easy to leave the church, only a formality--show that Norwegians identify with this church as part of their cultural history and not because it is somehow forced on them. The liturgy, the hymns, the theological and religious thinking have evolved through the centuries and our an expression of the country of Norway. In fact, one could say that if the Norwegians leave the church they still remain Lutherans because their religion is part of their whole make-up. It is strange that both non-religious people outside of Norway attack this high membership, seeing it as a threat to their thinking because of the high level of education and standard of living in secular Norway and still people remain in the church---and religious people from America attack the Church of Norway because it is not "American" enough, i.e., small, struggling, pluralistic, etc.

If you think I was attacking the Church of Norway you are grossly mistaken. It supports my contention prerfectly and that was why I used it as an example. In a country where the overwhelming majority of people share a common religion (and the cultural/historical aspects that go with that) it generally gets taken out of the picture as a topic of disagreement. The reason (or at least one of them...) religion gets so much controversy in the U.S. is exactly because there is no singularly dominent Church.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 05:24 pm
Setanta wrote:
aperson, responding to Fishin', wrote:

As an atheist, i disagree. There is a variety of atheist whom i consider the "religious" variety of atheist, who display all the characteristics of the religiously fervent. They make science their religion, believing all too often in what they plainly do not understand, and cannot defend in discussion. Having failed to inform themselves, they are left in no better position in an argument with theists than are the theists themselves whose initial premise is that a god exists, in whom they have faith absent proof.

Well said! *applause*

Quote:

If asked I've taken to referring to my self as "irreligious" for pretty much the same resasons.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 05:29 pm
fishin wrote:
If asked I've taken to referring to my self as "irreligious" for pretty much the same resasons.

That's probably the best way. I just avoid the subject as much as possible. If someone comes to the door and asks if "we" can talk, i'll tell them sure, as long as the topic for discussion is neither religion nor politics. That throws 'em. The last time this happened, several months ago, the guy kinda hesitated and mumbled something about wanting to tell me about Jesus, and i repeated my restrictions on conversations with strangers who come to the door once more. He then took a deep breath and said: "Well, then . . . you have a good day . . ." "Thanks, you too." "God bless you." "Ain't gonna happen." "<Sigh>"
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:29 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
Phoenix32890 wrote:

I'm not buying it.

Phoenix is far less like to post in S & R threads than a good many other people here.

What you selectively ignore is that this is a site which provides fora for people to discuss these topics. I only ever discuss religion and the self-delusions dear to the hearts of religionists at this site. Otherwise, the subject never comes up in my life, and i avoid any crackpot who wants to broach the topic with me.

You really stepped in it this time--Phoenix is one of the last people you should have accused of spending "so much time posting on S & R."

If you'll notice, I did not refer to Phoenix alone, but to her and others who make similar claims.

Nevertheless, a simple search shows Phoenix has posted in S&R over 1850 times. It was not an 'accusation' as much as just a statement of fact.

She and others who claim to 'not care' are known to repeatedly post in S&R.

Maybe you should fact check before you blow off steam next time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 03:47 pm
Maybe you should learn something more about statistics. Had Phoenix posted 975 times each in two threads, that would hardly constitute a meaningful participation in the dozens and dozens of threads in that forum. The total number of times she posts in that forum is meaningless without knowing how many threads she has posted in, and the subject of the threads in which she posted.

Quite apart from that, you have not identified any other "apathetics," which means that your bullshit can't be checked--which is just how you like it, isn't it.

Liar.

Moron.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 04:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
Maybe you should learn something more about statistics. Had Phoenix posted 975 times each in two threads, that would hardly constitute a meaningful participation in the dozens and dozens of threads in that forum. The total number of times she posts in that forum is meaningless without knowing how many threads she has posted in, and the subject of the threads in which she posted.

Then why don't you look it up if the individual subjects are of interest to you?

I made no reference to the individual subjects, how 'meaningful' her participation was, nor how many threads within S&R were involved.

I referred to posts in S&R. Period.

Before you call someone a liar, you need to be able to show that what they[/i][/u] said (not what you think they said or what you'd like to pretend they said) was untrue.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 04:07 pm
vikorr wrote:
There's a lot of issues with this post.

Firstly, from the examples you give (limited), you base your assumption around a movie, and hearsay? Perhaps you have a few further examples?

Secondly, you list as negatives, things that may not be negatives - what's the matter with being immoral? Or a cynic (which would include most Australians)? And of course, there are the other problems raised by other posters with your given example of an atheist.

Third - what on earth are you talking about, NZ doesn't discriminate? Every country and every people on earth discriminate. If it's not against one religion, it's against something else - it's human nature.

Fourth - saying you don't even know the religion of your PM doesn't mean anything - there are people who no doubt pay attention to it.

Lastly, Christianity, like any other large organisation, engages in propaganda - that just makes it the norm, not the exception.

aperson wrote:
1. My example is small, I'll say that. I can't think of any other examples at the moment, but I just get the general idea that atheists are not portrayed well. The thing is, I can't recall many atheists, not, I can't recall many bad atheists. Just goes to show that the few atheists that are present are portrayed badly.

Wouldn't it be more likely that a persons religion (or lack of religion) is irrelevant to most movies?

Wouldn't a decent percentage of scientists in movies be considered atheists? It's not brought into the script because it's usually irrelevant to the story line.

aperson wrote:
2. Come on, that's being nit-picky. You conveniently ignore the drunkenness, bitterness and other aspects. Are they not bad?
aperson wrote:
3. I was referring specifically to discrimination against religion.

You mean religious discrimination against atheists? I know. The point is, that discrimination exists in many different forms, and it's natural for humans to discriminate. If it's not one form, then it's anotherÂ…we have an aversion to things that are different to us.

aperson wrote:
4. I have never read a thing about the PMs religion. No doubt people pay attention to it, but the vast majority don't.

You were using this as a comparison to the US. Do you know the percentages of NZ'rs that pay attention to their leaders religions (I'm guessing you don't), compared to the percentages of Americans (and again, I'm guessing you don't know)?

aperson wrote:
5. I think Christianity's position as a religion gives it a tad more responsibility than just "an organisation".

Truly? So Govt's have less responsibility than religion? Multinational mining companies have less responsibility? And on down the line it goes. It seems rather to depend on the size, power, and operation of the organisation does it not?

aperson wrote:
Overall, I think you are picking on points for the sake of it, rather than because you actually see fault in them.

The reason I posted, is many of your points, or supporting arguments, appear to be based on rather shaky foundations.

aperson wrote:
While there is no law against this, it is nicer to be debating against someone who discusses ideas unbiasedly, rather than someone who just doesn't like my ideas because they are anti-Christian.

Ah, aperson, you need only go back to your original post to see your bias. "sickeningly yours"? Would it help you to know that I'm not Christian, or of any religion? What I do find is that many non religious people attack Christianity, without knowing the religion, or having any well thought out argument.

If you want to attack it as a whole :
- it's believers tend not to question their beliefs in any depth
- it's believers tend not to research archaeological science in any depth
- it's believers can be very close minded
- it's believers can be very judgemental
- it's believers can interfere in other peoples lives, uninvited
- etc
If you want to give it praise :
-the religion was the seat of learning for a thousand years or more, which unarguably contributed greatly to where the west is today
-religion provides a place for people to meet and socialize
-religion reduces the tax burden on taxpayers by doing welfare work
-allows people to sing openly (even if they are bad singers)
-fills a place in many peoples lives
-etc
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 09:21 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:

Then why don't you look it up if the individual subjects are of interest to you?

I made no reference to the individual subjects, how 'meaningful' her participation was, nor how many threads within S&R were involved.

I referred to posts in S&R. Period.

Before you call someone a liar, you need to be able to show that what they[/i][/u] said (not what you think they said or what you'd like to pretend they said) was untrue.

As i said, you need to learn something about statistics. Phoenix, at the time i write this post, has more than 24,000 posts. You have claimed that she has posted 1850 times in S & R forums. Your snide remark about Phoenix was based upon her having said that she is apathetic to the issue of whether or not there is a god. You alleged that there are other "apathetics" (as you choose to term them) and have included the contribution of these unidentified "apathetics" in your sneer about posting so often in S & R. What threads Phoenix posts in are significant, because she may well have posted any number of times to provide information to people asking questions, without reference to whether or not she believes there were a god.

So you have not provided any statistical basis for you sneer about Phoenix. Her 1850 posts in the S & R forum represent less than 7.5 % of her total posts. At the time of writing this post, she averages just under 12 posts per day--which means that she does not average even one entire post per day in S & R. Given that a significant number of her posts may have been informational (i see her all the time in threads in which people simply seek information about one confession or another, particularly those with questions about Judaism, and people with general questions about religious adherence), it is not even certain that that less 7.5% of her total posts merit your snide response.

You have completely failed to identify any other "apathetics" and demonstrate that they frequently post in S & R. Someone who posts an average of almost 12 posts per day, but posts less than once a day in any particular forum can hardly be said to post there frequently. You completely failed to make your point when you ran off half-cocked to come up with a meaningless statistic about how often Phoenix posts in S & R.

Liar.

Moron.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 10:57 pm
You're sinking fast trying to argue against something I didn't say.

I made no judgement as to which threads are significant and which aren't, or whether the content of the posts was informational or not.

Although a little math will show you that our apathetic friend posts in S&R 9 days out of 10, on average.

Keep flailing. You're fun to watch. Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 04:17 am
real life- Besides offering information on all sorts of threads that I think will be helpful to people, (hey, I am godless, but enjoy being helpful to others. How 'bout that!) I will sometimes respond to religious threads that stick in my craw. As I have said, ad nauseum, I get ticked off by people who attempt to insinuate THEIR religion into MY life.

If some of the religionists on A2K would simply take a "live and let live" attitude, I would probably only discuss religion on A2K as an intellectual exercise, as one would discuss any other subject.

Another thing. I have had many years to codify my thoughts on my place in this universe. Over the years I have reached a place which is comfortable, and makes logical sense to me. As with certain other subjects of which I spend time on A2K, religion is something which I am familiar enough to be able to reasonably share my thoughts with others.

For instance, I probably would not get into a discussion around aspects of history with Setanta, (unless I were asking a question) although I often read his posts. He runs rings around me in that area, and so I would not dream of arguing with him about that subject.

It is the rabid emotionalism of many religionists that I often find curious. If I were the only person in this world who believed what I do, that would be fine for me. I don't need a claque of yea-sayers to shore up my personal beliefs. It is nice to have other people of similar minds, but for me, it is not necessary.
0 Replies