The Ten Commandments

aperson

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 06:50 pm
Sorry Rama, that post was addressed to curtis.

But anyhow, I agree with you entirely.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 08:47 pm
aperson wrote:
Please explain how Biblical and religious are different things. I thought the one encased the other.

Not in the least. What the bible says hasn't changed (supposedly) for 1800 years, but how christians interpret it and act based on it has been so insanely variable that it is difficult to chart. Think about the dark ages, the crusades, witch burning, gay rights, slavery, KKK, prohibition, selling of salvation... take a look at christians a mere 20 years ago and you'll see that christianity is rapidly and constantly changing.

Quote:
Hang on, so you're an atheist now?

Morality and atheism aren't mutually exclusive. Atheism just gives one the choice to part from his or her natural attributes. It makes one unobliged to be moral.

Hell no, I'm not an atheist... far from it. Your analogy assumes that morality is christian. Since it is not, atheism does not excuse one from morality. I know a lot of immoral christians and a lot of moral atheists.

I don't believe in a universal moral code. There isn't one, at least not like humans think there is. What we call "morality" today is simply a society-based set of guidelines for perpetuating our safety and the welfare of society. It is fueled by the reverence for religion and it trickles down to others, but saying religion is the basis for morality removes the authority from god since she existed before religion.

In an unevolved society (like the one we're in), people say you "shouldn't" kill because we fear death. In an evolved society, no one would kill because of the knowledge that all souls are one. In that future the need for stipulatory morals would be pointless. Just because we are at our most evolved as a society right now doesn't mean we are at the end of our evolution.

Religion perpetuates the theory of morality because without it, you're going to hell, or won't achieve Moksha, or won't get your 6 million virgins when you die. If religion told the truth that there is no such thing as morality, it would have crumbled thousands of years ago from bankruptcy.... but what a wonderful society we'd be in today if it had crumbled Very Happy
0 Replies

cello

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 04:55 pm
Thanks Terry for posting those sets of TC. Very interesting discussion, everyone.

I did not remember the TC to be like those and I must say I was disappointed to read the Exodus list. I thought they were commandments on how to be "good" in life. I was surprised that only the last few ones give some kind of guidelines in life, but they are very restricted/specific in application.

Why did Moses break the tablets?
0 Replies

cello

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:03 pm
How old is the OT and do we know who wrote it?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:26 pm
When Moses was shlepping down the mountain, trying not to let the stone tablets fall out of his hands, who did he say God gave it to? My point is that if Christians wanted to adopt the Ten Commandments, that is fine, since there was no copyright on them. However, let's be fair; the commandments were for the Hebrews wandering in circles in the desert. Christians came a couple of millenia later. I find it interesting how much Christianity borrows from Judaism and then feels it was meant for them all along. Chutzpa!
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 02:17 pm
Once again comrades.
I bring to your notice this.
I was born in Hindu Brahmin family in Chennai.
I love my wife( the only one in my life) who is a German christian..
Though, I still follow the path of Ingersoll and other athiests, nihilists, agnostist I strive to understand the religious war .
Why?
What is wrong in those 10 commandments?
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 12:32 am
Most scholars agree that the Hebrew Bible was composed and compiled between the 12th and the 2nd century BC, before Jesus' birth. Jesus and his disciples based their teachings on them, referring to them as "the law of Moses, the prophets, and the psalms ... the scriptures". (Luke 24:44-45
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 03:40 am
curtis73 wrote:
aperson wrote:
Please explain how Biblical and religious are different things. I thought the one encased the other.

Not in the least. What the bible says hasn't changed (supposedly) for 1800 years, but how christians interpret it and act based on it has been so insanely variable that it is difficult to chart. Think about the dark ages, the crusades, witch burning, gay rights, slavery, KKK, prohibition, selling of salvation... take a look at christians a mere 20 years ago and you'll see that christianity is rapidly and constantly changing.

Quote:
Hang on, so you're an atheist now?

Morality and atheism aren't mutually exclusive. Atheism just gives one the choice to part from his or her natural attributes. It makes one unobliged to be moral.

Hell no, I'm not an atheist... far from it. Your analogy assumes that morality is christian. Since it is not, atheism does not excuse one from morality. I know a lot of immoral christians and a lot of moral atheists.

I don't believe in a universal moral code. There isn't one, at least not like humans think there is. What we call "morality" today is simply a society-based set of guidelines for perpetuating our safety and the welfare of society. It is fueled by the reverence for religion and it trickles down to others, but saying religion is the basis for morality removes the authority from god since she existed before religion.

In an unevolved society (like the one we're in), people say you "shouldn't" kill because we fear death. In an evolved society, no one would kill because of the knowledge that all souls are one. In that future the need for stipulatory morals would be pointless. Just because we are at our most evolved as a society right now doesn't mean we are at the end of our evolution.

Religion perpetuates the theory of morality because without it, you're going to hell, or won't achieve Moksha, or won't get your 6 million virgins when you die. If religion told the truth that there is no such thing as morality, it would have crumbled thousands of years ago from bankruptcy.... but what a wonderful society we'd be in today if it had crumbled Very Happy

So... you're a deist? I'm confused - you make references to God but have anti-religious views.

Well Christianity is just plain bad; Biblical or Religious.

I have to say I am very impressed by your comments. You are obviously highly intelligent, and what's more, unbiased! It's like a breath of fresh air for me.

I don't believe in a universal moral code either, but I dispute the fact that morals are society-based. What people often fail to realise is that morals are actually a product of evolution, and therefore biological. Society's role as a supporter is only a manifestation of our inset biological codes.

The "evolved" society idea is a good one. I have thought long and hard about the "placement" of our processes, ie whether they are conscious or subconscious. I think that, in order to better ourselves, we must attempt to bring certain processes forward to the conscious level. What you are suggesting is exactly this - bringing morals forward from the instinctive level to the conscious, comprehensive level. Going off the topic a bit - some process should be brought back into the subconscious level. A good example of this is playing tennis. When you first start, you have to think all the time about how to move your arm, technique, position etc. After a while, all these things are brought back, and become subconscious. It becomes easy to hit a ball. You can do it without thinking about it.

Natural evolution has stopped. Technology has replaced evolution.

Again, religion is partly a manifestation of our biological code. Unfortunately it carries some nasty side effects...

Yes, a world without religion. Guess we are all allowed to dream a little Laughing
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 05:20 am
aperson wrote:

So... you're a deist? I'm confused - you make references to God but have anti-religious views.

I actually don't have an accurate grasp on the "deist" model, but I do believe in god. I have an intense desire to know the true god, and I have been shown that organized religion is the exact opposite of this desire.

Quote:
Well Christianity is just plain bad; Biblical or Religious.

I couldn't agree more. Smile

Quote:
I have to say I am very impressed by your comments. You are obviously highly intelligent, and what's more, unbiased! It's like a breath of fresh air for me.

I'm an ordained minister who was asked to leave seminary for my pragmatic approach to researching the truth about the bible's origins. I appreciate the kind words. I am now a practicing yogic psychic, so its safe to say I've seen the full spectrum Smile You are also a breath of fresh air. You have always posted with intelligence and have avoided the arrogant pitfalls of forum anonymity.

Quote:
I don't believe in a universal moral code either, but I dispute the fact that morals are society-based. What people often fail to realise is that morals are actually a product of evolution, and therefore biological. Society's role as a supporter is only a manifestation of our inset biological codes.

I can get behind that... since evolution supports survival, those who act a certain way have the greatest chances of surviving and therefore passing their genes (and morals) on to offspring. I can see your argument, I just disagree with the sponsor. I would maybe modify it. I would say that the more moral person has a greater chance of socially attracting a mate and having offspring, but the basis for their successful mating relies on a religiously based set of expectations, not instinct.

So, is religion affecting natural selection, or is it the opposite? I think religion is skewing natural selection. It specifically accepts and approves of the downtrodden and lifts them up. I constantly think of starving nations and how church organizations consistently spend millions of christian dollars barely supporting these populations. Shouldn't natural selection take care of it on its own? In all 50 states we have a hunting season to whittle out the population. When the deer become overpopulated, we don't subsidize millions of dollars in food support for the Odecoileus Genus, we shoot them.

It seems like natural selection has taken a back seat to religious effort.

Quote:
The "evolved" society idea is a good one. I have thought long and hard about the "placement" of our processes, ie whether they are conscious or subconscious. I think that, in order to better ourselves, we must attempt to bring certain processes forward to the conscious level. What you are suggesting is exactly this - bringing morals forward from the instinctive level to the conscious, comprehensive level. Going off the topic a bit - some process should be brought back into the subconscious level. A good example of this is playing tennis. When you first start, you have to think all the time about how to move your arm, technique, position etc. After a while, all these things are brought back, and become subconscious. It becomes easy to hit a ball. You can do it without thinking about it.

I like the tennis analogy. Humans are so instinctual, but it seems as though religion has tempered instinct with reason. They have replaced desire with guilt.

Quote:
Natural evolution has stopped. Technology has replaced evolution.

Again, religion is partly a manifestation of our biological code. Unfortunately it carries some nasty side effects...

Yes, a world without religion. Guess we are all allowed to dream a little Laughing

We do live in a world where you can now choose the sex of your offspring and prevent its diseases prenatally. Good for technology, bad for human intuition.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 02:43 pm
curtis73 wrote:

I actually don't have an accurate grasp on the "deist" model, but I do believe in god. I have an intense desire to know the true god, and I have been shown that organized religion is the exact opposite of this desire.

Deism is the belief that God exists, but not in the anthropomorphic form portrayed by religion. I think you probably fit into this catagory.
curtis73 wrote:

I'm an ordained minister who was asked to leave seminary for my pragmatic approach to researching the truth about the bible's origins. I appreciate the kind words. I am now a practicing yogic psychic, so its safe to say I've seen the full spectrum Smile You are also a breath of fresh air. You have always posted with intelligence and have avoided the arrogant pitfalls of forum anonymity.

Wow. That is quite a spectrum. I am not familiar with "yogic psychic". Do you mind enlightening me? And thanks.

curtis73 wrote:
aperson wrote:

I can get behind that... since evolution supports survival, those who act a certain way have the greatest chances of surviving and therefore passing their genes (and morals) on to offspring. I can see your argument, I just disagree with the sponsor. I would maybe modify it. I would say that the more moral person has a greater chance of socially attracting a mate and having offspring, but the basis for their successful mating relies on a religiously based set of expectations, not instinct.

As I say, religion, being part of society, is merely a supporter, and derives from our biological instincts.

Let me ask you something. You are not religious, and neither am I, but if you did something considered "wrong" when you were a child, did you not feel guilt? Not just regret due to punishment and scolding by your parents, but a guilt from somewhere inside you? This is a good example of how morals are primarily instinct. Morals are partly taught, yes, but they come from inside us. It's not just our parents teaching. We know it's "wrong" to kill. We feel it. Morality is nature, as well as nurture.

curtis73 wrote:
So, is religion affecting natural selection, or is it the opposite? I think religion is skewing natural selection. It specifically accepts and approves of the downtrodden and lifts them up. I constantly think of starving nations and how church organizations consistently spend millions of christian dollars barely supporting these populations. Shouldn't natural selection take care of it on its own? In all 50 states we have a hunting season to whittle out the population. When the deer become overpopulated, we don't subsidize millions of dollars in food support for the Odecoileus Genus, we shoot them.

Your views are Hitleristic and genocidal, but I will not reject them simply because of this. As I have said, evolution makes pitiful progress compared to science. It is obselete. Letting nature do it's thing would be pointless, because technology can do nature's work in a millionth of the time. No. I say, let technology help these people. It is the substitute for evolution.

curtis73 wrote:

We do live in a world where you can now choose the sex of your offspring and prevent its diseases prenatally. Good for technology, bad for human intuition.

Neovolution.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 06:44 pm
curtis73 wrote:

Intelligence removes the need for natural selection; mankind naturally selects what it needs. The Middle East would be rotting away like Africa apart from the need of its oil and target practice for the World Militaries. Religion is blind to what is going on around it. The "No Condom" policy of the Roman Catholic Church in Africa is causing Millions of deaths due to the AIDS epidemic and the Medieval fear of their representatives hold over the population.

The grip the RC church has there bypasses anything else in the world, and they will not let go without a fight or until America finds new Oil reserves it can exploit before China gets its non-caring grubby hands on it.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2008 07:03 pm
aperson wrote:
Deism is the belief that God exists, but not in the anthropomorphic form portrayed by religion. I think you probably fit into this catagory.

I would agree. I consider god to be more like the conciousness of all the sum total of energy, mass, and souls. Although atheists would say there is no evidence to support this, I simply remind them that 100 years ago we didn't know that bacteria existed either but it doesn't mean they weren't there.
Quote:

Wow. That is quite a spectrum. I am not familiar with "yogic psychic". Do you mind enlightening me? And thanks.

Sure. Its not an official term. I simply am able to receive messages from the next realm (yep, I talk to dead people) and the way I can do it is with some modified yogic practices; breathing, meditation, chanting, calming. It has given me some really neat insight into some higher truths about the soul. I'm part of a 10-psychic team who does some kinda group reading and exploration. Sounds like a movie plot to me. I'm pretty new to it, but the originators of the group have their own TV show. Sometimes we meet just to have fun and talk to relatives or famous people, and sometimes we get really deep into meditation, astral projection, past life regression, and sometimes we just have movie night. Last month I dropped something twice and I remarked, "jesus christ," and he said, "yes?"

In a nutshell, I believe that god exists, satan does not, and the bible was true before humans twisted it into something completely different. Religion is about the closest thing to satan that ever existed.

Quote:
Let me ask you something. You are not religious, and neither am I, but if you did something considered "wrong" when you were a child, did you not feel guilt? Not just regret due to punishment and scolding by your parents, but a guilt from somewhere inside you? This is a good example of how morals are primarily instinct. Morals are partly taught, yes, but they come from inside us. It's not just our parents teaching. We know it's "wrong" to kill. We feel it. Morality is nature, as well as nurture.

My mother was the queen of guilt. If I did something "wrong" I got the cold sweats. But i think you're asking if I felt that guilt because of the moral aspect or because of the punishment. I'm Libra, and my parents were very fair with punishment, so the repercussions weren't so bad. What made me feel guilty was the threat of eternal damnation in hell. I was supposed to be "good" or the god of eternal love would send me to an eternity of torture and pain.

I therefore do not believe in right and wrong. I believe in what suits the soul's purpose and what does not suit the soul's purpose. Evil does not exist. People do things that are contrary to popular morality, but it doesn't mean they're evil. Most crime or amorality stems either from a mental illness or extreme duress. A sicko kills a family and shows no remorse? That's illness and it needs to be controlled and cured. If you removed rules and laws right now, it would be utter chaos, but as society advances we will let certain things go by the wayside. I've seen this in India. A restaurant was being renovated. The guys would come early in the morning, work on the front window, then at night they just set their tools down on the ground and went home. When they came back in the morning the tools were still there. Something about their society has removed the fear of theft. Now, of course, with the Americanization of India over the past couple decades, theft is a huge problem.

Its a hard concept to describe. If you take a step back and analyze every situation from this standpoint, you would see that there would be no motivation for any of the "sins" we currently eschew. In the absence of transgression, there is no need for morality. This is my basis for believing that morals are strictly a human fabrication from a sponsor of fear. Try re-analyzing "sin" or "wrong" from a new perspective using these assumptions:

1) Humans freely know how to communicate with their souls
2) Humans freely accept that all souls are one and interconnected
3) Morals don't exist, nor were taught
4) Laws don't exist
5) Humans are not a monogamous species

Then go back to analyzing them from the religious perspective which is:

1) Talking to the soul means consorting with satan
2) Humans are distinct unique physical bodies that share no energy
3) God requires you to be moral or he'll send you to hell
4) Laws are direct from God and if not followed, see #3
5) Humans are only allowed one sex partner/spouse for their entire lives and you have rights of ownership over their sexual expressions.

Its no wonder we fear everything.

I don't think that the guilt you feel inside is instinct at all. Think about an infant hitting another infant. There is no remorse until the parent teaches them that its bad. I think guilt is fully a learned trait, so I would argue that there is no nature at all. Kids act strictly on instinct until we teach them society and/or religion.

Quote:
Your views are Hitleristic and genocidal, but I will not reject them simply because of this. As I have said, evolution makes pitiful progress compared to science. It is obselete. Letting nature do it's thing would be pointless, because technology can do nature's work in a millionth of the time. No. I say, let technology help these people. It is the substitute for evolution.

I didn't mean to appear Hitleristic, I was merely comically drawing a correlation between how one animal treats another where cognitive thought is involved. I'm certainly not suggesting we declare open season on people below poverty level.

I think my science background keeps me a little more reverent of natural selection's power. I have a somewhat romantic view of letting it take its course. I believe that if humans alter natural selection, it will only weaken the species. If we're selected for extinction because of a huge meteor hitting the earth, building a bio dome to sustain humanity might be successful, but unnatural and can lead to other side effects that harm or alter the path of other species in the future. I'm not adamant about it, but we've already seen the effects. We use technology to make life easier for humanity and in the process we vastly alter the planet for the other species that inhabit it. How many extinctions has deforestation caused? How many Eagles died from DDT? How has nuclear waste affected the genetics of animals? I kinda view it like a do-not-resuccitate order. If you have an inoperable tumor that's killing you, what is the point of staying alive as a vegetable on a machine? If humans are selected to become extinct, I think it would unnaturally alter the biosphere to use technology to force a livable environment. We gotta share Smile If Dinosaurs were intelligent and they used technology to save their butts, things sure would be different for humans today... if we existed at all.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 12:49 pm
That is quite a range of time (12 BC to 2 BC) to pinpoint the existence of the OT. Not so old as I would have thought.

One thing that strikes me is that since the Christian and the Muslim religions are based on the Jewish religion, if I understand well, why there are so many differences in beliefs and religious wars. Aren't the religions based on the same God?

Are religions supposed to teach us morality? Or is morality based on society's rules for behaviour? Was everything "immoral" in the past still considered immoral nowadays? Not for some of the things. And yet, the same religions are still there, supposedly teaching you the same things from the Bible or the Koran.

So what is the role of religions? Are they still relevant in this Millenium? Do they make people "better" or "worse", however one may interpret it?
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 01:12 pm
cello wrote:

One thing that strikes me is that since the Christian and the Muslim religions are based on the Jewish religion, if I understand well, why there are so many differences in beliefs and religious wars. Aren't the religions based on the same God?

Muslim is not based on Judaism. Its older. You'll probably find some members of those faiths that will agree that God and Allah are the same entity, but they disagree on many other points.

Quote:
Are religions supposed to teach us morality? Or is morality based on society's rules for behaviour? Was everything "immoral" in the past still considered immoral nowadays? Not for some of the things. And yet, the same religions are still there, supposedly teaching you the same things from the Bible or the Koran.

Morality changes almost weekly based on society's hot buttons of the day. In medieval Europe it was highly immoral (punishable by death) to NOT have your elbows on the table in the presence of royalty. The fear was that you could be canoodling with the queen under the table, so it was proper to keep both hands above the table. In years past, homosexuality was just swept under the rug, but now its going through massive moral scrutiny. In ancient societies up through about 800 AD, being gay was perfectly acceptable. And of course, let's not forget that war is moral, but murder is not. Can't quite get my mind wrapped around that one. When did it become moral to kill 300,000, but illegal to kill one?
Quote:

So what is the role of religions? Are they still relevant in this Millenium? Do they make people "better" or "worse", however one may interpret it?

The individual role of religions is self-improvement or desire to go to heaven. Sometimes its just guilt for doing "bad" things. On the small level, most religion's churches are filled with warm, caring, loving humans with respect for mankind. Their hearts are in the right place. On the global scale, the world churches are a corrupt, murderous, political organization. The single largest economy in the world - larger than the US, Japan, and the new European Union - is the Catholic church.

Each religion takes key things from their holy text and beats them to death. Based on the society around them, they choose which morals to exercise. Nothing was more proving of that than when I lived in New Orleans. I worked for a bus company in Mississippi where I chartered Baptists around all day, then I parked the bus and went and partied with the Catholics on Bourbon street at night. The Baptists were all worried about POWs and MIAs, keeping short hair, lots of money, and hating non-white people. As long as their wives didn't know about the affair with the secretary, it wasn't immoral. Contrast that with the Catholics who would show you their tits for a 13-cent beaded necklace that you found in a gutter with vomit on it.

I think its safe to say that morality is VERY situational.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:25 pm
curtis73 wrote:
cello wrote:

Muslim is not based on Judaism. Its older. /quote]

Do you mean Islam is older than Judaism ?

Judaism begins with the covenant between God and Abraham around 2000 BC.
Muhammed died 632 AD
So Judaism is older than Islam
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:29 pm
I think curtis means Islam's precursor.

Although I'm kinda curious as to where you got that info from, curtis.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:57 pm
Seminary. Its now more commonly believed that Judaism got its start around the 13th century BCE, Islam got its start around 570 AD. Judaism used to be considered 2000 BCE but some more modern dating suggests that its a little after that considering that Zoroastrianism and Atenism have been re-evaluated.

Those three dance around kinda like Pluto and Neptune skip around being the last planet Smile... or moon as is now suggested Pluto might be.

But to imply that Islam (or Moslem) is an evolution of Judaism suggests that it has the same relationship as Christianity does to Judaism and that would be misleading.
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 02:58 pm
saab wrote:
Do you mean Islam is older than Judaism ?

No... sorry, but I see how it was confusing.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Tue 29 Apr, 2008 11:54 am
Ask an an Indian who speak some other language other than , Milton language..

My nme is Rama Fuchs
Not Rama F**s
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 10:09 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:
I live in a country wqhich knows about
The Ten Commandments.
None of the Christian countries follow the dictate of
The Ten Commandments

can ia sk what the christian contries are?
0 Replies