The Ten Commandments

cello

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 10:41 am
Are the Ten Commandments followed by Christians who follow the New Testament? What I mean is that they are in the Old Testament and I think by Christians, we mean people who follow the New and not the Old Testament.

By the way, is the Old Testament read in church?

Please excuse my ignorance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,921 • Replies: 60
No top replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:10 am
In the Lutheran Church I used to belong to a reading from both the Old and New Testament were given each Sunday. The OT readings were carefully selected. Generic, vanilla, usually about praising God in some fashion.

The two books are inextricably tied together. There would be no need for the atonement in the New if not for the fall in the Old.

I'm not sure what you mean by Christians following the 10 C's.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:35 am
In the Lutheran Church of Sweden they are reading both from OT and NT.
It is carefully choosen and fit the time of year and then fits the sermon.
Some deniminations consentrate on the NT and prefer to "kind of forget" about the OT.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:36 am
In the Lutheran Church of Sweden they are reading both from OT and NT.
It is carefully chosen and fit the time of year and then fit the sermon.
Some denominations concentrate on the NT and prefer to "kind of forget" about the OT.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:16 pm
I live in a country wqhich knows about
The Ten Commandments.
None of the Christian countries follow the dictate of
The Ten Commandments
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:41 pm
Thank you for your answers, everyone.

What I mean by follow the TC is if they are part of the religious teachings just like what Jesus taught.

I am not sure what is the difference about the Lutheran Church but do other churches read the OT also?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 07:47 pm
The Old Testament is a part of the religious teachings of every Christian religion/church.

And umm.. yeah, the 10 Commandments are included.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:10 pm
Christian religion is surviving with one name JESUS.
He is a jew.
Why we need so many christians who had tortured the jews?.
Why Jews have their own religion instead of projecting Jesus as idol to worship?
Why a Catholic tourist( A German to boot with) get that much of attention in USA?

I will die without any orders from this all pervasive but never visible GOD who had given some orders to a person to wage war and kill the sleeping mother's and sisters..
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:32 pm
Ah, that makes sense now if the TC are part of the Christian religious teachings. I was wondering why people carry the Bible that has both OT and NT if only the NT is taught, why not have a NT-Bible only.

I think the Pope gets attention because the majority of Americans are Christians, that is normal. I don't live in the US but there seems to be a very strong feeling of being a Christian country over there, based on what I read in the other threads.

As for orders (TC), I think what religions try to teach is to give us some guidelines in social life. Some guidelines are more difficult to follow than others.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:46 pm
Cello
Thanks.
You had ignored my other critical views.
Of course I know that USA is a pious poor christian country.( I have many relatives there).
Should we need a religion which had tortured, butchered humiliated the jews?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 08:48 pm
cello wrote:
Ah, that makes sense now if the TC are part of the Christian religious teachings. I was wondering why people carry the Bible that has both OT and NT if only the NT is taught, why not have a NT-Bible only.

That's a bit of a confusing statement. "The Bible" consists of both the Old and New Testaments. If is was New Testament only it would be the Bible - it would be the New Testament (and seperate books of the new Testament are published!).

It's kind of like saying that you see people driving cars which have both the body and the motor and wondering why people don't drive the motor only. Without the body it's not really a car now is it? Wink :p

Quote:
I think the Pope gets attention because the majority of Americans are Christians, that is normal. I don't live in the US but there seems to be a very strong feeling of being a Christian country over there, based on what I read in the other threads.

The majority of Christian's in the U.S. couldn't care less about the Pope. The Pope is the head of the Catholic Church - one of MANY Christian religions. The most recent stats I could dig up quickly show 82% of the people in the U.S. claim to be Christians. 52% are Protestants and only 23% are Catholics.

I wouldn't take what you see on A2K (or any other WWW site for that matter!) as a representative example of the U.S. population as a whole. The on-line folks tend to be much more "vocal" than people who don't frequent these sorts of forums. That applies to the religious as well as the athiests and agnostics.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:12 pm
Ramafuchs wrote:

None of the Christian countries follow the dictate of
The Ten Commandments

How did you arrive at this conclusion?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:15 pm
While Christians will read parts of the Old and New Testament at Church, I've never heard a single passage from the New Testament read in a Jewish
Synagogue.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 06:27 am
Ramafuchs, I did not comment on your other critical views as you said, just because I don't know a lot about the history of what happened between the Christians and the Jews. I guess you meant the Nazis' treatment of the Jews? I think the Nazis killed and tortured more than Jews, and Christians did bad things also when they colonized people in other countries. Besides Jesus was a Jew but the Jews rejected him, if I understand correctly. Maybe that is why they don't read the NT in synagogues as Miller said. Apart from that, I think people should not be "judged" by what their co-religious fellows are doing or did, but by their own acts.

Fishin, yeah, I meant the Bible as the Book, not Bible Bible which contains both OT and NT. Laughing
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 12:21 pm
An edition entitled "Good News For Modern Man" actually did away with the Old Testament. I always considered that to be an acknowledgement that something needed to be done about the the God of the OT's behavior.

As for the 10 C's. Any discussion usually starts with agreeing on which 10 C's we will be examining. There are two different lists in the OT. There is also the Catholic 10 C's.

Are they observed by Christians today? No, and each commandment can be vigorously challenged in today's era. FWIW, some wit wryly stated that no sooner had God handed Moses the 10 C's he began breaking them all, as recorded by various biblical stories.
0 Replies

cello

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 03:06 pm
Fishin, I reread your post and just now it sinks in. The Pope is the head of the Catholic church and there are 23% Catholics in the US. I wonder is there more promotion/coverage when the Archbishop (the head of the Protestant church?) visits the US?

Tycoon, that is interesting. Can you please post here the three sets of TC just to compare them and know what we are talking about?

By the way, is there a summary (list) of what Jesus taught?
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 04:42 pm
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:19 pm
Your ignorance is excused, due to the fact that Christian actions are confusing to say the least. It's all very pick and choose. Parts of the Bible that don't make sense (well, parts that make less sense than other parts; none of it really makes sense) are conveniently ignored by the more sensible churches (again, no churches are very sensible). The original 613 Jewish laws are somehow completely ignored, despite being part of the Bible. Sure, Jesus flagged them off, but that was because they made little sense. They have only been replaced by other traditions which make no sense. Jesus is rolling in his grave.
0 Replies

aperson

Reply Sun 20 Apr, 2008 09:20 pm
Terry, do you notice (among many things) that the 10 Commandments are written exclusively for men?

"The Bible isn't sexist!"
Yeah, right.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Mon 21 Apr, 2008 12:48 pm
Ah, Terry beat me to the punch. Technically, as the Commandments in Exodus 34 are the only ones ever explicitly named as the Ten Commandments, that means that no one follows the Ten Commandments. Not even Christians.

Thing is, what with Moses breaking the stone tablets of the first set of Commandments, surely those don't apply anymore? I thought those Commandments were part of some kind of covenant and by breaking the tablets, Moses effectively made the covenant null and void akin to destroying a legal contract.

Thus, the only Ten Commandments that still apply, are the ones that make no moral sense.
0 Replies