Trying not to be a bore but I have another Jesus question

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 02:51 pm
Before I posted I looked up "respect" and found "deferential regard" listed as numbero uno as both "vtr.v." and "n." per http://www.thefreedictionary.com/respect
Quote:
re·spect (r-spkt)
tr.v. re·spect·ed, re·spect·ing, re·spects
1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.
n.
1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See Synonyms at regard.
2. The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
4. respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
5. A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.
6. Usage Problem Relation; reference. See Usage Note at regard
.In any case, I would argue that should the tyke be my kid, I would not teach "respect for the rights of other people to believe what they want".

Why?

Because all beliefs are not inherently equal in their merit on a moral basis nor on the basis of empiricism.

Now that is not to say I do not defer to moral relativism; but nonetheless there does appear to be some modes of action that are more universally accepted / discouraged: soft-altruism versus premeditated murder for example.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 02:56 pm
They certainly did open a can of worms!

I know a lot of the thoughts on this thread are way way above his head -- some of them are way above mine but I am enjoying the lesson.

If only they WERE using Superman as the basis for being "good". I could simply say that I'm an Underdog kind of girl and leave it at that.

I think I'm respectful of people's beliefs, or at least I'm respectful of their right to believe whatever they want and that includes what Mo believes.

He brought up Hell again yesterday and I told him that I really don't believe in Hell and he said he did believe. (He also belives that his arm is a baby snake named Striker so he draws scales on his arm and eyeballs on his fist so Striker can hang out with us.) (He also believes I can fix everything that ever goes wrong.) (He believes some crazy stuff.) (He's seven. He should believe some crazy stuff.) Anyway... I told him that it was okay if he believes in Hell but that he didn't have to worry about it because he is a good person.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:22 pm
Chumly wrote:
Before I posted I looked up "respect" and found "deferential regard" listed as numbero uno as both "vtr.v." and "n." per http://www.thefreedictionary.com/respect
Quote:
re·spect (r-spkt)
tr.v. re·spect·ed, re·spect·ing, re·spects
1. To feel or show deferential regard for; esteem.
2. To avoid violation of or interference with: respect the speed limit.
3. To relate or refer to; concern.
n.
1. A feeling of appreciative, often deferential regard; esteem. See Synonyms at regard.
2. The state of being regarded with honor or esteem.
3. Willingness to show consideration or appreciation.
4. respects Polite expressions of consideration or deference: pay one's respects.
5. A particular aspect, feature, or detail: In many respects this is an important decision.
6. Usage Problem Relation; reference. See Usage Note at regard
.In any case, I would argue that should the tyke be my kid, I would not teach "respect for the rights of other people to believe what they want".

Why?

Because all beliefs are not inherently equal in their merit on a moral basis nor on the basis of empiricism.

Now that is not to say I do not defer to moral relativism; but nonetheless there does appear to be some modes of action that are more universally accepted / discouraged: soft-altruism versus premeditated murder for example.

Indeed, one meaning of "respect" is deferential regard", but I do not
believe that that is what Eva meant.

Just because all beliefs are not inherently equal does not mean that I do
not have the right to adopt a lesser belief if I want. So long as I do no
harm, I may believe anything I damn well choose!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 03:39 pm
Then the question becomes are we talking about you personally or are we talking about advice for the little tyke?

And most to the point how best define your so-called "harm" (or claimed lack thereof)!

For example, I gather you would consider witch-burning to be "harm", but and yet in the "correct" moral context it was considered beneficial as was human sacrifice.

In fact, a type of human sacrifice is considered by many to be morally apropos in today's so-called Modern Western World! Witness US military interventionism in the Middle East.

Moral relativism rears its ugly head.

Again, I do not have respect, nor would I teach my tyke that respect is needed as it pertains to unsubstantiated beliefs. That is not to say I might not have and teach circumstance dependent tolerance; but that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

Respect is not circumstance dependent tolerance!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:00 pm
boomerang wrote:
... Anyway... I told him that it was okay if he believes in Hell but that he didn't have to worry about it because he is a good person.

perfect
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 04:17 pm
You could also tell him that it's ok to change his mind about believing in hell someday too.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:15 pm
Chumly wrote:
Then the question becomes are we talking about you personally or are we talking about advice for the little tyke?

And most to the point how best define your so-called "harm" (or claimed lack thereof)!

For example, I gather you would consider witch-burning to be "harm", but and yet in the "correct" moral context it was considered beneficial as was human sacrifice.

In fact, a type of human sacrifice is considered by many to be morally apropos in today's so-called Modern Western World! Witness US military interventionism in the Middle East.

Again, I do not have respect, nor would I teach my tyke that respect is needed as it pertains to unsubstantiated beliefs. That is not to say I might not have and teach circumstance dependent tolerance; but that's a different kettle of fish altogether.

We're talking about me, you, the little tyke, whomever. I think "harm" is
pretty clear, don't you? Witch burning, is of course, "harm". But I have
the fundamental right to believe it is not harm. That witch burning is
beneficial is a stupid thing to believe, but I have the right to believe it.

Of course you don't have to respect beliefs, unsubstantiated or otherwise.
Who denies this? But I would teach respect for a person's right to believe.
I would even go so far as to advocate for a person's right to speak of those
beliefs.

Let me save you another trip to the dictionary. By "respect" I mean "To
avoid violation of or interference with."
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:24 pm
boomerang wrote:
They certainly did open a can of worms!

I know a lot of the thoughts on this thread are way way above his head -- some of them are way above mine but I am enjoying the lesson.

If only they WERE using Superman as the basis for being "good". I could simply say that I'm an Underdog kind of girl and leave it at that.

I think I'm respectful of people's beliefs, or at least I'm respectful of their right to believe whatever they want and that includes what Mo believes.

He brought up Hell again yesterday and I told him that I really don't believe in Hell and he said he did believe. (He also belives that his arm is a baby snake named Striker so he draws scales on his arm and eyeballs on his fist so Striker can hang out with us.) (He also believes I can fix everything that ever goes wrong.) (He believes some crazy stuff.) (He's seven. He should believe some crazy stuff.) Anyway... I told him that it was okay if he believes in Hell but that he didn't have to worry about it because he is a good person.

I'm with JPB. That's an answer he can relate to.

Chumly and George's dissection of my previous post is a good example of why I typically avoid this forum. I'm pretty sure Mo would know what I meant by "respect," and I'll leave it there.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:56 pm
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:

We're talking about me, you, the little tyke, whomever. I think "harm" is
pretty clear, don't you? Witch burning, is of course, "harm". But I have
the fundamental right to believe it is not harm. That witch burning is
beneficial is a stupid thing to believe, but I have the right to believe it.

Of course you don't have to respect beliefs, unsubstantiated or otherwise.
Who denies this? But I would teach respect for a person's right to believe.
I would even go so far as to advocate for a person's right to speak of those
beliefs.

Let me save you another trip to the dictionary. By "respect" I mean "To
avoid violation of or interference with."
Since you claim you have a so-called "fundamental right" to a given belief, prove you have free-will and your claim would be more plausible.

Harm is a function of moral relativism, and as such is not quantifiable in absolute terms as per your claim that "Witch burning, is of course, harm".

Contrary to your claim, one cannot blindly "teach respect for a person's right to believe" nor a "person's right to speak of those beliefs" and the hate crime laws are a manifestation of such limitations.

I have some Wiki homework for you:

Learn about:

Moral relativism
The limits of free speech
Argumentation theory
Free will
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 06:58 pm
Oh chumly...

You have SO much to learn about research...

Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 07:04 pm
Addendum: Natural rights are simply nonsense, what rights one has are those sectioned by the given state / society etc.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:04 am
Chumly, old friend, we've gotten far afield indeed.

I yield to your arguments.

However, in real life, I live in a place where I act as though I have free
will and where I assume I have freedom of thought, freedom of relgion,
and freedom of speech.

It's a nice place. I like it here.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:31 am
I'm there as well day-to-day (as much as I can at least).

On A2K sometimes I'll question things in a wider sense. Always a pleasure chatting with you! Oops in my above post "sectioned" = sanctioned.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:39 am
Chumly wrote:
Addendum: Natural rights are simply nonsense, what rights one has are those sectioned by the given state / society etc.

that is one but school of thought among many. the founding fathers would profoundly disagree with you.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 11:48 am
Chumly wrote:
I'm there as well day-to-day (as much as I can at least).

On A2K sometimes I'll question things in a wider sense. Always a pleasure chatting with you! Oops in my above post "sectioned" = sanctioned.

My pleasure as well.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 12:07 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
Chumly wrote:

that is one but school of thought among many. the founding fathers would profoundly disagree with you.
An an idealization sure, but where is the pragmatic empirically based arguments to demonstrate that natural rights are anything more than an idealization?

I can give you reams of pragmatic empirically based arguments to demonstrate that rights are sanctioned by the given state / society / normative etc.

Where is your pragmatic empirically based counter?

Understand I do not consider the attempted application of the idealization of natural rights as a merited argument.

I might also ask who precisely should be the arbiter of so-called natural rights, given that any arbitration by default would be interventionist and biased, thus sanctioned by the given state / society / normative etc.
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 04:04 pm
Chumley Said:

I might also ask who precisely should be the arbiter of so-called natural rights....

Sam Colt.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 04:24 pm
<snort>
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:15 pm
2PacksAday,

good humors, very!
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 19 Apr, 2008 09:20 pm
I always say that to a man with a Colt as well...

:wink:
0 Replies