As you wish.

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:29 pm
"The Princess Bride" is the only movie that stands up to repeated viewings. It is one of the very few movies I can even stand to rewatch.

And I went to a fancy-pants art school and I've watched a lot of fancy-pants movies, including all those famous foreign things that everyone assumes are better than anything that could come from America. Hey! I even had fancy-pants film-making teachers.

Snobbery be damned, romance be damned: I say TPB is the best movie ever. (And I'm not even a romanticy type.)

Discuss.

P.S. The book is even better!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,519 • Replies: 25
No top replies

2PacksAday

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 10:49 pm
I voted in agreement with you, but I don't think it's the only movie that can be multi-viewed.

One of my favorite parts is during the torture scene....Christopher Guest delivers his lines so flat....IMDB probably has the quote....yep...

"What did this do to you? Tell me. And remember, this is for posterity so be honest. How do you feel?"
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:01 am
From IMDB -
Count Rugen: [Inigo stands up after getting stabbed by a knife thrown by
Count Rugen] Good heavens. Are you still trying to win?

[Inigo falls back against the wall]

Count Rugen: You've got an overdeveloped sense of vengeance. It's going to get you into trouble someday

[Rugen draws his sword and lunges at Inigo who then forces the blade to his left shoulder. Again Rugen lunges at Inigo and the blade is deflected to Inigo's right arm]

Inigo Montoya: [Rugen swings his sword but Inigo blocks it and then begins advancing] Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

[Inigo falls on a table. Rugen attacks and Inigo blocks four times before he continues to advance on Rugen]

Inigo Montoya: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

[Now Rugen attacks five times and Inigo blocks every single one]

Inigo Montoya: [Louder] Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father prepare to die.

Count Rugen: Stop saying that!

[Rugen attacks and Inigo blocks it and then stabs Rugen in the shoulder. Then Rugen swings his sword. Inigo ducks and stabs Rugen in the other shoulder. Then he advances quickly and they fight]

Inigo Montoya: Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!

Count Rugen: [Rugen gets his sword knocked away and Inigo slices his cheek] No!

Inigo Montoya: Offer me money

Count Rugen: Yes

Inigo Montoya: Power too promise that!

[he slices Rugen's other cheek]

Count Rugen: All that I have and more. Please.

Inigo Montoya: Offer me everything I ask for.

Count Rugen: Anything you want.

[Rugen attacks but Inigo grabs his arm and stabs Rugen in the stomach]

Inigo Montoya: I want my father back you son of a bitch.

[Inigo plunches the sword into Rugen's gut and he falls down dead]

- - - - - -

Brilliant!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:13 am
Thanks, lezzles, you convinced me.

Netflix, here I come.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:18 am
Agreed, followed closely by the Holy Grail

RH
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 03:31 am
Never heard of TPB, I have to check that out. Sounds promising..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 04:41 am
Totally.

(I knew what this was gonna be about just from the title...)

I'd venture to say that it's especially beloved by parents, since it's one of the VERY few movies that can be pretty much equally enjoyed by kids and parents. There are other movies that have overlap; sozlet thinks it's fabulous, I think it's pretty good, or vice versa. This is the only one I can think of that we both consider a masterpiece. (Sozlet's called it "The... BEST... movie... EVER!!!" many a time.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:58 am
This thread is inconceivable . . .
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 10:04 am
I suppose I should try it again. It is some friends' favorite movie. They showed the video one evening. I went and did the dishes, to give you a clue how I couldn't stand it. Maybe I could just read the script...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 10:12 am
Wuuuv. Twu wuuuv.

It certainly one of the more quotable movies ever made! We use lines from it around the house all the time.

I really love the unintelligible clergyman. (I don't think he was quite so nutty in the book but I could be mistaken.) I mean really, what kind of person would choose any form of public speaking as a career? I don't know how any of the actors kept a straight face during that scene.

I think my favorite part is the scene where Vizinni thinks he's out-thinking Roberts about which cup the poison is in with all that sputtering surety:

"You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line."

I never thought of it as a kid's movie and was absolutely delighted when Mo took a liking to it.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:45 pm
http://www.megatonik.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/inconceivable-1.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 12:48 pm
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2067/1846269815_ceb72a01fb.jpg
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:10 pm
Funny, I was just thinking that it was about time to watch this again! I think this is gonna have to be my Sunday movie now Smile
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 07:51 pm
Another of my favorites is from The Court Jester. Not as good a movie, but it had its hilarious moments. Here goes:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hawkins: I've got it! I've got it! The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice from the palace has the brew that is true! Right?
Griselda: Right. But there's been a change: they broke the chalice from the palace!
Hawkins: They *broke* the chalice from the palace?
Griselda: And replaced it with a flagon.
Hawkins: A flagon...?
Griselda: With the figure of a dragon.
Hawkins: Flagon with a dragon.
Griselda: Right.
Hawkins: But did you put the pellet with the poison in the vessel with the pestle?
Griselda: No! The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon! The vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!
Hawkins: The pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon; the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true.
Griselda: Just remember that.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 08:08 pm
I re-watch the Gene Wilder "Willy Wonka" at least once a year Embarrassed -- have done since my kids were small. (I seem to recall taking dj to see it when it first came out.) We all loved Princess Bride too and have a video copy somewhere. I think I'll dig it out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:09 pm
Set and so many other friends worship TPB. I don't. I like little bits of it, but overall the movie's like a giant sleeping pill for me.

Some Like it Hot is my over and over and over again movie.
Well, not the only one, but the best one - for me.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:11 pm
The only film I have watched over and over again is "Lonely are the Brave" but I have watched "2001" and "Catch 22" numerous times.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:12 pm
"Anybody wanna peanut?" Andre was brilliant!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 09:22 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
I voted in agreement with you, but I don't think it's the only movie that can be multi-viewed.

Agreed.....

I can see this movie more often than most. I have also viewed Spinal Tap, Star Wars, Dead Alive, and The Dark Crystal multiple times (and will again). Other movies I want to want to watch multiple times like Beetlejuice. Yet others I have to watch multiple times just to 'get it' (or in a quest to 'get it') like Elizabeth, Midsummer Nights Dream, 2001, etc.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:53 am
Another one I like to watch again and again (about once a year or so) is Stand By Me.
I guess as a mother it pulls at my heartstrings - young boys on the verge of becoming men, etc. etc. I thought the main character was a bit of a wimp (thinly disguised Stephen King wasn't he?), but as a group they were 'just right'. Every time I see it I reach for the tissues when he tells of the fate of the River Phoenix character. Such a waste! But such is life!

My very alltime favourite though is The Magnificent Seven. I must have seen it hundreds of times over the years. I know the dialogue off by heart!
0 Replies