OGIONIK

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:07 pm
not really. "whether its intentional, or not"
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:11 pm
beating a dog is just tellin him its OK to hurt things smaller and weaker than you.

Im sorry but i have to disagree, if a pit has a decent environment, they are amazing. males weill fill a power vaumm, thats there nature.

people just dont know what they are doing when they get one.

they want a badass dog, and then they leave it neglected in the backyard to slowly go insane and then escape one day and attack someone.

they dont realize living things need care and attention.

like my cousin, i gave him a puppy and hes neglecting it the fcukhead.

5 months and hes barely house trained.

mine was trained in 4 days. naw **** that less than that! like 2, i found her, she pissed like 5 times in the house, realised she would be put outside for 3 hours everytime she did, and she STOPPED.

GAH

GAH

GAH

i wish i could bundle up all thepits and head off to my fantasy land where i have food and time for all of them. so they wouldnt be mistreated by morons.

which is the reason why they bite. yep, its a fact.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:13 pm
Just remembered a quote on Golden Retrievers that 2pack's post reminded me of...

On an interview many years ago, the head of the SPCA spoke lovingly of his golden retrievers. This was his description of them:

"If a robber comes to the door, the golden will invite him in, offer him a martini and show him where to find the silver."

In my opinion, labs also fit that description.

Sorry for the digression, Ticomaya, but I couldn't resist telling that story.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 11:35 pm
Just remember, Tico, Diane started it.

Late one night, a burglar broke into a house he thought was empty. He
tiptoed through the living room but suddenly he froze in his tracks when he
heard a loud voice say: "Jesus is watching you!"

Silence returned to the house, so the burglar crept forward again.

"Jesus is watching you," the voice boomed again.

The burglar stopped dead again. He was frightened. Frantically, he looked
all around. In a dark corner, he spotted a bird cage and in the cage was a
parrot.

He asked the parrot: "Was that you who said Jesus is watching me?"

"Yes," said the parrot.

The burglar breathed a sigh of relief, and asked the parrot: "What's your
name?"

"Clarence," said the bird.

"That's a dumb name for a parrot," sneered the burglar. "What idiot named you Clarence?"

The parrot said, "The same idiot who named the Rottweiller Jesus."
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 09:58 am
Roger, I think I was there when you told or posted that story a few years ago. It is a classic with a brilliant punch line.

Sorry again, Ticmaya. I'll stop now and I'll be seeing Roger in May and if he sleeps on the sofa, he might find a surprise if he keeps degressing from your very good thread...watch it, Rog.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:24 pm
No problem, Diane and Rog.

In other news, from Elyria, Ohio ....

Quote:
Pit bull mauls its ownerCounty Dog Warden Jack Szlempa said a Labrador that Galati also owns ate Capone's food, causing him to attack.

When Galati tried to pull them apart, he was mauled by Capone. Chernosky had to beat the animal with a baseball bat until it released its grip, the report said.

Szlempa said Capone is "massively strong" and tangled with an animal control officer for 20 minutes before he could be subdued and loaded on a truck bound for the county kennel.

Capone will be put down, he said. The Lab, meanwhile, was uninjured.

The police report said officers couldn't verify whether Galati has the $100,000 insurance Ohio law requires of pit bull owners.

Pit bulls have a deserved reputation for being ferocious, but that doesn't mean they should be banned altogether, county Animal Protective League humane officer Denise Willis said.

"When you're walking them, they should be muzzled. This is a dog that requires a lot of discipline. I don't think kids should be walking them down the street like I see all the time," she said. "They have a locking jaw on them, which makes their bite much harder than most dogs, so they can cause a lot of damage."

Whether a pit bull becomes dangerous depends on who raises them, who feeds them and how they are treated, she said. Willis said she believes people should be more cautious before purchasing pit bulls.

Szlempa said everyone should be taking protective steps when handling dogs. He said his department has seen a sudden rise in the number of reported of dog bites, but he couldn't pinpoint any one cause.

Cities across the country have taken steps to ban pit bulls with varying degrees of success.

Last year, the Ohio Supreme Court upheld Toledo's ban on pit bulls, which had been contested.

The case law set a precedent for other towns, though Lorain opted not to ban the breed last year after a debate sparked by an attack on 7-year-old Georgia Rice at her friend's East Avenue home.

I'm not sure the "locking jaw" thing has been scientifically established, or if it's just urban myth at this point. In any case, these dogs are extremely dangerous.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 12:34 pm
I've got a feeling that this incident had overtones of faulty nuture, in addition to the basic nature of the dog. The dog was named Capone, not something like Bruce or Charley.

Sorry, Diane. I should have given credit. It was originally posted by Lenny.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:11 pm
The lab probably went to find a toy.....

I wonder if pits were originally that vicious? So many dogs have been bred into the Kennel Club's idea of perfection, without enough attention given to the dog's nature.

I've been around German Sheperds and Rottweilers who were sweethearts, but their owners were wonderful with them and the dogs knew only love and calm, steady discipline.

With all the meth labs being guarded by pits, their nature will become, in my opinion, even worse. The pound here puts down far more pit bulls than any other breed/mix.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:13 pm
whoah bullshit lockjaw? this idiot is in the pet industry?

:/

this sucks, i hear stuff along the lines of "these kids with their pits walkin down the street"

"these guys trying to be tough with their pits walkin them ddown the block"

"showin off tryin to look cool"

"gangster use pits to fight, thats all they are used for"

ANd im sittin here, to be straight up honest, with a fuckin champion dog, CHAMPION, intelligent, strong, fast, agile, tough, and gentle as a damn lamb. attentive, energetic, a little strong headed but shes utterly devoted to me. when she cant sleep in my bed she will whine until im either sleeping on the floor with her, or i make room for her.

i love dogs, in general. except the toy breeds eew. well they are sorta cute.. :/

Everything a dog is supposed to be, a pitbull is the epitome of.

protector
friend
worker

To be honest though, i breed dogs, but not like u know, like farming out my dogs vagina, but i have a litter ever 2 years or so, suits me fine.

so i always have females, im not to keen on males, thats prolly another factor. i imagine with a male pitbull id have to up my daminant status alot, instead of just being calm most the time.

OH OH OH AND 1 MORE THING, PITBULLS ARE BRED TO KILL OTHER DOGS SUPPOSEDLY (I THINK THEY ARE GREAT FARM DOGS) AND THEY ARE DOG KILLERS OR WHATEEVER.

THEN WHY EVERYDAY DOES MY FEMALE PIT AND MY COUSINS MALE PIT, HANG OUT WITH A CHIHUAHUA A POMERANIAN, A JACK RUSSEL, AN AUSTRALIAN CATTLE , AND A DACHSUND, WITHOUT INCIDENT?
(THE MOST ANNOYING DOGS ODDLY ENOUGH, AND MY FAMILY HAS THEM ALL)

not to mention 5 cats, but one time my dog did bite the cat, but thats instinct. and i corrected it.

but hey, in human life, males are the agressors as well(crimewise).
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 02:16 pm
bringing up another topic, why does males commit so many more crimes than females?

is it because the males usually provide? and crime is a form of providing?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 03:14 pm
And what's that all about?--the guy who named his pitt Capone? I'd like to see a collection of names of Pitts. I'll bet very few of them are named Fido, and none of them Sweetie.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 03:21 pm
Ogionik says:
" why [do] males commit so many more crimes than females?
[Is] it because the males usually provide? and crime is a form of providing?"

Insightful question: It depends on the type of crime, of course. But if I had children and could not--for whatever reason--find a job, I would feel MORALLY OBLIGED to steal in order to feed them. And if I am caught and sent to prison, the state would feed me and my children.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 03:39 pm
good point. not stealing would mean child negligence as well, an even worse crime in every aspect.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2008 03:39 pm
ok ok ok lol back on topic HAHAHA
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:42 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
Don't even get me started on how ridiculous I think blaming a breed is.

The last thing I would want to do is get you started, Bella.

That made me laugh. Not sure if it was suppose to or not, but it did. Laughing
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:50 am
Ticomaya wrote:
No problem, Diane and Rog.

In other news, from Elyria, Ohio ....

Quote:
Pit bull mauls its ownerCounty Dog Warden Jack Szlempa said a Labrador that Galati also owns ate Capone's food, causing him to attack.

When Galati tried to pull them apart, he was mauled by Capone. Chernosky had to beat the animal with a baseball bat until it released its grip, the report said.

Szlempa said Capone is "massively strong" and tangled with an animal control officer for 20 minutes before he could be subdued and loaded on a truck bound for the county kennel.

Capone will be put down, he said. The Lab, meanwhile, was uninjured.

The police report said officers couldn't verify whether Galati has the $100,000 insurance Ohio law requires of pit bull owners.

Pit bulls have a deserved reputation for being ferocious, but that doesn't mean they should be banned altogether, county Animal Protective League humane officer Denise Willis said.

"When you're walking them, they should be muzzled. This is a dog that requires a lot of discipline. I don't think kids should be walking them down the street like I see all the time," she said. "They have a locking jaw on them, which makes their bite much harder than most dogs, so they can cause a lot of damage."

Whether a pit bull becomes dangerous depends on who raises them, who feeds them and how they are treated, she said. Willis said she believes people should be more cautious before purchasing pit bulls.

Szlempa said everyone should be taking protective steps when handling dogs. He said his department has seen a sudden rise in the number of reported of dog bites, but he couldn't pinpoint any one cause.

Cities across the country have taken steps to ban pit bulls with varying degrees of success.

Last year, the Ohio Supreme Court upheld Toledo's ban on pit bulls, which had been contested.

The case law set a precedent for other towns, though Lorain opted not to ban the breed last year after a debate sparked by an attack on 7-year-old Georgia Rice at her friend's East Avenue home.

I'm not sure the "locking jaw" thing has been scientifically established, or if it's just urban myth at this point. In any case, these dogs are extremely dangerous.

It is a myth. However, that being said I do know that the dogs do have a much greater jaw strength than a lot of other breeds.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:54 am
The problem is, as stated in one of the posts here, is not that pit bulls attack more often. It's that their attacks are worse than any other dog breed.

It's like not hearing about all the car crashes but hearing about plane crashes. There are far more car crashes in the US than plane wrecks but we hear about the plane wrecks because they are by far worse.

Pit Bulls can be dangerous dogs, especially when not controlled properly. But so can German Shepards. Or Chows. Or Husky's. Or a bunch of other dogs.

I do agree with Tico that there should be more hoops to jump through when wanting to obtain and keep a pit or a pit mix. The problem becomes knowing which dogs have pit in them and where to draw the line. 1/4 pit? 1/2 pit?

I think for pit bulls to be good pets they need to be raised from birth around people and kept under strict control. They are very powerful dogs. I don't disagree that they attack. But the only bites I've ever had were from a Collie. And she'd bite me unprovoked.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 06:57 am
Not that my opinion means much here...but I have always felt that Pit Bulls can be either dangerous or good pets. There are several reasons for my thinking this. The dogs inherent traits are one thing but also individual personality and temperment comes into play, as well as the owner and how the dog is treated.

My uncle owned two - Boudreaux and Gus - both males and both as sweet as they could be. Not a mean bone in their body. I let my kids lay on them and kiss them. I don't think I really at that point had heard how scarey they were - but I don't even think I knew they were Pit Bulls until my aunt told me later on...can't remember. Beside the point...sorry - but I never was scared of them. They were both really good dogs.

I am sure that these dogs are bred for their inherent traits too...human nature being what it is...if someone wants a mean dog...they will breed it with other ill-tempered dogs. Just as if someone wants the good-natured dogs - they will breed with other good natured dogs...is that a possibility? Now that I think about it, can temperment be bred? Must research that.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:01 am
You brought up a good point. You weren't scared of them.

Animals sense fear and I think that it makes them nervous. So since we are all trained to fear pits, they sense that.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 08:59 am
Mismi, Boudreux and Gus were raised by a loving family, exposed to adults and children. All dogs should be so lucky.

Bella, your point is good--the most dangerous part of your trip is the drive to the airport. But in the case of reporting dog attacks, I wonder if pit bull attacks are reported more often or the reporting reflects more pit bull attacks? When a child is harmed, it gets reported. Children are a special case in our society--a bite by the gentlest dog in the world, if it does harm, will be reported.

I do that a pack of dogs, gentle family pets, will quickly become dangerous. Near where I used to live in Connecticut, lambs were often killed by a pack of dogs that, when looked at one by one, were all nice, well behaved family dogs. A pack reverts to its original family, wolves.

Instinct does still play an important part in a dog's reactions. In dogs like pits, I really believe that a trigger of some sort, a series of sounds, touching a particularly sensitive spot, anything that startles him into a mode of self-protection, will result in tragedy.

Edited for grammar.
0 Replies