What's your Good news?

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 08:25 am
Cool, BPB...

Yesterday I was at an event, tons of kids but not many parents. A group of us formed, me and three other moms. As we were talking I realized, these are all friends of mine. Not just people I know. I owe that one a family dinner invitation, I'm meeting this other one for coffee tomorrow, and I see the third one at least once a week as I pick up or drop off a kid from her house (her daughter and mine are best friends). These are people who take it in stride when I say, "Whoa, what? I saw the part about cutting off your ponytail but then I got lost..." They all know how to communicate with me and aren't at all flustered, and I missed very few things in a long, rambling, 4-way conversation (and only had to stop and get caught up once or twice).

And this wasn't scheduled or anything, this was just a spontaneous grouping out of not that many parents.

It always takes three or four years (we moved here summer of 2004) and I'm so, so glad that I'm not looking at another imminent move -- that I can keep this stuff and even build on it. Hooray!
0 Replies

mrhunt

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 12:59 pm
I just found out i got Put to 3 days a week at my One job Which makes me happy as i now have alot more free time....

**** yeah.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Thu 17 Apr, 2008 01:01 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
two of the songs I've been working on for this film project will be finished today and the studio will be sending me an Mp3 to hear... next step.... payday.

I tried to download said songs, but computer did not like it. Payday always brighten and lightens the load.

sozobe wrote:
Yesterday I was at an event, tons of kids but not many parents. A group of us formed, me and three other moms. As we were talking I realized, these are all friends of mine. Not just people I know. I owe that one a family dinner invitation, I'm meeting this other one for coffee tomorrow, and I see the third one at least once a week as I pick up or drop off a kid from her house (her daughter and mine are best friends). These are people who take it in stride when I say, "Whoa, what? I saw the part about cutting off your ponytail but then I got lost..." They all know how to communicate with me and aren't at all flustered, and I missed very few things in a long, rambling, 4-way conversation (and only had to stop and get caught up once or twice).

And this wasn't scheduled or anything, this was just a spontaneous grouping out of not that many parents.

It always takes three or four years (we moved here summer of 2004) and I'm so, so glad that I'm not looking at another imminent move -- that I can keep this stuff and even build on it. Hooray!

That's definitely quality-of-life/I-am-an-adult good news...building on relationships and knowing the parameters...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Apr, 2008 05:34 am
Thanks Gala.

Since it came up yesterday that two people I thought knew, didn't, I'll add specifically that I'm deaf (but read lips) which is why the communication thing is so cool. It always stressful when I make myself known to a new group/ community (in person); I need to manage things carefully, work extra hard to understand people at first (which is the hardest time to understand them -- easier once I get to know them) so that they believe I can lipread and will relax already.

If I get tripped up when I first meet a person, they'll be impossible to lipread ever after since all they will be thinking when they talk to me is "she can't understand me, can she... I know she doesn't understand me..." and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy (all I see is "she can't understand me..." and not the words that are coming out of their mouths).

So it's great that I'm past that, that most people I run into in my everyday life (and that's a lot of people) know that I'm deaf and know that it's not a big deal and know that they can relax already and if I miss something, I'll tell them. (Which then has the result that I miss very little.)
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 08:34 am
sozobe wrote:
Thanks Gala.

Since it came up yesterday that two people I thought knew, didn't, I'll add specifically that I'm deaf (but read lips) which is why the communication thing is so cool. It always stressful when I make myself known to a new group/ community (in person); I need to manage things carefully, work extra hard to understand people at first (which is the hardest time to understand them -- easier once I get to know them) so that they believe I can lipread and will relax already.

If I get tripped up when I first meet a person, they'll be impossible to lipread ever after since all they will be thinking when they talk to me is "she can't understand me, can she... I know she doesn't understand me..." and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy (all I see is "she can't understand me..." and not the words that are coming out of their mouths).

So it's great that I'm past that, that most people I run into in my everyday life (and that's a lot of people) know that I'm deaf and know that it's not a big deal and know that they can relax already and if I miss something, I'll tell them. (Which then has the result that I miss very little.)

sozobe, is it stressful when you make yourself known to a new group or community because the hearing people get all weird about your being deaf?

I have a little bit of experience with the Deaf community and can say that the hearing population is almost 100% insensitive or unaware of what goes on in anyone's world besides their own. For example, staring and or thinking the culture of Deaf people are deficient. Quite the contrary from my experience, Deaf culture has a lot of stability and pride.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 02:42 pm
Hi Gala,

Hearing people get all weird, yeah. Laughing Not all of them, and those that do are weird to different degrees. I definitely run into the deaf=stupid people now and then. (If I see that look I start using Very Big Words. :-D) Most of the time people just FREEZE and start freaking out about what they should do. Speak louder? Speak slower? Enunciate? Speak normally? Can she understand me???

I try to avoid freaking them out further and provide info if they want it and they calm down eventually. That's what's nice about current state of things -- most people I know have calmed down.

That's cool that you have some experience with Deaf culture, even that you know about it as a culture (and you even capitalized the D!). Yeah, stability and pride, I agree.
0 Replies

Heatwave

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 01:01 pm
My good news: I live in a haunted apartment - a conclusion that my husband & I arrived at independent of each other. What's good about that? - I am not scared! A little spooked. But, not scared silly, incapacitated by fear - like I thought I'd be if I ever even felt a whiff of a ghost. I think having to look after (protect) my daughter has grown me a spine. Very Happy
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 06:00 pm
i stood up for myself.
i explained to my current boss that a job i am leaving for is completely separate and he cannot meddle in and 'negotiate' my position there with my future boss to make me some sort of a 'bridge' between the two organizations. i'd not be a bridge, but grain between two millstones. Yay, go me!
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:18 pm
Don't you just love it when they're fighting over you?!

(Okay, maybe not always. Good for you.)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:25 pm
I ordered two new big inflatables and they arrived. My season starts tomorrow...business is rebuilding and I've recovered from 2 or 3 **** years and I'm coming back on top...again.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:27 am
sozobe wrote:
Hi Gala,

Hearing people get all weird, yeah. Laughing Not all of them, and those that do are weird to different degrees. I definitely run into the deaf=stupid people now and then. (If I see that look I start using Very Big Words. :-D) Most of the time people just FREEZE and start freaking out about what they should do. Speak louder? Speak slower? Enunciate? Speak normally? Can she understand me???

I try to avoid freaking them out further and provide info if they want it and they calm down eventually. That's what's nice about current state of things -- most people I know have calmed down.

That's cool that you have some experience with Deaf culture, even that you know about it as a culture (and you even capitalized the D!). Yeah, stability and pride, I agree.

sozobe, when I was in graduate school I wrote an article about the campus Sign Language Club. I followed the group around for about a month. In retrospect, it has more value to me now then when I hung around them at the time. With the exception of the people who would talk to me (let alone make eye contact), all the others thought of me as the dark-haired non-Hoosier East Coast person. Ha.

A few years prior to that article, I'd written a story about a Deaf high school student who was doing animation in Ithaca, NY.

If you'd like, I'll send you the article in your pm box.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 07:51 am
_Heatwave_ wrote:
My good news: I live in a haunted apartment - a conclusion that my husband & I arrived at independent of each other. What's good about that? - I am not scared! A little spooked. But, not scared silly, incapacitated by fear - like I thought I'd be if I ever even felt a whiff of a ghost. I think having to look after (protect) my daughter has grown me a spine. Very Happy

Actually, I think it's good news your house is haunted. That's kind of cool.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:17 am
Gala wrote:
If you'd like, I'll send you the article in your pm box.

I'd love that, thanks!
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:33 am
dagmaraka wrote:
i stood up for myself.
i explained to my current boss that a job i am leaving for is completely separate and he cannot meddle in and 'negotiate' my position there with my future boss to make me some sort of a 'bridge' between the two organizations. i'd not be a bridge, but grain between two millstones. Yay, go me!

That's right--Go You. Is the new job you are going to within the same organization or somehow related? I don't know what's going on but the words "taking advantage" comes to mind. It takes a long time to come to the conclusion that drawing a line (better known as that beastly overused word "boundaries") puts you in less danger than being agreeable. It gives you power.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 06:37 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I ordered two new big inflatables and they arrived. My season starts tomorrow...business is rebuilding and I've recovered from 2 or 3 **** years and I'm coming back on top...again.

Inflatable dolls?

How'd you do that Bear? I mean, on the comeback, especially in this weird-o sky is falling economic climate. Congratulations, by the way.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 08:41 am
SonofEva was on the local early morning news here, along with all the other students who take Rock Band at his school. That's right, Rock Band. It's a small school...they don't have enough students for a regular marching band, but they have enough for several rock bands! Their spring concert is on Friday, so this was a promo. If you want to see the clip, I've posted a link below.

SonofEva is on the back row, so you can't see him too well, but he was still excited! He thinks it's so cool to be able to take Rock Band at school. I agree!

http://www.newson6.com/global/Category.asp?c=121538
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 10:04 am
Gala wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Inflatable dolls?

How'd you do that Bear? I mean, on the comeback, especially in this weird-o sky is falling economic climate. Congratulations, by the way.

inflatable games... not dolls Laughing
and how am I doing it? Work... work.... work..... determination.... tenacity... and more work..... and it's working.....
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 10:42 am
Eva wrote:
SonofEva was on the local early morning news here, along with all the other students who take Rock Band at his school. That's right, Rock Band. It's a small school...they don't have enough students for a regular marching band, but they have enough for several rock bands! Their spring concert is on Friday, so this was a promo. If you want to see the clip, I've posted a link below.

SonofEva is on the back row, so you can't see him too well, but he was still excited! He thinks it's so cool to be able to take Rock Band at school. I agree!

http://www.newson6.com/global/Category.asp?c=121538

Oh, this is too cute. Thanks for sending the link.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:42 am

found a $5 bill on the property this morning.
second time that's happened...
Ragman

Reply Sun 15 Jan, 2012 07:59 am
@Region Philbis,
How coincidental. I ran into that same thing, too. Except it turned out that it was a neighbor who said they're paying me to get lost.
0 Replies