Misogyny Vs. Sexism...and the attack on language

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:17 pm
Quote:

http://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/04/07/misogyny-vs-sexism/

Considering that I have been labeled a Misogynist by some around here this caught my eye. A lot of people (not just here at A2K) throw the Misogyny around but they best redefine the word( and find a new word for males who hate females) if they want to do it. Misogyny is the new rape, a word that has been expended to include so many lessor behaviours that the word has lost much of its meaning. One day the women's liberation movement will figure out that distorting the language around the ever expanding number behaviours that they find disgusting is not in anyone's best interest, including the women. As it is now rape can mean anything from an sexual attack upon a woman (throw the bastard in jail) to a misunderstanding over sex between man and wife (maybe they need to work it out themselves). Misogyny means that someone feels that a man routinely mistreats women (maybe a problem) or has thoughts about women which should not be allowed (some people need a heart to heart on the concept of freedom). With either word using the word does not say much, we need to have a conversation about how exactly the word is being used in this particular case before we can decide if we should get excited, or not. Efficiency in communication is important, but no, we can't have that.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,402 • Replies: 0
No top replies