Ain't mother nature grand?

Portal Star

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:20 pm
"I believe that thinking about something can effect some change."

I would restate it as "Awareness about somthing can effect some change."
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 10 Sep, 2003 11:39 pm
makes me wonder if the 'spellcheck' button is working; i'll try it....

nope, doesn't seem to do anything. Crying or Very sad

I was going to suggest PStar; that being aware of it might affect a change in your posts, but i guess it's not going to help. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:37 am
I won the spelling bee in second grade, and it was pretty much downhill from there. Actually, I attribute my bad spelling partially to spell check, as it fixes things for me. Also, note taking and aim reinforce my bad habits - I see the wrong spelling in print. Also, learning a bit of many foreign languages who's spelling for the same sounds is different has a negative effect. If it pleases you, tell me which are my spelling errors, and I will edit them.

I had a strange writing disorder growning up - sort of like dyslexia, but it was consistently upside-down and backwards. I still put the letters out of order or the wrong way sometimes. And I can read mirror writing, no prob. Suprisingly, Iv'e always been very good at English. My handwriting is horrendous.

note: affect and effect... Hmm I was thinking insure and ensure.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 10:55 am
Portal Star, How did you learn to read? Did you use the phonics or sight reading technique? I think that makes quite a difference in how we spell words. Spelling rules tend to be useless, as there are so many exceptions. I don't pay much attention to spelling unless it's grotesque.

I knew a young boy who from the moment that he started school, read from right to left. Realizing that he was somehow not doing as the rest of the kids were doing, he memorized ever primer. No one caught it until he reached third grade.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 11:04 am
"Nature" is everything that happened and will happen in the future.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 05:32 pm
Letty wrote:
Portal Star, How did you learn to read? Did you use the phonics or sight reading technique? I think that makes quite a difference in how we spell words. Spelling rules tend to be useless, as there are so many exceptions. I don't pay much attention to spelling unless it's grotesque.

I knew a young boy who from the moment that he started school, read from right to left. Realizing that he was somehow not doing as the rest of the kids were doing, he memorized ever primer. No one caught it until he reached third grade.

wow. That's hardcore.

I never had much trouble reading, in fact, the trouble was that I couldn't tell when my writing was backwards, upside down, out of order, etc. I could read it no matter how I had written it (this is part of why it wasn't a true dyslexia) That's why it was so difficult - I couldn't see my writing mistakes. I didn't even know they were there until pointed out.

With the "special" class I learned to see the letters as pictures, seeing the characteristics of one from left to right. For example, I eventually memorized the 2 bubble is open on the left, and makes a v that opens to the right. That way, I would never write a 2 as a 5. I still often subsitiute a g for a d.
I also learned to do my handwriting differently. My letters don't start consistently down or up, which is suprisingly helpful because of the way they flow together, I can focus more on the left to right.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 05:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Nature" is everything that happened and will happen in the future.

I hope not C.I.; i hope 'nature' as such, is just about at its appogee, and about to recede to its proper place as a background to true "culture".

pStar; i was thinking your problem was not inability to spell, but impatience in posting which interfered with your checking the text properly.
Perhaps there is still some lag from the displacement problem.

No matter, we can wade through.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 11 Sep, 2003 06:25 pm
BGW, The "proper place" will be where ever man takes us. The general consensus about where we are headed doesn't look too positive from where I sit, but I'll be long gone before this world sees any improvement or total destruction.
0 Replies