Ain't mother nature grand?

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:48 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Hmm, I should expand....what separates us from the animals is cognition, and the ability to envision and create a balanced world. Yet, we more often than not give into our base instincts, which is counter-evolutionary, not progress. Although we have the capacity to grow beyond that state of 'natural' being, it seems that over and over, we choose not to.

What makes our cognition different than our base insticts? How can we grow past "natural" being unless our mind is "unnatural"? There are other intelligent animals in the world, some with as many brain cells as us. Some especially intelligent animals are: octopi, dolphins, parrots, and pigs. Dogs and cats aren't bad. I don't think one can presume the intelligence of an animal without a standard test that doesn't involve human language.

BoGoWo- it is not necessarily unsuitable for civilization. There are certain situations in which moral conduct and partnership help an animal group to survive. Humans used to live in tribes of about 150, co-operating with hunting-gathering, cooking, etc. civilization evolved out of this. If civilization helps the most members of the species survive, than civilization is in accordance with nature. Usually this would take place through mutual benefit provided by being in a society. If the society is no longer beneficial to the individual, they abandon that society, if possible. Same is true in nature.
Examples of civilization in nature: ants, prarie dogs, wolf packs, canadian geese.

About your example: the fact that the people who were stupid enough to go into a bank that kept killing people would be the feedback control: either the entire population would die, or the people stupid enough to enter the bank would die, not passing on their wanting to go into death bank genes to offspring. Then the bank would cease to exist, having no more customers.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
Portal;

To me 'civilization', while not 'ignoring' the needs of the natural world, is about departing from it into an ever more suitable environment where competition for 'survival' is no longer paramount.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:02 pm
cavfancier wrote:
....what separates us from the animals is cognition, and the ability to envision and create a balanced world. Yet, we more often than not give into our base instincts, which is counter-evolutionary, not progress. Although we have the capacity to grow beyond that state of 'natural' being, it seems that over and over, we choose not to.

That just about sums up my complaint! Laughing
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:05 pm
Portal Star, actually, our minds are in fact 'unnatural', given our propensity for self-recognition, and the ability to question our existence, and the meaning of it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:07 pm
Thanks Bo! Laughing
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:08 pm
Thanks Cav; Laughing Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:13 pm
The choccys were delicious, Bo!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:17 pm
What makes self-recognition un natural? One test of animal intelligence is whether they realize it is themselves in a mirror. Our minds question because that is the nature of learning. We see patterns in nature, and wonder where we came from. Dolphins may well be as intelligent as human beings or smarter. Octopi can solve puzzles. We haven't gotten far in the way of trying to communicate with other animals, we mostly teach dolphins to do stupid tricks, use them to save people, or root out underwater explosives. Our brains are not physically unique other than their massive size, which dolphins equal.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:19 pm
Dolphins routinely corral and gang rape their females. Not terribly evolved, IMO.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:20 pm
And we humans are completetly free of such atrocities Rolling Eyes . Dolphins also have sex for pleasure.

Hard as it is to hear, rape is not bad for nature. It passes the genes along.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:24 pm
"rape is not bad for nature. It passes the genes along."

That opinion is not going to win any friends here...I hope you are just trying to be controversial and don't actually believe that rape is good for nature, or the survival of the human race.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:24 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Portal;

To me 'civilization', while not 'ignoring' the needs of the natural world, is about departing from it into an ever more suitable environment where competition for 'survival' is no longer paramount.

If competition for survival isn't an issue, the people get lazy and aren't ready when trouble comes. Think about politics. Aren't we competing for survival, just within our own species, everyday? Making money and getting food, having relationships, are all part of survival. So are diplomatic affairs between countries.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:25 pm
Mind you Cav; so do Humans, perhaps not routinely. (again, not terribly evolved)

The difference between human, and dolphin intelligence neccessarily comes from hugely different environments, and, therefore dissimilar responses to life.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:28 pm
Hmm...maybe I'm just one of those more evolved people...I would prefer that rapists not spread their seed, and I am sure that most of their victims would concur.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
cavfancier wrote:
"rape is not bad for nature. It passes the genes along."

That opinion is not going to win any friends here...I hope you are just trying to be controversial and don't actually believe that rape is good for nature, or the survival of the human race.

I'm being realistic. I don't advocate rape, and the members of a society shouldn't advocate rape as rape is anti-society. However, genetically speaking (and genes have no moral code), rape plays an important factor in many species. For example, the supression of a secondary sex characteristic hormone in some male gorillas allows them to sneak up to females (who think they are not yet sexually mature) and rape them. This passes on the genes for males without expressed secondary sex characteristics, and this is why gorillas of that species have been showing less dominant male characteristics. It also allows the males to escape the wrath of the older dominant males, as they are percieved as still young and not a threat without their secondary sex characteristics. Those genes were successful because of sex without consent of the female monkey, rape. Again, don't put human morality on non-human issues, especially not when talking about biology.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:29 pm
Uh oh, I'm sounding like a survivalist...help! Heh heh...
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:33 pm
BoGoWo wrote:
Mind you Cav; so do Humans, perhaps not routinely. (again, not terribly evolved)

The difference between human, and dolphin intelligence neccessarily comes from hugely different environments, and, therefore dissimilar responses to life.

You are correct. Except in assuming that evolution requires advanced moral code and socialization. Evolution is adaptation of a species to it's environment over time, sometimes forming a new species. Nothing about morals in there unless morals serve the purpose of good gene perpetuation. I know what you mean about not wanting rapists to survive.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:33 pm
Portal, and gibbons mate for life. The anthropological model for rape as needed for survival is nebulous at best.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:34 pm
Portal Star wrote:

If competition for survival isn't an issue, the people get lazy and aren't ready when trouble comes. Think about politics. Aren't we competing for survival, just within our own species, everyday? Making money and getting food, having relationships, are all part of survival. So are diplomatic affairs between countries.

That's the point, all this is based upon playing 'the game' and has nothing to do with advancing the culture.
Much of the great work of history, be it art, literature, research, etc.
has been done by people who are independently endowed to the point of not being 'survival challenged', and they don't seem to be very 'lazy'.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 10:36 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Portal, and gibbons mate for life. The anthropological model for rape as needed for survival is nebulous at best.

You are attracted to this because gibbons follow our own model of love and relationships. So do swans (I think). You're still projecting your morality onto nature. Rape may be good for the passing of genes in certain situations, and there are genetic advantages and disadvantages to monogamy. Think outside the human box. Think greater scope, genetics, the future, and genes. It's like thinking historically, but with nature.
0 Replies