Bookbinding

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:41 pm
Is there anyone out there who is interested in artful bookbinding?? Tell me about it!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 968 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 10:14 am
mmm probably not quite what you mean - but i often make handmade books with a series of my prints in.

I keep meaning to do some courses on bookbinding and learn the stitching etc.

I made books as part of my degree too. I just worked out an easy way I'm afraid but they look good for what i want of them - I don't know if it is any use to you at all but this is how i tend to do it:

I use thin card for the back and front covers and use a hole punch - the kind you use for filing. The art work that i want to put in is cut to size and hole punched.

The card for the back and front is covered in hand made paper or material or whatever you want. The i create a sort of U shaped piece for the end - the bottom of the squared U is the depth of pages and then about 1-1.5 incheds overlapping the front and back of the book.

Then i tie coarse 'arty' string through, winding it through twice and then tying in a double bow so that it doesn't unravel.

You could paint on silk for the cover and use a silken tie.

You can paint/print on the cover - i often print on hand made paper and use that.

The finished result looks great and hand-made - but maybe is not as neat and professional as you mean????

One i made as part of the degree course was autobiographical and the cover included coils of copper wire and printing - it has to be kept in a box as it is really quite 3 dimensional.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 2 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
I just know a little bit of the history of bookbinding ... and old bookbindings as well :wink:
0 Replies