A Brit in The Orient.

Mathos

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 12:39 pm
A few photographs:

In the Killing Fields there are numerous places were you can see signs of bones and clothing barely covered by the earth. These items below have obviously been further uncovered and left, to show just what a terrible deed was carried out here.

Not just with the murders, but the total dis-regard and lack of respect for the dead.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110425.jpg

The signs as shown below are self explanatory.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110439.jpg

I must say we found it difficult ourselves to accept the reality of these actions. Being there is so much different than the news shots or books and newspaper articles you may have read regarding the same. The realisation of such a level of pure evil and not just media hype or a Hollywood movie, hits home with quite an impact.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110440.jpg

It really happened.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110441.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 12:47 pm
A monument has been constructed in memory of these attorcities.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/Holiday2007112.jpg

The same contains more skulls.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110401.jpg

And even more.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110399.jpg

It would be impossible to say that anything the Cambodians have done in general to improve the appearance of these fields has been beneficial.

That would be an impossibility, once you have seen the real signs of the occurences for yourself, nothing can make the place anything different than what it is.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110418.jpg

When will mankind ever learn?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110416.jpg

There is a sign up in one of the buildings stating that all the clothing remnants have been disinfected!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110403.jpg

Personally, I can appreciate that the world must not forget attrocities of this nature, and there have been some this last sixty years alone, which is pure evil on a massive scale.

I rather think the body parts, skulls and bones that is, should be afforded decent burials or cremation though.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/P2110421.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 12:54 pm
The current population of Cambodia is some 14 Million people

Male life expectancy at present is 59.3 years

Female life expectancy at present is 63.4 years.

A bit of History on Cambodia.

The 13th and 14th centuries were not at all successful for Cambodia.

It is largely believed that the country was badly ravaged in wars with Thailand, Siam as it then was which was becoming more powerful during this period of history.

SIAM had been previously paying homage and respect to Angkor.

Others believe the induction of Theravada Buddhism, which was extremely contrary to the Cambodian social structure at that time.

The historical records are rather sketchy at best regarding Cambodia and it is considered the "Dark Ages" of Cambodian history.

Cambodia was continually ravaged by Vietnamese and Siam invasions, wars and general torment until the 19th century, when new dynasties in these countries fought over control of Cambodia.

The war, beginning in the 1830's virtually destroyed Cambodia. There are still strong disagreements with Thailand and Cambodia also Vietnam and Cambodia regarding land and border issues.

King Norodom signed a treaty enabling the French protect the country,thereby creating a more safe environment for the Cambodians by stopping the wars the country was involved in with both Vietnam and Siam.

The French really ruled Cambodia for almost a hundred years from that time (hence the French connection throughout the country, especially Phnom Penh officially speaking though they were just advisor's.

Advisor's with the final say on all important topics and matters,

The French built roadways and improved certain living standards in Phnom Penh for instance, they encouraged improvement in trade and transportation for instance.

However, they very sadly neglected the education for the Cambodians and the levels of the same are still extremely poor up to this day.

It is a part of their existence which has never really got off the ground.

Little wonder when you realise the way the country has been run and controlled in general.

I would recommend two books myself for outstanding reading and information.

Pol Pot

Author Philip Short.

The History of a Nightmare

Pot was the architect of a nightmare. The personal vision he had of a Shangri-La, Utopia was enforced by a period of unbelievable terror. How he even thought of carrying out this madness, let alone trying to consider what he hoped to achieve by the same is beyond any form of normality.

The true number of Cambodians to have perished will probable never be known. At least one million, some claim more likely to be two million.

This was a beautiful land, a land which had suffered through no fault of it's own.

Quote from William Shawcross Daily Telegraph.
'An impressive study - first hand accounts of the destruction, the paranoia, the unspeakable cruelty and the day to day banality of the Khmer Rouge leaders.'

Quote:- Johnathen Mirsky Literary Review.
'A comprehensive and eloquent biography of a monster'

The second book is:-

Daughter of The Killing Fields.

Asrei's Story

Author Theary C Seng

Asrei was a toddler when the Khmer Rouge killed her father. In prison she fell asleep in her mother's arms and woke to find her gone forever.

The book tells how Asrei {Theary Seng} spends her early years passed from one set of relatives to another, amidst a backdrop of soldiers, landmines, inadequate refugee camps and unrelenting death.

Confronted by a sea of human suffering from the age of three, she very soon learned that; ' life is but a breath.'

It's a tonic to the soul to see improvements as are obvious today and the obvious peace and tranquility of a scene like this.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/100_0204.jpg

However, I want to give you an insight into the terrible occurences from one of the prisons, The Toul Sleng.

Following a short account of this I will devote more time in the coming week to the more modern day Cambodia.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 12:59 pm
The Toul Sleng prison was re-opened as a historical museum memorialising the actions of The Khmer Rouge and receives on average some five hundred visitors every day.

The photograph below is one taken of a prisoner, a young lady and I thought it applicable to use the same as an illustration.

Upon arrival at the prison all prisoners were photographed and expected to give a fully detailed biography. This had to commence from their childhood and finish at the time of their arrest.

They then had to remove all clothing except the basics of underwear.and all possessions were taken from them.

Everything!

They were taken to cells. Some in the larger cells would be shackled to long pieces of iron bar, in the smaller cells they would be fastened to the floor, walls or even the ceiling.
Prisoners, like the lady here were made to sleep without the comfort of mats or blankets, let alone mosquito nets.

Their heads were faced in opposite directions and they were not allowed to talk to each other.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/S-21_0177PhnomPenhPrisonPolPot.jpg

At 4.30 every morning they were awoken and made to strip totally for inspection.

They were given small buckets and told to toilet themselves, if they did not they would be severely punished.

They were checked over and inspected thoroughly for any objects the guards considered it may have been possible for them to have discovered and hid on their person.

They would receive four spoonfuls of watery rice porridge and watery leaf soup, twice a day.
They would be severely beaten if they drank water without the guards permission.

They were hosed down every four days.

At times they were forced to eat human feces and drink urine.

Skin diseases broke out due to the unhygienic conditions they were forced to exist in.

The medical staff were untrained and would offer treatment only if ordered to, to a prisoner who was injured following intense beatings for interrogation purposes. Within two or three days of arriving at the prison they would be interrogated.

Most prisoners were held for up to three months. The torture system was designed to make them confess to their captors to whatever crime they were charged with. They were routinely thrashed and tortured with electric shocks, hot metal instruments, hanging, and several other devices used to administer horrendous pain, and subsequent terror.
eg pulling out fingernails, teeth etc. holding their heads under water, water boarding.

Women were raped and terribly abused. Rape was considered to be against Democratic Kampuchea policy and perpetrators would be executed if found out committing this crime.. They say!

The prisoners had to describe their backgrounds and crimes against the state.

At the finalisation they would give names of friends, colleagues, and acquaintances who were also deemed to be traitors.

People whose names were in the confessions were also brought in for subsequent
interrogation.

One a young Englishman called John Dawson Dewhirst arrested in August 1978 claimed to have been a CIA agent from 12 years of age.

When they ran out of burial spaces in the prison grounds, the prisoners were taken to Choeung Ek extermination centre and beaten or hacked to death with iron bars, pick axes, machetes and other handy instruments. The Khmer Rouge were not to waste bullets on them.

Fewer than twelve people survived the prison out of some known 14,000 who were taken there.

The Khmer Rouge kept meticulous records of their action and prisoners. Children as young as 3 or 4 years of age were taken there and murdered.

There were of course NUMEROUS other prisons scattered across the country.

Many of the older Cambodians will not talk about these events. Little is taught about the same to the young.

Tight lips is apparently the mode of the present day and this results in confusion from the younger generation.

Cambodians still live with caution aggravated by an inner fear.

It is no surprise to me.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 01:28 pm
Due to an error on my behalf, it is possible that the photograph taken from the Toul Sleng Prison may not have shown up, I am replacing the same here.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/S-21_0177PhnomPenhPrisonPolPot.jpg

Sorry for any inconvenience.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:12 pm
I thought I would carry on with some information and photographs regarding Tonle Sap Lake and Angkor Wat.

It was quite a decent drive to Siem Reap too. The roads and everything in general have improved quite dramatically.

We took a room at The Royal Angkor Resort Siem Reap. It was good value for money too, outstandingly flash and at the time we got a two nights for one deal, took six, paid for three.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/JimFloOrient2007064.jpg

It was more of a suite than a room and Flobo was more than suited. There was nothing in existence like this when we last visited town.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/JimFloOrient2007065.jpg

Brilliant large pool too.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/JimFloOrient2007066.jpg

It had been many years since we had last visited Cambodia, last time we were on the Lake it was like a war zone. Everybody appeared to be armed and people were getting shot and or shot at on a regular basis.

Treasures that hadn't been stolen and sold or simply smashed up from Angkor Wat under the guidance of the Khmer Rouge were still being stolen and sold off at an alarming rate. They were even cutting the beautiful stone heads off some of the stone carvings and selling those. It was criminal.

As it is, there are many treasures from Angkor all over the world and these are being sought out, hopefully most will be returned in due course. A fortune has been made by the unscrupulous also by selling imitations.

Cambodia has manged to clean it's act up tremendously over the last few years.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/TonleSaplakeCambodia.jpg

For hundreds of years maybe longer, the lost city of Angkor was itself a legend. Cambodian peasants living on the edge of the thick jungle around the Tonle Sap lake reported findings which puzzled the French colonialists who arrived in Indo-China in the 1860s. Natives spoke of temples built by gods or by giants. The stories were casually dismissed as folktales by the French.

Obviously they had people mapping the areas and exploring throughout Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam in general.

Henri Mahout's discovery of the Angkor temples in 1860 opened up this `lost city' to the world. The legend became fact and a stream of explorers, historians and archaeologists came to Angkor to explain the meaning of these vast buildings. It was like one of those 'gold rush' parties to the Black Hills of Dakota and that got the Indian Treaties smashed up too. The earliest of these scholars could not believe that Angkor had been built by the Cambodian people, believing the temples to have been built by another race who had conquered and occupied Cambodia maybe 2,000 years before. Gradually, some of the mysteries were explained, the Sanskrit inscriptions deciphered and the history of Angkor slowly pieced together, mainly by French scholars in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

I'm not the originator or creator of the aerial type photograph as shown below either. I thought it most suitable though to use the same (I had purchased it) as it shows more than can be expressed regarding the most central part only of the area and topic under discussion.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/003.jpg

It's a good looking pad though isn't it.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:14 pm
The temples at Angkor are spread out over some 40 miles around the village of Siem Reap, about 192 miles from the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh. They were built between the eighth and 13th centuries and range from single towers made of bricks to vast stone temple complexes. There are two main sites where the Khmer temples are located. The first is at Roluos which is about 10 miles south east of today's village of Siem Reap, where only a few of the earlier temples were built. This was the first Khmer capital in the Angkor area. In the late ninth century, Yasovarman I moved the capital to the immediate vicinity of Siem Reap. This is a much larger site, where the majority of the Khmer temples are located. It is officially known as the City of Angkor. There are other temples located in the area, some up to 20 miles away from Siem Reap. Khmer temples can also be found in many other parts of Cambodia, as well as China, Thailand, Laos and Vietnam.

A tremendous amount of restoration work has been done on many of the temples. When we were last here there was no security in Cambodia and the continuing rebel insurgency around the Angkor region, most of the temples were closed.

The Major Temples being:-
ANGKOR WAT:
Regarded as the supreme masterpiece of Khmer architecture, it is a huge pyramid temple built by Suryavarman II between 1113 and 1150. It is surrounded by a moat 570 feet wide and about four miles long. The mass of bas-relief carving is of the highest quality and the most beautifully executed in Angkor.

BAKONG:
The central temple in Indravarman I's city of Hariharalaya. It is a large pyramid temple, measuring 180 feet square at the base. It was built towards the end of the ninth century.

BANTEAI SREI:
A delicate and small temple around 15 miles from the village of Siem Reap. It was built by Jayavarman V and finished in AD968. It is an example of the idea of making a temple complex comprised of several buildings, and features some very fine carvings in pink sandstone.

THE BAPHUON:
A large pyramid temple built by Udayadityavarman II between 1050 and 1066. It features beautiful carvings including a 131-foot reclining Buddha.

THE BAYON:
A massive temple complex built by Jayavarman VII between 1181 and 1220. It features 3,936 feet of superb bas-relief carving and mysterious Buddha faces carved on the towers of the third level.

PREAH KO:
An early temple at the Roluos site about 10 miles from Siem Reap. It was built by Indravarman I in the late ninth century.

PREAH KHAN:
Built by Jayavarman VII in the late 12th century, this large temple is very well preserved and features excellent carvings.

TA PROHM:
A very large temple complex enclosed by a moat. It is one of the most beautiful of the Khmer temples as it has not been restored, but has been left surrounded by jungle. It was built by Jayavarman VII in the later 12th century.

TA KEO:
A sandstone temple built by Jayavarman V between AD968 and 1001. It has a large central tower surrounded by four smaller towers.

An observation I made and heard of;-

In 1976, University of Michigan researchers announced the results of a scientific study which suggested that the architect of ancient Cambodia's Angkor Wat had encoded calendrical, historical and cosmological themes into his architectural plan for the temple. Published in the journal Science, the study also demonstrated how Angkor Wat's architect had established solar alignments between the temple and a nearby mountaintop shrine that took place during the summer solstice.
"Astronomically, it (Angkor Wat) has built-in positions for lunar and solar observation. The sun itself was so important to the builders of the temple that solar movement regulates the position of the bas-reliefs. It is not surprising that Angkor Wat integrates astronomy, the calendar, and religion since the priest-architects who constructed the temple conceived of all three as a unity. To the ancient Khmers, astronomy was known as the sacred science."

To be honest with you, I think a great deal of our 'findings' are based on wanna-be's getting their names into print. Everything in stone is from the space-men don't you think from The Pyramids, Stonehenge, The South American Temples and now Angkor Wat.

Just look at it, it's beautiful and man made, Spacemen would have had televisions in every room!

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007161.jpg

I took that photograph and all the others, unless I say different are taken by myself or Flobo.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:18 pm
Erich Von Däniken. Did you ever read any of his books. Space,men in the attics, they're all over the place according to Eric. Ground control to Major Tom.

Oh Dear, dear, dear!

Never mind. Carry on with the thread Mathos.

The grounds around the buildings are quite spectacular too. Something special about them, a feeling of calmness has come upon Angkor over the last few years, it feels good now. I really wish it well and hope the restoration satisfies it's existence and being.

It truly is a most spectacular place.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007105.jpg

What a mammoth task it is going to be to get this lot back together again, but different countries are putting money into the venture and it appears to be going along quite well from what I could see.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007128.jpg

It must have looked absolutely spectacular when it was built and in it's prime.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007122.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 03:38 pm
Flobo and myself are extremely lucky to be able to travel about as much as we have been able to do, since our kids grew up and went their merry ways in life.

They didn't go so far either which is great, because we see them most days and have the added bonus of five fantastic grandsons.

We enjoy our travels and every now and then they allow us to take one or as this last time two of the lads along with us.

Great fun it is too.

Anyhow, what I was going to mention was a young lad we came across on Tonle Sap Lake in Cambodia last year.

You know in the western world, if you need an ambulance for instance it's normally a rapid phone call and one is there within minutes. In the UK the 999 service is outstanding.

There is a natural human tendency to take such benefits for granted.

The young lad I want to tell you about lives on Tonle Sap Lake, he was swimming in the lake and there was an accident, his left arm was severed right off by the propeller blade on a long tail boat.

You can imagine the pain, the shock, the loss of blood, the terror..

As it was the people got him out fast and he was lucky enough and young enough to survive this terrible incident and live.

I don't suppose he ever received counseling or such like.

No.

He has to provide for himself and there is no benefit system on The Tonle Sap Lake.

He sells bananas or begs from an aluminium tub.

He propels that tub about with a little paddle and he can fair make it move, it's important that he gets to a prospective customer for instance before any other vendor does.

He doesn't feel one bit sorry for himself either.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Scenic%20shots/Tonle%20Sap%20Lake%20Cambodia/JimFloOrient2007243.jpg

I just thought he was one hell of a kid and wanted to mention him.

I have a great deal to enter up with regard to Angkor Wat and also Tonle Sap Lake.

I will carry on with Angkor hopefully over the next few days and then break into the Tonle Sap information and some really outstanding photographs we have taken.

Trust you are enjoying the same.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:10 pm
When you see the trees on photographs at the ruins of Angkor for instance it is quite an amazing sight.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007134.jpg

The sizes appear astronomical. It enables you to appreciate what they must have cleared over the years since its location in the 1860's for example.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0256.jpg

Aren't they something else.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007111.jpg

I think it's only when you stand by those trees though, (as others who have been there) and no doubt there will be some reading this thread who have seen the same and general sizes of everything that you realise for yourself exactly what is what in the comparison charts so to speak.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0260.jpg

They really are enormous, gigantic, and so are the building blocks used in the construction of the Temples.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:15 pm
Apparently when they first came across 'The City' it was totally overgrown, the jungle was reclaiming what was rightfully it's own!

They have since located further parts to the city and surroundings from space I am lead to believe? It appears they can locate buildings beneath the jungle growth.

Can you imagine how a city would change if man was wiped out of it over a period of a few hundred years. Take New York for instance, what would happen to it all if man was kicked out and it was simply left to the elements.

I had seen a great deal of the normal photographs of Angkor, but these type really fascinated me, I think the architects concerned with the rebuilding of all this have a fantastic vocation on the world stage.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0250.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 11:55 am
There is an amazing walkway which leads across the grounds around Angkor and then crosses over a very wide moat.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0276.jpg

The grounds were host to several magnificent but much smaller Temple like buildings as you can see above.

The obvious beneficial factors in having so much water available would be for irrigation, drinking, bathing, washing, watering stock, cooking and of course protection from invading forces.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0274.jpg

Obviously these magnificent cities and palaces were not put up in a day, the working schedules over the years though must have involved a tremendous work force along with elephant power I rather imagine.

It would have been a tremendous task feeding the builders and their families throughout the many years of labour and the transportation of materials to the various sites must have been a massive undertaking.

It was a tonic in its own rights to see such happy kids around the moat in the modern day scenario of Angkor.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007196.jpg

It was a really hot couple of days that we actually spent going round these amazing buildings, as you can see from the arid looking state of the grounds in general, rain was required.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007168.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:01 pm
The local area was very pleasant, people really took a great deal of pride in showing off the most basics of life with elements of pride in the presentation of their homes in particular.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0197.jpg

There were times when we actually wondered if there was anybody there.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0199.jpg

Well, yes they were, they were busy with the stalls trying to make a living out of the most basic of sales between themselves to the Angkor visitors and all in all came across as a happy pleasant group of people

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007187.jpg

This was a beautiful tree close to the moat, later in the day, the locals were all seen to be dining out along this particular stretch, it looked great for them, and we were given snippets of food from their pic-nics, which was also very nice, and extremely kind of them.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007191.jpg

There were smaller moats and various pockets of water all over the surroundings, the demands of the existence of a large community and livestock etc at the times of construction must have been amply satisfied.

I do wonder what went wrong here..

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0220.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:06 pm
When you ponder over various buildings which are part of the construction and see how much stone was used, it 's quite amazing as to how ingenious the thinkers, the architects, the craftsmen and masons in general really must have been.

They deserve a Five * rating at least.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007176.jpg

I took some close ups of the stone spindles for this photograph it simply fascinated me, it would be a work of art today making a show like this with modern equipment, I rather think.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007184.jpg

The carvings here are absolutely beautiful and the various walls around the Temples, in and out, show so much beauty and skill in their creation.

In it's day, the same must have been absolutely remarkable.

What a great pity it is that all this neglect, damage, vandalism, and theft has been done.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007175.jpg

It appears when you take stock of the area in general that psychological thought was given to the construction as well as the fundamental requirements.

Chill out areas were quite obvious and apparent.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007170.jpg

The Panoramic Views from various points, especially the higher stages were breath-taking.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007181.jpg

Flobo and myself sat down a few times, taking stock, not just as we saw it then, but as we imagined it might well have been all of those years ago.

It was a brilliant period of great enjoyment and we still talk about that. It's difficult to re-create back home, but looking at these photographs and writing about it does help.

Imagine the landscape with elephants, mahout, tigers, crocodiles and every other type of animal you can think of, people working in the vicinity, there were rice fields etc all around and no doubt other crops being grown to feed the masses. Livestock farming and fishing. Monkey's chattering in the jungles swinging through the trees, no doubt visiting the buildings, the beautiful birds that must have been flying about, chirping and whistling away.

You really can get carried away in 'thought or dreamland'

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0214.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 18 May, 2008 12:19 pm
Imagine the costings to build a fraction of a hotel in the style above today.

It is indeed a wonderful place to visit and also to share with you who have not been there.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0254.jpg

Being able to take a fair appraisal or balance of craftsmanship from the days of construction felt extremely enlightening.

It was rather dodgy so to speak getting over some of the damaged large stones especially as some stages proved to be quite insecure. The last thing in the world we wanted out there was any kind of accident.

However, we did climb the main Temple which was an extremely dangerous point of Angkor Wat, we understand that there have been deaths as well as serious injuries by people undertaking the climb and falling. I have some photographs of us both ascending the 'wall of death' and I will show these at a later date.

They are great photographs.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:38 am
I did a little reading with regards to the moats and water content around Angkor, there are many conflicting theories. The obvious demands not being ruled out.

It has long been assumed that they were simply used for irrigation, some historians argue that their primary function was political or religious. Today, the moat around Angkor and the West Baray still contains water, but the remainder have virtually dried up.

As you tour the temples, you will see certain mythical figures and other motifs cropping up repeatedly.

The Celestial nymphs Apsara always bare breasted usually dancing and showing obvious beauty we normally associate with the fair sex. (That was nice wording for the ladies Mathos)

Kala, has a very ugly if not monstrous type face, usually found on the gateways, apparently to guard against evil.

Strange how the comparisons are similar across the other side of the world, take for instance our 'Gargoyles' around Westminster Abbey and such like to guard against and ward off evil spirits.

The Naga is the mythical type numerous headed serpent along the guardrails of each entrance at Angkor Thom. Many such serpents or indeed many of a similar nature can be found on most Temples in the Orient.

Singha The Lion reminded me of our use of the word 'Simba' stylized Lions often guarding temples and used throughout the world to represent a guardian type protector or custodian.

Enough of my ramblings for the present, I'll put a few photographs on board.

The large courtyard areas almost remind me of large purpose built swimming or simple bathing pools. The workmanship again is quite spectacular.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007171.jpg

I didn't get agreement on my suggestion with others regarding my particular strain of thoughts, but never the less it adds fuel for thought.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007173.jpg

The wall murals are spectacular to see as well, however with a standard type camera as we have, it is not possible to photograph the same close up due to the lens restrictions and a wide angle close quarters type machine would be necessary to show the same on a photograph.
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:42 am
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0284.jpg

I often wonder how the architectural side of the structure was portrayed, the 'gold diggers' so to speak never seem to come up with sets of plans or a planning approval letter of authority, do they.

We called out here for a bit of a drink, the lady at the homestead was really proud to show off her family.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0232.jpg

They certainly didn't have much at all, but seemed well fed and clean.

The home was very basic. We noticed too how kids looked after kids over there, many younger children were being ferried about here and there by slightly older siblings for instance.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0241.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:52 am
Mother wanted to make us a snack, she was cooking some sugar cane and other bits and pieces in a giant wok. The product had a pleasant aroma and she didn't waste much time in getting it all fired up and on the boil so to speak.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0233.jpg

I just happened to think, how we (well our wives and girlfriends) have all the bonus equipment at home and in modern day facilities throughout the globe. What a difference.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0231.jpg

It turned out to be a brown substance at the end of the day, all neatly wrapped up in a large fig leaf and it tasted and rather looked like 'fudge' It was OK.

Apparently they have used the same for nutritional and energy support when low on normal food etc. Rice and meat for instance.

I have been told since that insects are sometimes added to the concoction, but I have no real idea if they were put in the selection we were given and also purchased. It tasted really good though.

The kids took great delight in showing us the family holding of 'swine' They were proud of their little lot.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0236.jpg

Dad shouted across to us to view his well, which he had dug by hand, it was deep.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007104.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 10:58 am
Around the ruins here and there in the grounds there was absolutely beautiful music being played.

The small groups of musicians consisting of victims of land mines of which there are thousands of amputees in Cambodia and Burma for that matter. The poor souls are glad to be alive, the use of such weapons is truly an awful part of the terrible awfulness of warfare.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007106.jpg

Both Flobo and myself have seen numerous children without legs and other terrible injuries caused by these evil weapons. It is a shock to the system, believe me, to see so many afflicted in this manner.

Just how many have been killed by them, even in so called peace time is anyones guess.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0229.jpg

Sometimes I look at the world and think we must all be stark raving bloody bonkers.

I'm simply airing basic thoughts, not making it political, I can look again at the Angkor Wat and see so much beauty from the same species of animal that does so much harm, and here we are, the intelligent group, the human chain.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0266.jpg

Look at these faces for example.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0265.jpg

So much pain, so much beauty and at times a picture of peace and tranquility which is beyond words.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0262-1.jpg
0 Replies

Mathos

Reply Sun 25 May, 2008 11:14 am
So I thought I would show you 'The Wall of Death'

I think I mentioned earlier on on the thread that people have fallen from these temples, apparently ascending and descending the steep stepped narrow ledges which really do take a bit of climbing in the heat of the day especially. Some have been badly injured others have actually lost their lives here.

I thought I had better go first.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0279.jpg

It was steep, the ledges were extremely narrow. In all honesty, it would not be permitted for visitors to climb such like in any first world country or indeed in many others, Cambodia has no such restrictions though.

It's a bit like taking marijuana or magic mushrooms. If you want it, it's here do it.

Nearly there Mathos.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0280.jpg

Flobo was soon behind me.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007177.jpg

There's no way she wasn't going to do it in any event.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007178.jpg

Made it, I was glad about that, I can tell you.

It was worth the climb though at the end of the day.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007186.jpg

Wherever we came across steps of this nature though, they were extremely steep and very narrow.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007149.jpg

They had put a timber one in situation alongside the stone ones in this section. Still steep though, but more foot room and you could hold the timber frame.

There was only one way down though and that was the way you came up. Albeit on the other face, a bit of a metal rail had been crudely fastened to the side of the steps. It was insecure though. I felt it best to ignore that and I went down slowly close to the wall, with Flobo following. Coming down the descent was actually much more difficult a task than climbing up the same and more dangerous.

A beer was in order after that.

Which way to the bar then?

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/100_0230.jpg

Well deserved

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007188.jpg

Tasted great as well.

Cheers.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk175/JimmyTheJoint/Angkor%20Wat/JimFloOrient2007190.jpg
0 Replies