Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 04:07 pm

former red sawx outfielder Jim (should be in the Hall of Fame!) Rice was in southie yesterday -- signing autographs, so jes surprised me by walking over and waiting on line to get me an autographed ball.

http://mlblogs.mlblogs.com/photos/uncategorized/rice.jpg

it took me 43 years to obtain my first sports autograph, and i will cherish it for the rest of my days...

so what sports autographs do you possess?
have you purchased any?
sold any?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,814 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fishin

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 06:05 pm
I've only ever had one - when I was a wee tyke I played Little League baseball. Mid-season we took the annual trip to watch a MLB double-header in NYC. Mets vs. Pirates. Both games were real sleepers. If I had been older I'd have bought a newspaper to read.

Instead I got stupid and blew $.20 on a pack of bubble gum that came with 5 baseball cards. A guy on one of the cards happened to be playing that day so my coach dragged me down to the edge of the field in between games and got the guy (who I'd never heard of) to sign his card for me.

Being the genius that I am I promptly traded the card with another kid for a pack of twinkies.

1967. It was Tom Seaver's rookie card fercrissakes! *cringe*

At least the twinkie was good...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 06:29 pm
I don't suppose Sky King counts...

probably Dennis Day.

Besides, that's long gone.

Oh well.

In my transition house in Humboldt County, the owner was a major baseball card collector. Plus collector of other stuff. So I had a 4 bedroom house and lived in one bedroom and the kitchen, storing stuff in the garage. The rent was right, so I'm not complaining; indeed he was a good guy.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:12 am

fishin',

seaver didn't become Tom Terrific for another 2 seasons.
i'd say, at the time, you got the better of the trade...

osso,

Sky King doesn't count here, but Dennis Day sneaks in on a technicality -- he died of Lou Gehrig's disease...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:47 am
PS Mr. Rice was very dapper albeit kinda tired from all that signing.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:15 am
I met some ballplayers. But I was a young teenaged girl. I giggled mostly. And I didn't have the presence of mind or the foresight to ask for an autograph. (Mickey Mantle, Whitey Ford, Yogi Berra)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:03 am
Those were the days..
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 09:12 am
I was five or six at the time. Had my picture taken with Alfred Manuel Martin.
0 Replies

Stormwatch

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:07 am
I have Johnny Pesky's and Coco Crisp's autographs, and had my picture taken with David Ortiz Very Happy All obtained at Fenway. I also have one from one of the Tigers, but it's not Magglio so it didn't matter and I forget who it is now. I'll have to ask my son Laughing
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:07 pm
The best one I have is Big Papi.

I have to check because I know I have some others that are now Major League Red Sox that we got when they were minor leaguers. My daughter has pictures with several of the players that are now major league from when they were in the minors - she attended a baseball clinic with them a couple of years ago.

Oh and we have a picture of my daughter with Big Papi - it is my wallpaper on my computer here at work.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:22 am

congrats to Jim Ed for finally making the hall of fame...

and, no, i ain't sellin'!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 Jan, 2009 11:27 am
I have a Schwarzenegger signature on one of his 'mr. universe' pose pictures. Bought it at a garage sale for a dollar Laughing

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies