Trading Spaces/Changing Rooms

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:38 pm
It seems like Americans and Brits alike have grown to adore these shows.
Do you watch?
I'll also include the new American 'While You Were Out' show as a possibility.
Would you take part in this?
What is your favorite aspect of the show?
Your favorite designers/carpenters/hosts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,946 • Replies: 24
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:42 pm
I watch Trading Spaces and really would love to have Geneveve in my house...and of course..Ty would have to be the carpenter! I like Vern and Frank as well, but with my luck Id have Hildie or Doug, and that I think would be bad.
Recently been watching the new 'While You Were Out', and can I just say that its soooo scary. Interesting but, the looks on these poor peoples faces when they get home is priceless and I wouldnt want to be one of them. I dont understand why they arent nuts that a camera crew is in their house filming them though, they're all pretty much too confused for an irate reaction maybe.
Commercials this weekend are for Trading Spaces being in London with the Changing Rooms people and I think it will be nice to see how its done on the other side of the pond.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 05:45 pm
OH! OH! I love this show!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate Paige, though. Alex was sooooo much cooler.

Ty, is, of course, adorable, but I like Amy Wynn, too. Vern is probably my favorite designer in terms of taste, but I like Frank's personality a lot. Gen is from Minneapolis like me, about the same age, (I think she's younger), and reminds me of several friends. She sometimes has great ideas, sometimes does NOT. (Anyone see the moss wall episode?) Doug is a freak, but sometimes has decent ideas.

I'd take part in it! I think. The one thing is I have a lot of antique wood furniture, and my head would explode if they painted it. I can't believe how often they do that.

"While You Were Out" has promise but is really sporadically captioned (I've corresponded with TLC several times about their weirdo captioning, including no captions even when the little "cc" icon appears), so I've only seen one with captions. I like Teresa -- she's got a brain. (Unlike Paige... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.)

ETA: I just saw your second post, Quinn. I didn't know that about London! Gotta see that one.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:15 pm
Actually I like Paige but, she can be a bit much so, I dont know if I could actually take her around me for too long a period of time.
Amy is fantastic actually I would just like to hang out with Ty, hes so cute!
The moss...yeah, that was a bit wierd! And I did like "A pretty Room by Doug" although it was really really blue.
I dont know about that antique furniture, they'd paint it, Im sure. Actually saw one episode where they didnt paint the really nice furniture and it surprised me.
Hopefully the captioning will resolve for you and While You Were Out, sometimes that makes the whole show.
yep, cetainly have to watch the London one!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:00 pm
There's a canajun version of the program as well - so i get to see them all! brit, amie and canajun - i don't watch tv very often, but i've been known to do the occasional weekend marathon of those programs. We also have a variation which involved the same designer, Debbie Travers, for every program. I think I like her the best - she does a lot with sari fabric, which i just love !

A friend of mine was selected to have her kids' rooms re-done - they are fabulous - even better live than on tv (i always wondered how those rooms would look once the lighting guys left).

There are also 2 programs - 1 canajun and 1 brit - that have a similar premise - but only do gardens. They are very dangerous to watch.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:02 pm
the moss wall was probably one of the funniest things i've ever seen - you just knew what the reaction was going to be
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:07 pm
I'm probably in the minority, but I don't like these shows at all cause I don't like the whole premise. I'm much too possessive of my 'stuff' and wouldn't want anybody, any time, doing anything to my 'stuff' without my full knowledge and approval.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:14 pm
Surprise Gardener Ive watched a few times, not as interesting as the others in my opinion.
bandylu, good for you! I also would rather control than give up control, so I actually like watching how people do that, what they get, mostly it reinforces my whole control issue.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:26 pm
I enjoy watching Trading Spaces. Less so, While You Were Out. I wouldn't mind somebody coming in and redoing my living room, but I'm not interested in spending two days fixing up someone else's digs. (Selfish me.) Just keep Doug and Hildy away from my place. Vern is the best. Lucy is also good. I think the new guy, Edward, has created some lovely rooms, but he's not the most relaxed tv presence I've ever seen.

The show is fun, except for the poor lady who cried. Not fun, that.

R
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:19 am
I like these shows. My husband finds them dull - I wonder if that's a gender thing or just our house.

I like Frank and dangit now I can't recall the name of the Southern female designer with the curly red hair. Anyway, I like her, too. Plus Vern although he's a bit toooo precise. He seems calm though you have to sometimes wonder if he's not dying inside when someone moves a tiny accessory (there was an episode wherein he hung a bunch of crystals from wires strung around a bed. It was lovely and all, but you know those crystals are going to start getting moved around every time someone gets out of bed). There's no way I'd ever want to work with Hildy.

Ty is, well, Ty. Hubba hubba! Either he or Amy would be fine for the carpentry. I'd probably have to pick Amy as I'd never get anything done just staring at Ty.

I don't know if I would do it. There's a lot to do in our home and it would be great for an energetic group to be able to come in and remove all of the paper and old curtains from the dining room. I wouldn't mind too much if they refinished the dining table, either, as it's a bit scratched. For our other rooms, though, we've done something fairly recently, so I'd hate to have that undone.

Is "While you were out" the same as "Surprise by Design"? One of them is the unsuspecting person is sent out of town for a few days while their spouse is quizzed on their preferences and can win prizes. Whichever one that is, it's odd.

Oh, and have you seen the British "House Invaders"? I think I like that one the best, as it seems the most practical. E. g. experts come in, you supply the materials and some of the labor, and they do things like finish the bathroom tiling job you started or paint the living room.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:52 am
House Invaders sounds so very interesting!!! Probably quite a few people out there that could use that service.
Probably like Weekend Warriors, however you dont get any aid on that one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 05:36 pm
I've got too many reno projects to do to worry about control. Pick a room, any room, do what you want, paint what you want. Just let me sleep in a hotel room overnight. A hotel room where dogs are allowed. A hotel room where there is room service. Call me Eloise.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 08:53 pm
I really really really just want a ceiling in my kitchen again. This year would be nice. However, the guys did come to measure for carpet today...thats at least a step in the right direction.
I would let someone take over my livingroom, Ive done nothing to it for 10 years. Pretty sad actually.
Yeah, roomservice, jacuzzi, take pets....sounds like a deal!
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:09 pm
I love trading spaces Ty is my favorite. He's so cool. Oh Beth, the moss, lol. I thought I'd die when I saw that. I'd flip if anyone ever did that in my house. Have any of you seen the one where they covered the wall with straw? A total nightmare. The people had small kids too Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:12 pm
Not the straw, but I did see the one where they (Hildy, I think) covered a wall with dark brown felt, in a house with cats. That would get SO messy SO quick. (Well, maybe the cats were dark brown...)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Mon 18 Nov, 2002 11:17 pm
LOL, she's the one who did the straw, I think. I didn't see the felt one, but it must have been a riot. I remember one show where a woman actually cried.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:44 am
do you guys get InTouch magazine? Ty is one of the glamour boys in the Nov. 18 issue.

sszszszszszszszszstttttttttttt

hot to the touch
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 11:57 am
wondering where I can possibly find that magazine? Smile
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 03:10 pm
Ty is awsome!!!! I'll have to scope around for that mag :-D
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 19 Nov, 2002 04:44 pm
Seems that although we all adore Amy...Ty must be around somewhere...to admire or something
Thats good.
Funny also that most people have said the same things about the same designers, thats really amazing when you think about it.
0 Replies