Traffic Tickets

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:17 pm
Had a cop give me a ticket once that belonged to the car in front of me. I take care to not stick around similar cars in traffic (if it can be avoided). My word against the cop - no way I win in court without video.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:20 pm
Our community is introducing traffic cameras at busy intersections to catch folks who 1) fail to clear an intersection before the light turns red, and 2) fail to come to a complete stop behind the white strip before turning right on red. A ticket for $100 shows up in the mail along with the photographic evidence of one's guilt. I hate the concept (I'm a classic "slow-then-go" right on red turner) but the times they are a-changin'.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:22 pm
JPB wrote:
Our community is introducing traffic cameras at busy intersections to catch folks who 1) fail to clear an intersection before the light turns red, and 2) fail to come to a complete stop behind the white strip before turning right on red. A ticket for $100 shows up in the mail along with the photographic evidence of one's guilt. I hate the concept (I'm a classic "slow-then-go" right on red turner) but the times they are a-changin'.

And in IL they're taking away your guns too so you can't shoot the !@#$%^& cameras.

Assbags.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2007 11:53 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
You were in the middle of the intersection when the light turned red? Well, I don't know Georgia law, but in Illinois that's a traffic violation (New Yorkers would know it as "blocking the box"). You could take this to court, but my guess is you'd still lose. Pay the ticket and next time don't proceed into an intersection unless there is a full car length clearance on the other side. It's considerate, it's common sense, and it's the law.

Unlike BPB, I know this is ancient post I'm commenting on, but ... in both Kansas and Arizona, if you are in the middle of an intersection when the light turns red, it's not a traffic violation. You must get the front of your car past the prolongation of the lateral curb lines before the light turns red, or it is a traffic violation.

I'm flabbergasted to learn of a contrary rule. What is one to do when turning left, you are out in the intersection waiting on cross traffic, and the light turns yellow? Pull in front of oncoming traffic to avoid the possibility of getting a ticket? That's crazy.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:23 am
This is the law in WA State and it is a traffic violation:

"RCW 46.61.202
Stopping when traffic obstructed.

No driver shall enter an intersection or a marked crosswalk or drive onto any railroad grade crossing unless there is sufficient space on the other side of the intersection, crosswalk, or railroad grade crossing to accommodate the vehicle he is operating without obstructing the passage of other vehicles, pedestrians, or railroad trains notwithstanding any traffic control signal indications to proceed.

[1975 c 62 ยง 48.]"

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.202
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2007 09:34 am
Not every place has lead lefts and smart lights. Here in Michigan there are NO smart lights that I'm aware of. Left turns at lights are usually waiting games until the light turns yellow above you, oncoming traffic slows or stops, and you complete your turn. You have no other choice.
0 Replies