Traffic Tickets

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:54 am
I received my very first traffic ticket a few weeks ago. On the ticket, the cop wrote that I failed to stop at a red light. This was in downtown Atlanta at 3:30pm on a weekday. Once I got my bearings and questioned him about the validity of the ticket his story changed and he said that I got caught in the intersection when the light changed and held up traffic. To make a long story short, instead of paying the $101.00 ticket, I'm thinking about fighting it. My husband says no, that the judge will more than likely go with the cop and I'd end up having to pay even more.
What do yall think? Should I fight or pay it and move on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,544 • Replies: 25
No top replies

max

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:57 am
hmmmmmmmmm. Let me think. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:59 am
eoe- Sounds like you were attempting to quickly get through a light that was changing, and got caught up in the opposing traffic. Doesn't sound like the cop changed his story. If I were you, I'd pay the fine, and move on!
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 11:15 am
The light was green when I pulled out into the intersection but traffic wasn't moving. The light changed while I sat there and there was no where for me to go. It's a very unusual street setup that I'd think the judge, familiar with the intersection, might appreciate. But tell me, if he doesn't and I lose, will it cost me more than just paying the fine?
0 Replies

max

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 11:31 am
I don't know Georgia law, but here if I got a ticket I would have two choices. Pay the ticket or appear before a judge. At that time, I could explain the circumstances, and then it would be the judges call. And! If the cop does not show up, it could be dismissed. I would not pay a court fee.
So, you more than likely won't pay more than the fine. I'd call the court house Tuesday morning.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:35 pm
eoe wrote:
The light was green when I pulled out into the intersection but traffic wasn't moving. The light changed while I sat there and there was no where for me to go. It's a very unusual street setup that I'd think the judge, familiar with the intersection, might appreciate. But tell me, if he doesn't and I lose, will it cost me more than just paying the fine?

You were in the middle of the intersection when the light turned red? Well, I don't know Georgia law, but in Illinois that's a traffic violation (New Yorkers would know it as "blocking the box"). You could take this to court, but my guess is you'd still lose. Pay the ticket and next time don't proceed into an intersection unless there is a full car length clearance on the other side. It's considerate, it's common sense, and it's the law.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 07:38 pm
yeahyeahyeah.
okay
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 09:58 pm
Do you have a precourt thing? where you can show up early like on Monday morning - plead guilty and pay like about 1/2?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2003 10:04 pm
I thought that I got shafted about a year ago when a sheriff gave me a speeding ticket going up hill, and it was going to be about $140.00 and a moving bad mark on my record. So I did a little inquiry found I could pay $70.00 by just pleading as the county office or plea not guilty and go to trial.
I decided to go to trial. They try and scare the living pizs out out of ya. I told my story the Judge looked and said I might be able to contest it - I needed to talk it over this the Atty for the County. They were not going to roll over - so I did a plea bargin. I got the speeding dropped and changed to a nonmoving offense and paid $65.00 plus fees.
I felt pretty good.
PS - the ticketing officer does not have to usually show up in court. this is all based on my State and County laws. Check your own.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:08 am
Usually it pays to fight a traffic ticket, because the vast majority of the time the ticketing officer is unavailable when it comes time for the court hearing. Even if the charge isn't dropped, the fine is often reduced and/or the number of points are reduced. If you have the time, you may as well go and see what happens.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 02:41 pm
eoe

Jespah has given the answer to always remember...every time.

As a LEO myself (and one who has also been cited), keep one important fact in mind:

The power of "respectful explanation" knows no bounds! Guilt does not enter into it.

Depending on your personality (crucial:unfortunately) and your ability to plea your position, .....you can never really "lose" by trying.

Plead your case!

Do not regret it if you don't get what you want.

At least you will get experience....for the next time.

D
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 05:57 pm
But if I lose, will I have to pay any additional fines, like court fees?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:18 pm
eoe, Some states allow the driver to go to traffic school to 'write off' the violation. Look into that before paying your ticket. The ticket will mean higher insurance in the future.
0 Replies

KYN2000

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:24 pm
eoe

Appearing before a magistrate or judge, to contest a traffic violation will result in an immediate (usually) finding.

Let stand the charge....dismiss the charge...or reduce the charge.

Paying additional "fees" is not common.

Now, once you enter a lawyer into the mix....then things do seem to "elevate" themselves.

Ask an attorney (friend?) about your particular case.

Me?

I would just show up at the appointed time and place, of my hearing and plead my ("degree") of innocence.

The point is this!

Most people just pay the fine because they think that they have no other choice and they cannot win!

Think of it this way, eoe.

As crazy as it may seem, the people who are turning the blue lights on you, and those who are making you pay the fine.....are just ordinary people.

They can be .....discretionary (ie: influenced) if you'd only make the effort.

P.S.

If you do try, and do indeed improve your situation, the feeling you'll get......money cannot buy!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:21 am
how long since you had a ticket? Go fight it and if that doesn't work ask for a PFJ....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:23 am
and dress nicely (as if you wouldn't) but not in a way that makes you look like you have any money.... respectful of decorum but not affluent... believe it or not that's a good strategy...
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 10:33 am
Check that date Bear!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 11:18 am
Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:02 pm
But did you have to pay the ticket?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:13 pm
yeah. Haven't gotten one since. And I am careful about getting caught in intersections so, lesson learned.
0 Replies