quinn1

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 04:53 pm
I am a big fan of dips, and wondering if anyone has any great dip recipies they would like to share?
I would enjoy something that could be made easily and quickly with what I might have at home.
I get incredible cravings for chips & dip or veggie dip so, anything for that would be very muchly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 6,002 • Replies: 30
Topic Closed
No top replies

JerryR

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:02 pm
Hiya quinnie!!

My favorite dip is Roasted Goat Cheese, with Spicy Tomato Oil.
Really easy, the amounts are kind of subjective, but let's say it's just for the two of us Very Happy .

I'd take a pint of grape tomatoes, cut them in half and salt the cut side.
Put them cut side down on an oiled baking sheet, then put them in a moderate (400 degree) oven for about half an hour, or til they begin to "collapse" and get some color around the edges. Remove to a mixing bowl, then mash with a potato masher, add a bit more oil, maybe 1/4 cup, and some hot, smoked paprika (to taste, I like it spicy!!), and salt and pepper as needed. In a small crock, place a cup of goat cheese in the center, and smear lightly with oil, place in a hot oven for about ten minutes, remove, pour the tomato puree around, and serve with bread crisps. Yummm!!
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:17 pm
Oh Jerry, I just got really really hungry...thanks! Smile
0 Replies

bandylu2

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:19 pm
Sorry, quinn, can't help with anything different. My family loves the old Lipton Onion Soup Mix and sour cream dip so that's about all I ever make. And, of course, we eat it with chips (or pretzels).
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:38 pm
Lipton works <dont let Jerry see that..lol> and I can usually calm the intense cravings I get with just that and an entire bag of chips all to myself. So, although Im hoping for other ideas, I know what you mean.
0 Replies

JerryR

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:49 pm
I lOVE Lipton Onion Dip!!!

Perfect "day after" food!! Laughing

But I also love Fava Bean Hummus!!! Very Happy
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 06:56 pm
Fava Bean Hummus wouldnt be at the top of my list but, you know..whatever blows your skirt up honey

Laughing

Day after food, or everyday food even
0 Replies

ehBeth

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:22 pm
What have you got in the fridge right now? Any plain yogurt you can dress up? Cream cheese? Mustard?
0 Replies

roger

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 07:43 pm
I used to like plain Kraft's Bacon & Horseradish Dip (sorry gang) but haven't seen it in years. Like so many things, their dips seem to have been replaced with house brands of no special distinction.

My sloppy joe makes a really good hot dip, but I've presented the recipe to an unentheusiastic audiance before.
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:36 pm
ehBeth..I might have some mustard slthough, Im not quite sure...nothing for the rest

roger..I LOVE sloppys..dang, went grocery shoppin earlier, if I had known dangit I would have got the stuff to make em...will have to put it on the list for next time!
0 Replies

Piffka

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 09:58 pm
I'm a Big Dip sort of person. We love the Onion Soup dip, known on the box as "California Dip" but we've got fancier tastes, too.

Do you like artichokes with parmesan and chilis? That's fast to prepare... smash some canned artichoke hearts with equal amounts of parmesan and green chilis. Add mayo too. Heat for a minute or two in your microwave until the parmesan melts.

Then there's that lovely baked Brie. Take a round of Brie, rub curry over the entire cheese, put hot pepper jelly on top and bake for 15-20 minutes. You can put nuts on the top, too.

I adore baba ghanoush... roasted eggplant with garlic, tabouli, etc.

Hummus? Yummus.

How about Spinach Dip? Drain, squeeze & blot with towels, a package of frozen spinach (The only reason to buy frozen spinach!). Mix it with Knorr's vegetable soup mix and sour cream... the recipe is on the back of the box. Get real fancy and find a sour dough round. Cut out the top and innards, cube for dipping. Put the dip inside... very 1970's... still good.

Hey, my kids will squeeze ranch dressing right out of the bottle into a bowl and call it dip!
0 Replies

quinn1

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:01 pm
LOVE artichokes!! Thats a good one!

Spinach/Knorrs sounds good as well.

Ive done the bread thing on many many occassions...never realizing its a 70's thing though.
0 Replies

Piffka

Sun 17 Nov, 2002 10:13 pm
I'm pretty sure that California Dip predated it by only a year or two.

Then there are sweet dips...

Strawberries dipped into brown sugar... gosh, that's good!

Raspberries dipped in cream or vanilla yogurt.

Fingers dipped in chocolate syrup!!!
0 Replies

roger

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 12:45 am
Apples dipped in warm peanut butter!!
0 Replies

quinn1

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:27 am
Finger dipping is also a favorite Smile

I personally enjoy apples dipped in caramel
0 Replies

Sugar

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:29 am
I like anything with cheese. A nice fondue, melted brie, that Frito Lay Cheese stuff mixed with salsa or some good old hot Cheez Whiz. Spinach and cheese or avocado and cheese with bread, but they always give me salty chips. Oh well.

I also like that chick pea/garlic/oil stuff they give you for bread at restaurants. And one of my favorites gives chicken liver pate - but that doesn't really count as a dip. Or any nicely flavored olive oil......mmmm......

OK, so anything with a heavy fat content is just fine with me.

Those apples dipped in warm peanut butter sounds good.

When I was little my cousins used to babysit me and we'd have lemons dipped in sugar. I don't know that I'd eat them by the dozens like I did then, but they were so good.
0 Replies

Piffka

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:32 am
There's that easy dip of a puddle of olive oil with a splash of balsamic vinegar, meant for bread. That's good!
0 Replies

quinn1

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 09:58 am
Bread dipping in oils is always very good
Fat is also nice and tasty
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 05:44 pm
This year on my birthday, or somewhere around it, I went to a very fine Greek restaurant with Setanta and my parents. They served their bread with poshest olive oil swirled with good vermouth. Addictive. We had a pikilia platter of Greek dips to follow. As i used to say when i was tiny, num num!

This thread hung in my brain all day. I had to stop on the way home tonight to get some bruschetta in a tub. Having it with triscuit and cheese. It's a sorta dip.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Mon 18 Nov, 2002 07:06 pm
A personal favorite and always a hit at gatherings of folks comfortable enough with one another to be relatively unconcerned with breath odor ...
Mix an envelope of Dry Toasted Onion Soup mix into a pint of REAL Sour Cream (None of that "Lite" stuff, please). With a garlic press, add several cloves of fresh garlic (if you don't have a garlic press, peel the cloves, mash 'em with the flat of a knife, and then mince them). Add a goodly dash of fresh-ground Black Pepper, and a couple TableSpoons of mayonaise. Stir well, cover, and chill in the refrigerator at least overnight. The flavor continues to develop for a couple days. Warning: It is "Spicy" ... the garlic istself, if added in sufficient quantity becomes rather "Peppery".

While on the subject of garlic ... roast several whole buds of garlic at 350 degrees for about 1/2 to 3/4 hour, peel and mash, then add to a pint or so of excellent Full Flavor Olive Oil. Seal and store a few weeks. Warm it a bit, and dip freshly baked hard-crust bread of your choice.

Okay, a mustard dip ...
About a half cup of Dijon Mustard and a half cup of honey (more or less of either to your own taste), mixed with a couple, maybe three, tablespoons of mayonaise. I haven't found aging to make much of a difference with this one, its good to go as soon as mixed and keeps for days if properly stored and refrigerated. Cutting a hefty dollop of this dip into a suitable quantity of good olive oil liberally laced with wine vinegar results in a nice salad dressing, too.

timber (who disclaims any responsibilty for heartburn or weightgain)
0 Replies