UN and Nato troops clash with Serbs in Kosovo

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:00 am
Quote:
U.N. and NATO troops clash with Serbs in Kosovo

Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:56am EDT

Reuters
By Branislav Krstic

MITROVICA, Kosovo (Reuters) - NATO troops came under fire during Serb riots in the northern Kosovo flashpoint of Mitrovica on Monday, in the worst violence in the territory since the Albanian majority declared independence last month.

The rioting was a challenge to the authority of NATO, the United Nations and a fledgling European Union justice mission, underscoring fears that Kosovo could be heading for ethnic partition exactly one month after breaking away from Serbia.

Reuters witnesses in the town reported hearing gunfire as hundreds of Serbs clashed with the NATO peacekeeping force KFOR, and with U.N. police.

A French NATO spokesman said automatic weapons fire had been aimed at peacekeepers, but gave no further details.

The violence began at dawn when several hundred U.N. special police backed by NATO peacekeepers stormed a U.N. court that had been seized by Serbs on Friday, and arrested dozens.

Hundreds of Serbs fought back with stones, grenades and firecrackers, forcing the U.N. police to pull back and leave KFOR to face the rioters. Rioters attacked three U.N. vehicles, breaking doors and freeing around 10 of those detained in the raid, witnesses said.

The police and troops responded with tear gas. Some U.N. vans with detainees were still in the courtyard of the compound, with dozens of Serb protesters outside blocking their exit.

"After attacks with explosive devices suspected to be hand grenades, and firearms, the police are ordered to withdraw from the north of Mitrovica, while the situation will be taken over by KFOR," a U.N. police statement said.

"Eight French KFOR soldiers are injured with grenades, stones and molotov cocktails," said spokesman Etienne du Fayet de la Tour. Their wounds were not life-threatening, he said.

The U.N. police force (UNMIK) reported three of its officers had been injured. The Polish news agency PAP said 13 Polish members of the force had been hurt.

"AGREEMENT VIOLATED"

Serbian Minister for Kosovo Slobodan Samardzic demanded the release of three dozen Serb judges and former court officials arrested in the retaking of the court.

"Disregarding everything, they (U.N. and KFOR) carried out this action and provoked the citizenry," he said. "We had an agreement not to undertake any action before I go to Mitrovica," he told the Serbian state news agency Tanjug.

Samardzic said he had met U.S. diplomat Larry Rossin on Sunday and offered a plan "for resolving all issues between UNMIK and Serbia and in connection with Serbs in Kosovo".

KFOR is the U.N.-mandated NATO peacekeeping force in Kosovo, where about 120,000 Serbs remain and form a bitter minority among 2 million ethnic Albanians.

The raid to retake the court coincided with the March 17 anniversary of Kosovo Albanian riots against Serbs in 2004, in which 19 people were killed and hundreds of homes and churches burned in two days of chaos that caught NATO flat-footed.

It was this flare-up that pushed the West to start talks on Kosovo's final status

The territory had spent years in limbo as a U.N. protectorate after NATO intervened in 1999 to evict Serbian forces and halt the ethnic cleansing of civilians in response to an armed Kosovo Albanian insurgency.

The takeover of the court on Friday was the latest effort by Serbs to assert control over policing and justice in north Kosovo following the ethnic Albanian majority's declaration of independence on February 17.

Kosovo's Serbs, almost half of whom live in the north, reject Kosovo's Western-backed declaration of independence.

Belgrade, supported by Russia, has vowed never to accept the secession, and to extend its authority over Kosovo's Serb-populated areas, particularly the north.

Kosovo's secession has been backed by the United States and the European Union.

(Additional reporting by Fatos Bytyci, Shaban Buza; writing by Matt Robinson and Douglas Hamilton; editing by Kevin Liffey)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,386 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:03 am
http://i26.tinypic.com/kb3taf.jpg

http://i31.tinypic.com/29kwh7a.jpg

http://i26.tinypic.com/15nvuz4.jpg

More photos
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:05 am
Sad to say that this behavior on the side of the Serbs is no surprise. I only hope the Europeans will not cave in to Serb pressure. These are the quintessential "give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile" folks"--this could become another Bosnia in short order.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:22 am
Setanta wrote:
this could become another Bosnia in short order.

That's what I fear.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:31 am
Can someone help me understand what is behind all this?

I mean I knoow I could search and wade, but does anyone understand it well enough to be relatively impartial, clear and succinct?

Other than I know countries hate having bits secede....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:48 am
Kosovo became 'independent' but the Serbs don't like it.

[Both is understandable for me.]
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:56 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Kosovo became 'independent' but the Serbs don't like it.

[Both is understandable for me.]

Doh!!! That I know.

I am interested in why the whole split thing etc.

Still, I guess it isn't called Balkanisation for nothing.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:00 am
A pretty good reading about why Albanians and Serbs fight in Kosovo:

A short history of Kosovo
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:10 am
Francis wrote:
A pretty good reading about why Albanians and Serbs fight in Kosovo:

A short history of Kosovo

That ain't a short history.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:13 am
dadpad wrote:
That ain't a short history.

Well, it took me between five and ten minutes to read...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 07:26 am
I'd call it short . . . of course, i routinely post longer explanations than that in response to trivial questions.

Kosovo is symbolic to the Serbs, because Greater Serbia nationalist fanatics have made it so. The Turks handed the Serbs their collective ass there in 1389 (most battlefields are restricted to a few square miles, but the Serbs are nothing it not grandiose). Therefore, even though the Serbs did not control the region until after the Paris Peace Conference in 1919, they have claimed that Kosovo is the "spiritual heartland" of Serbia. Few Serbs lived there until Tito spread Serbs throughout Yugoslavia, and most of those that do live there live in the north.

The majority of the population of Kosovo are ethnic Albanians, and are, at least notionally, Muslims. The Serbs are not just Orthodox christians, they are militant Orthodox christians, and one of the keynotes of Serb propoganda since the late 1980s has been to identify all people who are Muslim, or even have merely a Muslim ancestry, as "Turks," thanks to the Bosnian Serb propagandist, Radovan Karadzic. Calling them Turks is waving a red flag to a bull, figuartively speaking, when it comes to nationalist Serbs.

The Serbs with militant attitudes are nothing loathe to challenge the military resolve of NATO and the UN. Any faltering on the part of NATO military forces and UN police will likely lead to a deteriorating situation and another Bosnia.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:03 am
Quote:
A UN police officer has died from injuries sustained in the worst violence in Kosovo since it declared independence last month.

The Ukrainian officer was one of hundreds of riot police, backed by Nato helicopters and armoured vehicles, deployed in the Serb-dominated north of the Albanian-majority province.

Police used grenades and teargas to restore control of a court building occupied by Serb activists last week in the town of Mitrovica. Rioters threw rocks, grenades and Molotov cocktails and used automatic weapons against Nato troops.

More than 60 UN and Nato forces and 70 protesters were wounded, and a police spokesman said an officer died in a military hospital after suffering unspecified injuries yesterday.
[...]
Some 40,000 Serbs of Mitrovica are militantly opposed to Kosovo's independence and, backed by Belgrade, are bent on partitioning Kosovo and taking over the police and justice institutions in the north.

Vojislav Koštunica, Serbia's nationalist prime minister, accused Nato of operating a "policy of force" against Kosovo's Serbs and said he was talking to Russia about how to react. That suggested there could be demands to deploy Russian troops in the Serbian-dominated parts of Kosovo, increasing the likelihood of partition.
[...]
Source
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:32 am
Goddamn Serbs . . . some of them won't be happy until they've started another world war . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 12:11 pm
There's a quite excellent website from the Guardian newspaper's Special Reports.

It covers the background, history and politics of the new Balkan country Kosovo.
There is a also a blog-style list of news updates. A range of viewpoints on Kosovo are covered, from those who are against the formation for the country to those who support it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/kosovo
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 02:36 pm
dlowan wrote:

I mean I knoow I could search and wade, but does anyone understand it well enough to be relatively impartial, clear and succinct?

Northern Kosovo is mostly Serb, and they don't want to secede. Common sense would dictate that the border would be drawn between the population that wants to secede, and the population that does not.

However, NATO has decided to tell the Serbs in northern Kosovo that they have to secede along with the rest of Kosovo.

These Serbs are going to kill NATO and UN forces until they relent and draw Kosovo's border so that the Serbs in the north remain part of Serbia.

I expect the attacks will increase and grow more lethal as a guerrilla movement is organized.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 02:43 pm
oralloy wrote:
Northern Kosovo is mostly Serb, and they don't want to secede. Common sense would dictate that the border would be drawn between the population that wants to secede, and the population that does not.

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/51/270px-Kosovo_ethnic_2005.png

oralloy wrote:
However, NATO has decided to tell the Serbs in northern Kosovo that they have to secede along with the rest of Kosovo.

Really? When?

And what about the UN Security Council Resolution 1244, the draft resolution ... ?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:14 pm
oralloy wrote:
dlowan wrote:

These Serbs are going to kill NATO and UN forces until they relent and draw Kosovo's border so that the Serbs in the north remain part of Serbia.

I expect the attacks will increase and grow more lethal as a guerrilla movement is organized.

Another problem is, the way the Serbs have been treated in the last 10 years has built up a lot of anti-western sentiment in Serbia.

The Kosovo war in the late 1990s began with terrorists from Kosovo killing Serbs. The leader of those terrorists is now the leader of Kosovo. I can imagine how Americans would react if someone responded to 9/11 by giving part of Manhattan to al-Qa'ida.

Further, the west supposedly tried to negotiate peace between the Serbs and Kosovo in the late 1990s. However, the US and UK put provisions in the agreement at the last second that there was no way the Serbs (or any other country) would ever accept, and which really had little to do with the dispute between Serbia and Kosovo. Then they said there could be no more negotiations and Serbia had to take it or leave it. The Serbs didn't accept, and this was used to justify the bombing of Serbia. Meanwhile, Kosovo violated the terms of the agreement quite profusely, without NATO doing anything to hold them to the agreement. And since the 1999 war, many Serbs have been blatantly murdered and/or ethnically cleansed in Kosovo, with NATO standing by and doing absolutely nothing to protect them. This has all resulted in quite a bit of hard feelings on the part of the Serbs.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:25 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/5/51/270px-Kosovo_ethnic_2005.png

Yes. The three red sections in the north, along with northern Mitrovica, are going to be a killing ground until they are allowed to stay with Serbia

Walter Hinteler wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Really? When?

Not sure of the exact date, but I presume from the first day of Kosovo's secession.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
And what about the UN Security Council Resolution 1244, the draft resolution ... ?

I think Resolution 1244 says that Kosovo is part of Serbia.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:32 pm
We haven't heard the last of the Bosnian Serbs either.

Now that Kosovo has seceded from Serbia, it is only a matter of time before the Republic of Srpska declares independence.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:55 pm
oralloy wrote:

I think Resolution 1244 says that Kosovo is part of Serbia.

Quote:
substantial autonomy within the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

On June 3, 2006, Montenegro officially declared its independence, Serbia followed on June 5.
0 Replies