What's the best stability ball (exercise ball)?

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 04:31 am
I'm busy exercising at home. Free weights, resistance bands, plus lots of walking. Right now I'm looking to mix it up as that helps to prevent weight loss plateaus.

Hence I'm looking at stability balls. These are those big honkin' plastic balls that you sit on or (BPB, easy there) put between your legs or whatever and do all manner of marvelous exercises designed to make you skinny but also look very weird while exercising.

Anyway, there are about a million choices on Amazon and the like and I'm stumped.

What size do I get? I'm 5'6" and not exactly a delicate little flower, if that makes a difference. Do I buy a pump with it? What about a chair that goes with it? I've seen those but they seem weird to me. Then again I am using a regular chair for some exercises (seated dumbbell curls, etc.) so if I had a better chair-like thing that would probably be better for me, plus I could send the chair I've been using back to the guest room.

Any ideas? All ideas accepted, amusing and otherwise. Thank you. Smile

PS They look like this: http://www.chiisland.com/weight_loss/images/exercise_ball/exercise_ball_blue.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 12,466 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 04:41 am
I dunno, the people across the street from us were having a yard sale, and I bought one from them for 2 dollars...came with the pump.

They're very sturdy jes, made of really thick material. For me, the most important thing was the air pressure.

I just messed around adding/releasing air until it felt right.

I don't use mine for excercise/strength building per se, but for a nice stretch.

I'll sit on it, then roll onto the small of my back. From there I use it for support will I put my hands over my head, lean back and touch the floor behind me. While there, I'll rotate my hips in circles and other random motions, and just enjoy the feelings.

Very relaxing.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:15 am
Chai wrote:

I'll sit on it, then roll onto the small of my back. From there I use it for support will I put my hands over my head, lean back and touch the floor behind me. While there, I'll rotate my hips in circles and other random motions, and just enjoy the feelings.

Pant! pant!....

well? you knew it was coming.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 06:18 am
I didn't mean it like that.

Since my rolfing, I really do appreciate more how body parts work together, the joints, muscles, range of motion, etc.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:41 am
I've seen and tried those chair things used with the ball. I didn't find it comfortable, and it seemed cheaply made.

From what I've heard, the sausage shaped "balls" seem to work out best. I would have loved to have been there when Nermal's claws made their way through mine.

I would pick one at the small end of the size range, Jes. They are more related to hight than anything else. The pump will be included. Best thing I've seen about these things is that they are fairly cheap. When they get boring, you haven't lost much.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:43 am
When I get bored with it, I balance roland on it and we pretend he's a circus cat.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 11:55 am
Has Roland been declawed?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 12:15 pm
well, the ball is so thick his claws wouldn't go through it, but yes, he has been.....I know, I'm a terrible mother.

But, he still has his back ones.

If for some unimaginable reason he ever went outside, no other cat would mess with him....he's the size of black panther. But he's my baby boy.

meow.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 02:47 pm
Leg length is key. I'm only 5'2" but because of my legs I need a 65 cm. ball.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:43 pm
I ordered a yellow one. Smile
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
The proper color is the key, as I understand the premise...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 05:46 pm
Excellent choice.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:27 pm
Yellow...like the sunrise...like distelfinks.

Adding link:

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=distelfinks
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:32 pm
I've often wondered about that.

Of course, yella is just perfect - for you!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:49 pm
I can't visualize Margo with any exercise ball but one inclining towards the reddish side of purple.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 02:02 pm
roger wrote:
I can't visualize Margo with any exercise ball but one inclining towards the reddish side of purple.

zackly right you are, Roger!!!!

Matching my new, unexpectedly quite red, hairdo!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 02:20 pm
Ms Margo Magenta
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 19 Mar, 2008 05:48 pm
Well, it's an interesting toy. But I don't think I've inflated it enough and now I can't get the pin out. I'm a klutz with this kinda stuff.

PS It is very yellow.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 02:51 pm
Get under the pin with a table knife or something, and pry it up a bit. Then grab it and wiggle it around a bit while pulling up. Next time, don't put the plug in dry.

This works much better than those medicine bottles that instruct you to push down while pulling up.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2008 05:42 pm
I figured it out. You kind of press in just underneath the pin and it comes out.
0 Replies