0
   

20/20: OK to put 10 Year Old on Sex Pervert List For Life ?

 
 
Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2008 10:12 pm
From 20/20 Anchor John Stossel:

"... Anyone with a computer can find the name and address of released sex offenders ....
What if two kids agree to fool around with each other? ...

The registry now includes kids as young as 10 to 14 years old.
They will be known forever as sex offenders.
Do they belong on the list among serial rapists and others
who are truly threats to others? ...


Another boy is on the registry because when he was 13 years old,
his 9-year-old sister accused him of touching her. Even though now
she says she was lying, he cannot get off the registry. ... "
[ excerpted and hi lit by David ]

Is OK to put a 10 year old on a sexual offenders' list for life ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,300 • Replies: 16
No top replies

 
roger
 
  1  
Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:09 am
I really don't think so, unless there were something really exceptional about the particular circumstances. My opinion requires a bit of judgement, which is kind of rare, but I don't think there is a simple answer that fits everyone of that age.
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 12:50 am
Re: 20/20: OK to put 10 Year Old on Sex Pervert List For Lif
OmSigDAVID wrote:
From 20/20 Anchor John Stossel:

"... Anyone with a computer can find the name and address of released sex offenders ....
What if two kids agree to fool around with each other? ...

The registry now includes kids as young as 10 to 14 years old.
They will be known forever as sex offenders.
Do they belong on the list among serial rapists and others
who are truly threats to others? ...


Another boy is on the registry because when he was 13 years old,
his 9-year-old sister accused him of touching her. Even though now
she says she was lying, he cannot get off the registry. ... "
[ excerpted and hi lit by David ]

Is OK to put a 10 year old on a sexual offenders' list for life ?



a. Is this anchor accurate in what he reported? Many media stories about complex issues are highly inaccurate.


b. No.
0 Replies
 
dadpad
 
  1  
Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 01:33 am
I do not believe minors should be listed.

Having their name and address available could make them targets for pedophiles.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:06 am
Re: 20/20: OK to put 10 Year Old on Sex Pervert List For Lif
dlowan wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
From 20/20 Anchor John Stossel:

"... Anyone with a computer can find the name and address of released sex offenders ....
What if two kids agree to fool around with each other? ...

The registry now includes kids as young as 10 to 14 years old.
They will be known forever as sex offenders.
Do they belong on the list among serial rapists and others
who are truly threats to others? ...


Another boy is on the registry because when he was 13 years old,
his 9-year-old sister accused him of touching her. Even though now
she says she was lying, he cannot get off the registry. ... "
[ excerpted and hi lit by David ]

Is OK to put a 10 year old on a sexual offenders' list for life ?



a. Is this anchor accurate in what he reported? Many media stories about complex issues are highly inaccurate.


b. No.

Well, his show is on Friday nite.
C what u think.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Fri 14 Mar, 2008 02:11 am
dadpad wrote:
I do not believe minors should be listed.

Having their name and address available could make them targets for pedophiles.

Agreed.

I surmise that he is suggesting, in essence,
that if 2 children in the neighborhood play " doctor "
with one another, thay can both end up on the list for life,
branded for everyone with a computer for ever.

I don 't think that 's a good idea.

Is THAT Y we created government on the North American Continent ?
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 05:14 am
Re: 20/20: OK to put 10 Year Old on Sex Pervert List For Lif
OmSigDAVID wrote:
dlowan wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
From 20/20 Anchor John Stossel:

"... Anyone with a computer can find the name and address of released sex offenders ....
What if two kids agree to fool around with each other? ...

The registry now includes kids as young as 10 to 14 years old.
They will be known forever as sex offenders.
Do they belong on the list among serial rapists and others
who are truly threats to others? ...


Another boy is on the registry because when he was 13 years old,
his 9-year-old sister accused him of touching her. Even though now
she says she was lying, he cannot get off the registry. ... "
[ excerpted and hi lit by David ]

Is OK to put a 10 year old on a sexual offenders' list for life ?



a. Is this anchor accurate in what he reported? Many media stories about complex issues are highly inaccurate.


b. No.

Well, his show is on Friday nite.
C what u think.


I do not live in the USA.


What evidence did he present for the story, and have you checked this evidence for accuracy?
0 Replies
 
agrote
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
The list shouldn't be available to the public; the risk of vigilante attacks is too high.

If it could only be accessed by the police, then I don't suppose it would matter much if 10 year olds were on it.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:22 pm
roger wrote:
I really don't think so, unless there were something really exceptional about the particular circumstances.
My opinion requires a bit of judgement, which is kind of rare,
but I don't think there is a simple answer that fits everyone of that age.

I deem it interesting,
that if a ten year old child
were convicted of robbery or murder,
his criminal record wud be sealed, for life.

I am under the impression that if he is merely ACCUSED of TOUCHING
another person, then he can be put on the sexual pervert 's list for the rest of his life,
and if the ACCUSER later admits lying about the alleged touching,
even so, he cannot get off the list. I think he stays on it, even AFTER he is dead.
( Admittedly, I did not take the time or trouble to research this. )

Does this tell us anything about how dangerous an entity we deal with
in GOVERNMENT ???

We shud have a vote every few years as to whether
we wish to continue having a GOVERNMENT or not,
if only to keep the damned thing scared and appropriately respectful of its owners, the citizens.

Keeping a government, is like juggling sticks of dynamite; damned risky.
If u doubt that,
ask the older citizens of Russia, Germany, Austria, or maybe Cambodia.


David
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:30 pm
agrote wrote:
The list shouldn't be available to the public;
the risk of vigilante attacks is too high.

Yeah.

On the show, thay showed a mother ( ex-mother )
whose 18 year old son had sexual intercourse with his teeenaged
girlfriend ( hard to believe, right ?? ). He was put on the list.

A self-appointed vigilante, a stranger, found him on the computer list,
went to his address, and brought his life to a quick end.

The decedent 's mother was not entirely satisfied with that.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:38 pm
Not only should kids not be on a publicly available sex offender list, nor should anyone else with the possible exception of those still under the direction of the department of corrections. We have one state that is currently trying to make kissing a kid in an inappropriate way a sex crime that would put the adult on a sex crime list for life. This is undue punishment, does not serve justice in any way, and there is not the slightest reason to believe the harsh retribution towards offenders that are found out will have any impact on the sex crime rate. We have 17 year old guys having consensual sex with their 16 year old GF and being thus put on a sex crime list for life, which is insane......America society is completely dysfunctional when it comes to sex.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:43 pm
Has anyone noticed that,
as time passes, America seems less and less free ?

The answer to every problem is to put another chain on the citizens,
until any movement is prevented
and thay fall from the wate of the chains.
0 Replies
 
hawkeye10
 
  1  
Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 10:56 pm
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Has anyone noticed that,
as time passes, America seems less and less free ?
.


Of Course, it has been obvious since the early eighties. Until Americans decide in mass that we will no longer trade freedom for the promise of safety the crooks have us by the balls.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 01:12 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Not only should kids not be on a publicly available sex offender list, nor should anyone else with the possible exception of those still under the direction of the department of corrections. We have one state that is currently trying to make kissing a kid in an inappropriate way a sex crime that would put the adult on a sex crime list for life. This is undue punishment, does not serve justice in any way, and there is not the slightest reason to believe the harsh retribution towards offenders that are found out will have any impact on the sex crime rate. We have 17 year old guys having consensual sex with their 16 year old GF and being thus put on a sex crime list for life, which is insane......America
society is completely dysfunctional when it comes to sex.

I wish I cud disagree with u.
Some folks attribute that to Puritanical influences
in the origins of our nation.

I have genuine and sincere skepticism
that when government was established here
after the Hanoverian Dynasty was thrown out,
that the Founders intended government to HAVE jurisdiction
to create and maintain such a list.

I understand that in at least one state ( I don 't remember which )
as a condition of release from prison, an ex-con on the list must
march thru out the neighborhood in which he or she will reside,
ringing all the doorbells and telling everyone who responds
that he or she is a sexual pervert, citing to his conviction as proof thereof.

Imagine how he must feel if he were INNOCENT of the offense.
There were 2 brothers on TV who told of social workers and police applying pressure
to them to testify against their parents, as to sexual perversities inflicted upon them.
However, in time, children grow up.
As adults, thay blamed the offending police for coercing false testimony,
but to no avail. If their Mom or Dad were eventually released from prison,
she or he wud be condemned to that ignominious promenade, if thay live in that state.
In my opinion, that is violative of the 8th Amendment 's immunity
from cruel n unusual punishments.


I assume that no one on this forum is in this predicament,
but problems of this nature ( i.e., false accusation ) can manifest as abruptly
and unexpectedly as a quarrel with one 's neighbor resulting in fingerpointing.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 01:14 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
Has anyone noticed that,
as time passes, America seems less and less free ?
.


Of Course, it has been obvious since the early eighties.
Until Americans decide in mass that we will no longer trade freedom
for the promise of safety the crooks have us by the balls.

Your point is well taken.
I 'll stipulate to that.

David
0 Replies
 
agrote
 
  1  
Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 03:40 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
Not only should kids not be on a publicly available sex offender list, nor should anyone else with the possible exception of those still under the direction of the department of corrections. We have one state that is currently trying to make kissing a kid in an inappropriate way a sex crime that would put the adult on a sex crime list for life. This is undue punishment, does not serve justice in any way, and there is not the slightest reason to believe the harsh retribution towards offenders that are found out will have any impact on the sex crime rate. We have 17 year old guys having consensual sex with their 16 year old GF and being thus put on a sex crime list for life, which is insane......America society is completely dysfunctional when it comes to sex.


I completely agree.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Mon 31 Mar, 2008 06:24 pm
agrote wrote:
hawkeye10 wrote:
Not only should kids not be on a publicly available sex offender list, nor should anyone else with the possible exception of those still under the direction of the department of corrections. We have one state that is currently trying to make kissing a kid in an inappropriate way a sex crime that would put the adult on a sex crime list for life. This is undue punishment, does not serve justice in any way, and there is not the slightest reason to believe the harsh retribution towards offenders that are found out will have any impact on the sex crime rate. We have 17 year old guys having consensual sex with their 16 year old GF and being thus put on a sex crime list for life, which is insane......America society is completely dysfunctional when it comes to sex.


I completely agree.

Still, it can happen to YOUR kid,
if he is so injudicious as to " play doctor " with his friend.

The politicians don 't seem to be about to change anything.








[size=7]`[/size]
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » 20/20: OK to put 10 Year Old on Sex Pervert List For Life ?
Copyright © 2021 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/23/2021 at 03:50:48