I don't want to lop off my dogs balls!

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:15 am
Darn, you actually inspired me to take a picture of her, as I haven't taken a picture of her since the kitten pics and videos you saw on my blog, but she's too playful and kept coming too close to me to check out the flashing thing while I backpedaled across the whole house trying to get a picture.

So I now have 10 fuzzy pictures of her right in the camera trying to figure it out. Here are the only two that show a cat (as opposed to a blurry white thing):

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/757/img1759fd5.jpg

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4951/img1765ie1.jpg

But I did notice something, she really doesn't look that Siamese anymore. She's a bit fuller and furrier these days. Her eyes are closed due to the flash, but they are bright blue of course.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 01:40 am
As if on cue she's being extra playful right now. Following me around and talking and jumping on Harry's back.

Sometimes when I'm lying on the couch working she'll come up behind me on the back of the couch and tap me on the head very lightly. Scared the heck out of me the first time but she does it to get me to play or talk with her.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 03:17 am
She IS cute.....looks like a seal point?

No way she's Siamese...way too cobby and fluffy...but way prettier (by my lights) than I had thought.

She certainly appeals to me more than the Himalayan colourpoints we see here.

She's smiling beautifully in the top shot.....love cat "smiles"...

Apparently, breeding wise, the doll faces were an intermediate stage between the Siamese and the full Persians (they just get called long hairs here) with Himalayan points. To my mind, they are a much nicer looking cat than the squashed in faces ones. They seem to have become their own breed in some places, since they seem to be bred especially NOT to have the squashed faces.

Reading more, the Himalayans are said to have a more Siamese-like temperament than their non-Himalayan long-hair cousins. I do wonder if the doll-faces are more S-like because they have not been bred back to the normal long-hair as much? It seems they have a sweeter, softer and less intense personality than the Siamese, but are more playful and affectionate than the normal fluffy bugger.

I love the full-on, over the top, passionate Siamese nature....but I can see the appeal of a softened version.

I have had a lilac....he was an absolute delight, but I will be going back to full seals from now on....the darker the point, the more "Siamese" the personality seems to be, and the tougher, mentally and physically, the cat.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:09 am
dlowan wrote:
She IS cute.....looks like a seal point?

Less and less every day, but when she was younger she did.

Quote:

No way she's Siamese...way too cobby and fluffy...but way prettier (by my lights) than I had thought.

Yeah, I like how she looks now but she'll prolly get too fluffy for my tastes (I've never liked the Persians which is a testament to how fun this cat has been). Siamese are a bit too thin for my tastes but I have never liked fluffy cats.

Quote:

Apparently, breeding wise, the doll faces were an intermediate stage between the Siamese and the full Persians (they just get called long hairs here) with Himalayan points. To my mind, they are a much nicer looking cat than the squashed in faces ones. They seem to have become their own breed in some places, since they seem to be bred especially NOT to have the squashed faces.

I'm no fan of the squashed face breeding, I think it's ugly and unhealthy (breathing problems).

Quote:
I do wonder if the doll-faces are more S-like because they have not been bred back to the normal long-hair as much?

So do I, thing is, Fiona never really looked like the doll-face Himmys that I see pictures of. She has even more of a Siamese looking face and I do wonder if that makes her more "S-like" in personality.

Quote:
It seems they have a sweeter, softer and less intense personality than the Siamese, but are more playful and affectionate than the normal fluffy bugger.

So far Fiona seems like a less hyper Siamese to me. Other than being a bit more comfortable on her own, she acts like a Siamese with bigger nap times.

Quote:

I love the full-on, over the top, passionate Siamese nature....but I can see the appeal of a softened version.

Come to think of it, the fact that I work from home may be a big part of why I appreciate the longer naps and solitary exploration.

Quote:

I have had a lilac....he was an absolute delight, but I will be going back to full seals from now on....the darker the point, the more "Siamese" the personality seems to be, and the tougher, mentally and physically, the cat.

Never knew that but it seems to make sense. I think, but am not sure, the Seals were the original color and the others bred in, which would lend credence to the theory.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 10:51 am
Robert Gentel wrote:

Never knew that but it seems to make sense. I think, but am not sure, the Seals were the original color and the others bred in, which would lend credence to the theory.

Seals were the original. I find them smarter, too.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:17 pm
CowDoc wrote:
I agree with Robert. However, for dlowan's benefit, I feel compelled to point out that cats - at least the queens - reach puberty by the time of year as well as by age. Cats are seasonally spontaneously polyestrus, which means that they pop in and out of heat early in the spring. At my latitude of 45 degrees north, that usually means they start in late January or early February. Interestingly, I began to notice more than twenty-five years ago that they tended to predict the onset of spring pretty damned accurately. The earlier they came into heat, the earlier spring arrived. I started planting my greenhouse according to the hot cats, and I quit getting my transplants frozen. Who needs wooly bear caterpillars when you get to spay cats every day? And by the way, patiodog, I never noticed complications from castrations of older dogs, even when prostate hyperplasia or testicular tumors were the reason for the procedure.

I saw a couple of older guys who got neutered at a shelter I used to work at (without scrotal ablation) who had issues with prolonged healing following seroma formation after surgery. Generally, though, surgical technique there was pretty poor. And while I've been on rotations I've seen one lacerated urethra get referred and another old guy who'd been castrated following BPH who'd developed an abscess and then had some peritonitis issues. Granted, the patients who go through our hospital are definitely the exceptions -- but I've yet to see complications from a juvenile castration, even though that's the vast majority of animals who get done.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 06:18 pm
Cute cat, RG.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 07:20 pm
patiodog wrote:
Cute cat, RG.

I think I know the ideal cat for Robert (should he ever choose another cat)....the Burmese, with Siamese colouring...I can't recall what that colouring is called:

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/images/burmese%20kittens.jpg

Thicker than the Siamese, shorthair.....softer temperament than the Siamese, but just as bright and affectionate.

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/burmese-cat-description.htm
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 09:23 pm
That amazes me, patiodog. I don't know how you could lacerate a urethra during castration if you tried to!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 08:18 am
Ya got me, cowdoc. It did look like the took pretty ... aggressive margins on the scrotum.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:58 pm
Poor Harry. He lost his balls on Monday and still doesn't wanna be friends. He just hides under the couch all day every day and each time we get him out to give him his medicine he starts to avoid us more.

I hope that as he heals, he becomes happy again. Because he's miserable right now and scared of everyone. Hopefully his personality will come back.

Now I have to try to figure out how to catch the cat and give her her medicine.... she's avoiding us as well.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:02 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
Poor Harry. He lost his balls on Monday and still doesn't wanna be friends. He just hides under the couch all day every day and each time we get him out to give him his medicine he starts to avoid us more.

I hope that as he heals, he becomes happy again. Because he's miserable right now and scared of everyone. Hopefully his personality will come back.

Now I have to try to figure out how to catch the cat and give her her medicine.... she's avoiding us as well.

Smart little fella, isn't he?

My animals have borne no grudge against me, and have blamed the vet, if they take umbrage at anyone, which has been infrequent.

I wonder if having it done later meant he was better able to figure out who was to blame?

I am sure he'll forgive...still, that is sad.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:07 pm
He'll forgive. He's not mad at us, and wags his tail under the couch when we try to reach him but that he scuttles away shows he's not comfortable with us even though he likes us. Somehow it's sadder to see him this way.

But today he showed a good sign. We'd tried to lure him out from the couch a few times pretending we were going out the door, as he always tries to join us. But he knew my girlfriend wasn't ready to go out and didn't fall for it.

When we did get ready and were heading out he came out for the first time and insisted on going for a ride. We took him along (we were picking up a friend who was coming over) but when we came back he began hiding again. In any case, it was nice to have him back for a bit.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 10:10 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
He'll forgive. He's not mad at us, and wags his tail under the couch when we try to reach him but that he scuttles away shows he's not comfortable with us even though he likes us. Somehow it's sadder to see him this way.

But today he showed a good sign. We'd tried to lure him out from the couch a few times pretending we were going out the door, as he always tries to join us. But he knew my girlfriend wasn't ready to go out and didn't fall for it.

When we did get ready and were heading out he came out for the first time and insisted on going for a ride. We took him along (we were picking up a friend who was coming over) but when we came back he began hiding again. In any case, it was nice to have him back for a bit.

Oh dear.....a trauma victim...he's lost his faith that the world is a good place.

Nemmind...he had a firm foundation for trust, and it is a single incident trauma, and he's well within the "it's normal to show symptoms" window...his prognosis is good.

:wink:

He's smart!!! Not being able to deceive him with fake going out feints is way cool!!!

(Edit: Second own petard hoist. "Fake feints" is redundant. Dementing, that's what it is.)
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:38 pm
He's not that smart. Today he made a deal with us to be friends again if we don't lop off his balls when they grow back (he doesn't know).

Anywho, glad he's back to being himself.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:52 pm
Robert Gentel wrote:
He's not that smart. Today he made a deal with us to be friends again if we don't lop off his balls when they grow back (he doesn't know).

Anywho, glad he's back to being himself.

Glad indeed.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:02 pm
What a good boy!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:
What a good boy!

He is if'n he stops marking in the house!!!!

Perhaps he has learnt his lesson......
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:10 pm
Have you got a way to make a nice cool/cold spot for Harry to spread out in your place? it'll help bring the Harry back if he can chill his warm spots.
0 Replies