I don't want to lop off my dogs balls!

cyphercat

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:46 pm
ARRRGH.

*incoherent sputtering*
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 01:49 pm
Oh, hey! I just realized-- this whole deal perfectly exemplifies the quote in my sig line!

sigh
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:13 pm
hmm...
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 02:41 pm
I've actually been on the fence about spaying my cat.

She's lovely as is. No real problems. As she is strictly an indoor cat, and has had some trauma in her young life already so becoming even a semi-outdoor cat is a challenge, it will be rare to nil that she will be encountering non-neutured male cats.

She was a neglected cat and so was never even considered for spaying earlier. They didn't even take her to a vet; Period!

The main drawback and reason I consider the spaying now in her case is what Cowdoc mentioned.

If it can prolong her life and prevent complications in the future, that is a big reason to consider it.

But a cat ain't a dog...never had a dog that wasn't adopted with the neuturing complete already!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:47 pm
Dag-- if the "hmm" was directed at me, sorry for being a bit inflammatory. Embarrassed I just get het up about this. So many millions of cats and dogs put to sleep every year and people still can't just get their damn pets fixed because "it's too mean!" ...it's somehow *not* mean to add to the number of animals getting put down, I suppose...it just burns me up. Sorry if I offended you, though.

Mushy (or flushy, as I said I was going to call you! Wink ), only problem with that is how determined cats get to escape from the house when they're in heat...Female cats turn VERY weird when they get in heat!! (It's quite unpleasant to be around, also) --I've had more than one friend with an exclusively indoor cat who had the same idea you do, but had no idea how fixated the cat would get on getting out, and the cats always managed it in the end. Got a friend with a litter right now, actually, that happened that way...
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:55 pm
oh, i didn't think it was inflammatory, i just didn't get it whatsoever.

as with many things, i believe it depends mostly on the owner. if you don't have your dog running around freely without your supervision, he's not going to contribute to a pool of unwanted puppies. I believe that neutering, as many other things, are way exaggerated, or overdone might be a better word, in the u.s.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 09:57 pm
...and just to clarify...i wouldn't tell anyone to not do it....it's just that i will not do it.

similar to abortion: i will defend it till my last dying breath... but i myself would not ever do it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Mar, 2008 11:14 pm
I've linked this video on A2K before but it seems appropriate.

John Williamson: Bill the cat

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=DkLwFfAwbts
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 08:03 am
lol.

Yeah, I like Flushy better. Smile

And oh man, my cat IS in heat right now. And yes it's driving me nuts.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 02:01 pm
mushypancakes wrote:

And oh man, my cat IS in heat right now. And yes it's driving me nuts.
Ugh! You have my sympathy--all that writhing and moaning...it's like late-night cable or something... Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 16 Mar, 2008 02:17 pm
I know cats better than dogs, mushypancakes. I can't see how anyone can live with an unneutered or spayed cat, unless they just turn it loose to breed at will. If you do, you end up with lots of cute kittens, and a cat with a much lower life expectancy.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
Neutering is not like a vasectomy. However, ejaculate - other than the sperm component - is produced in the seminal vesicles and prostate, rather than in the testes. The urge to copulate is stimulated by testosterone, but that hormone is produced in other glands as well, notably the adrenals. The act itself is governed by the autonomic nervous system, rather that the endocrine. That explains why neutered males of all mammalian species can still copulate, and further defines the "proud-cut" gelding. Does that make more sense?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 08:17 am
CowDoc wrote:
Neutering is not like a vasectomy. However, ejaculate - other than the sperm component - is produced in the seminal vesicles and prostate, rather than in the testes. The urge to copulate is stimulated by testosterone, but that hormone is produced in other glands as well, notably the adrenals. The act itself is governed by the autonomic nervous system, rather that the endocrine. That explains why neutered males of all mammalian species can still copulate, and further defines the "proud-cut" gelding. Does that make more sense?

You're a man who knows his balls, aren't you?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:06 am
CowDoc wrote:

does that mean if I get castrated I can live to be 100 but still have sex? Not a bad deal...
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:43 am
dlowan wrote:
CowDoc wrote:

Did you know spayed or neutered rabbits live longer and behave better than those whose genitals are unaltered?

Fact.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 09:46 am
well we all know dlowan still has huge balls... Laughing
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 10:03 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You'd better duck.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 10:05 am
I'm a bear. we eat rabbits.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 10:12 am
http://www.lariat.org/AtTheMovies/dvd/popcorn.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Mar, 2008 03:20 pm
Gargamel wrote:
dlowan wrote:
CowDoc wrote:

Did you know spayed or neutered rabbits live longer and behave better than those whose genitals are unaltered?

Fact.

My mother taught me perfect manners, thank you.

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Don't be ridiculous.....I have all I need.....normal gonads, kept on the INSIDE where they belong......a brain, a heart, and assorted WMD.

Gargamel wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You'd better duck.

Can we PLEASE not embroil the ducks in all this? Rolling Eyes

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I'm a bear. we eat rabbits.

And I shoot bears if they even LOOK like they might be THINKING about eating me.
0 Replies