New Honda runs on natural gas

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 06:26 pm
What do you all think? It costs more to buy, but will cost 1/3 less to run. And, you can fill it from your home gas line!

New Honda

Quote:
The GX will cost about one-third less to operate than a car that runs on gasoline and will be much better for the environment, Boyd said. It will have a driving range of about 200 miles, about half of a regular Civic.

On average, a car with a natural gas-powered internal-combustion engine emits 87 percent less nitrogen oxide, 70 percent less carbon monoxide and 25 less carbon dioxide than a car with an engine that uses gasoline.

Quote:
To make the GX more appealing to consumers, Honda will sell for $2,000 an appliance that allows owners to fill their tanks with natural gas from their homes.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,864 • Replies: 8
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:35 pm
Huh. Cool.

As a brief side note (before any notes on the main point have been added) our Civic was running at roughly 50 miles to the gallon on our recent drive across the country (in ideal conditions, driving for twelve hours at a time, behind a truck that couldn't exceed 70 mph).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:38 pm
Wow! 50! I get around 30 in town in my civic.

The article says they've been putting a few thousand of these cars out every year for several years now.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:42 pm
No reason not to, except that fueling up is a bit of a hassle, especially if you stray from your home.

(Yep, 50. I couldn't believe it myself -- usually it's only 32 to 36 or so...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 07:43 pm
Your honda runs better than mine.

Yeah, I wonder where you can fill up. You need to buy a $2k device to allow you to fill up from your home.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 08:22 pm
$3K more for the NG powered car and then another $2K for the adapter and then a few $$ more for someone to come and hook the adapter up. Ugh! I HATE that!

Unfortunately, that $5K+ difference up front is gonna kill their sales. Add on the additional interest on the $3K in the loan and the reduced operating costs start to diminish too. People will look at the up-front costs and shy away from it.

I REALLY wish someone would come out with a NG powered car at the same price the matching gasoline powered car goes for. That would give people a real alternative with no excuses.

I had a propane power Ford F-150 back in the late 1980s and I LOVED it! I had bought it used from a propane dealer but it ran way clean. The oil was still clean after running it for 5,000 miles. Much more efficient.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 11:09 am
What kind of range did it have? Propane's a little bulky, ain't it?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 12:24 pm
My previous employer kept the entire fleet of pickups on propane. Actually, it was a dual use conversion, so they could use gasoline, which was recommended from time to time. We had bulk propane tanks in the yard and total operating costs were lower, probably because we were skating by without state and federal taxes on the fuel. Each truck had a truck tool box and a propane tank in the bed, which almost entirely defeated the purpose of having a pickup truck. Natural gas requires higher pressure to be liquified, so I would expect the tanks to be heavier. They did run cleaner.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2003 02:52 pm
patio - Mine had the dual fuel setup as roger described. I didn't have a toolbox in the bed but there was a 100 lb LP gas tank that straddled the front of the bed as a cross-bed toolbox would. It was a long bed F-150 so with the tank in it it had the useable space of a short bed.

If I filled the 100lb tank I could run for about 900 miles before I'd run out of propane - slightly under 3x the range of the standard 25 gal. gasoline tank.
0 Replies