My nifty doohickey

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 04:58 pm
So I bought this nifty doohickey at an estate sale today. I bought it because i REALLY need things to store other things in.

My doohickey is a series of small wooden boxes that stack atop one another. Together they look sort of like an old card cataloge. Each box is labeled with an exotic location "Bermuda", "Asia", "Pacific", "Africa"....

The inside of each box is divided into small sturdy, numbered slots that you would slip something into.

Each individual box is about 10x13x3. (It isn't here yet or I would measure it and take a photo of it and try to post it from my new computer that has no good photo program on it yet.)

Do you care to guess what my doohickey was originally used for?

Or, would you care to share any cool ways you've devised to store things when all of your walls are windows?

I'm on a storage/organizing bender (maybe because I don't have a decent photo program on my computer).

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,341 • Replies: 27
No top replies

mac11

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 06:32 pm
boomer, I'm having a little trouble envisioning your doohickey. If it were a card catalog, would the cards be 10x3 cards?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 06:51 pm
Okay - it's here now so I measured.

Each box is 13x17.5x3. The box is divided into 300 numbered spaces.

Mr. B guess' it is a file for slides like you might use in a history class. This could very well be true as the sale was directly across the street from Reed College and the house was left to the school so I'm supposing it was a professor who lived there.

anyway, I think he could be right but it wouldn't be the traditional 35mm mounted slides as each space is wider than it is high.

I bought it to store papers so I'll have to rip the numbered guts out of the drawers I suppose. "Oh what a shame" says Mr. B, and it is. But I'm tired of having paper, paper, paper everywhere and art supplies every, every, everywhere so it has to be done.

It's a cool, funky old thing that suits me just fine. I would have spent twice as much on less cool storage elsewhere.

By showing up late to pick up our stuff we also scored a 19th century armoire for less than half of what they were asking for it this morning!!!

I love estate sales.

I'll try to get a photo posted of my doohickey.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:05 pm
I love faux antique stores.

I have a cabinet with, uh, two vertical rows of (4) approx 6" deep x 9" wide drawers, thus totalling eight, and two stacked side doors opening for tallish stuff, out of some brazilian wood, according to the woman at the store. $90.00, I think it was. I use it for postcards, big photos, camera storage, some albums. Also, to hide my fireplace, which I have no intention of lighting, given the construction here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:07 pm
So, boom, all your boxes are separate? And stack into a Doohickey?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 07:22 pm
mailboxes?

waiting to see the photo. post the photo of th armoire, too, pretty please.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:00 pm
Perhaps older than 35mm slides? Maybe stereotype cards?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:06 pm
I love estate sales. I once got a beautiful antique hutch that came originally from Panama - I still have it.

Boomer, does it look similar to this?

http://www.lindendynasty.com/images/cabinets/6ACA109_full.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 08:24 pm
I wish it looked like that CJane!

This is a smallish doohickey. The drawers are individual but stack atop one another with fitted grooves. There is a stand which raises them about 10 inches off the floor. So... 9 drawers, each 3 inches deep, plus the stand = just over 3 feet tall.

It was only $45.00.

Funny you should say "mail", dag as I also bought a chest of drawers ($20) mostly based on the lovely "Mail" placque on the second drawer.

We will pick up the armoire tomorrow. It is marked as being from Wales. Mr. B really fell in love with it when we went to pick up my cheap stuff. This morning it was marked at $1,400. This afternoon it was marked down to $900. Mr. B said "go in and offer them $600 cash" and, having had a relaxing day and a glass of wine down the hatch, I did and they said "okay".

That means it is probably worth about $400.

But I'll tell you what, after cruising Craigslist and the used furniture stores and the thrift shops and the whatever trying to furnish this house everything felt like a great deal at this sale.

I used to love Craigslist but now everyone thinks their "mid-century" stuff should net a fortune.

Our new old house is difficult. We don't have much wall space but we have lots of space. Picking furniture has been really, really hard.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 09:15 pm
Slides sound like a good guess. Maybe, instead of being separate from one another, they were in some sort of cartridge. I'm thinking of something like the revolving slide carrier that mounted to a projector, only an earlier, rectangular cartridge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:18 pm
Wasn't some film at 2 1/2"? or is that my imagination..
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 11:47 pm
I see your nifty doohicky, and raise you a cool whatchamacallit.

I shall hold my awesome thingamajig in reserve.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:02 am
Like I said, I currently can't edit photos so I hope this works okay...

The doohickey:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/IMGP1652.jpg

The interior:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/IMGP1653.jpg
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:13 am
oooh, that's a pretty pretty doohickey. my dad has one box like that for diapositives (slides?). must've been something of the sort. maybe daguerotypes even, depending on how old it is.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:16 am
That's cool!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:19 am
littlek wrote:
That's cool!

agreed
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:21 am
Yes it is pretty. You really can spruce it up with new hinges and maybe
some paint, like here..

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/462/picture1ia6.png
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:28 am
CalamityJane wrote:
I love estate sales. I once got a beautiful antique hutch that came originally from Panama - I still have it.

Boomer, does it look similar to this?

http://www.lindendynasty.com/images/cabinets/6ACA109_full.jpg

Cool !!

I picked up a huge old time index card file cabinet a few years ago.
It looks just like this one, but it is half the width and twice the height.
It has 3 shelves that pull out from the middle.

http://www.metroretrofurniture.com/images/cabinet/j49libraryindexfilecabinet02.jpg

I currently keep small H2O system repair parts in it Very Happy
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 12:39 pm
That looks very nice H20-Man. I hope you have labeled your cabinet,
otherwise it would be pretty time consuming to find the stuff.

We just recently bought a small cabinet for all the CDs and DVDs...

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/5673/img4825hb5.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 01:41 pm
Maybe for holding microscope slides? (Little pieces of glass with stuff on them.)
0 Replies