Post a movie that changed your life!!!

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:45 pm
Not good movies.
Not movies with a boob shot, but life altering movies...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,214 • Replies: 23
No top replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:47 pm
Pay It forward. One of the most humbling and inspiring movies I have ever seen.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:51 pm
A documentary called "The Corporation". Changed the way I looked at the American system of government and Capitalism.

Close runner up: "Who Killed The Electric Car" - made me realize how little power people have over their lives and how much they are influenced by marketing.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:51 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Pay It forward. One of the most humbling and inspiring movies I have ever seen.

You know, I am ashamed to say that Kevin Spacey is my second favorite actor and I have yet to see that movie. Thx for the post.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:53 pm
Green Witch wrote:
A documentary called "The Corporation". Changed the way I looked at the American system of government and Capitalism.

Close runner up: "Who Killed The Electric Car" - made me realize how little power people have over their lives and how much they are influenced by marketing.

I will have to look those up. Never seen them.
Have you seen "No end in sight"??
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 12:54 pm
jasonrest wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

No, but I do know about it and have seen long clips. I think at this point it would be too depressing to watch, maybe when we have regime change in Washington I will be able to deal with it.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:00 pm
Green Witch wrote:
jasonrest wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

No, but I do know about it and have seen long clips. I think at this point it would be too depressing to watch, maybe when we have regime change in Washington I will be able to deal with it.

I enjoyed the Micheal Moore one and some others but the chronological flow of "No end in Sight" was Flawless. I promise to watch "The Corporation" and the other if you at a later date when Obama is in office, will watch this film.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:06 pm
Sure, I'll watch it. I'm a Netflix member, they seem to have ever documentary know to humankind. I think you'll like The Corporation, it's very thought provoking.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 8 Mar, 2008 01:43 pm
Well, this movie didn't change my life, but I think it should be seen by
anyone who is pro death penalty.

The life of David Gale

SYNOPSIS
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 09:45 am
Oh that was an excellent movie Calamity. I nearly fell out of my chair at the ending of it. Talk about make you think about the death penalty. And, of course, Kevin Spacey is my favorite actor so that added to the quality of the movie. I think I am gonna watch this one again. So glad you brought that up.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:12 am
It indeed was an excellent movie, Arella. I just don't know why the movie
didn't receive more publicity. Such an excellent theme.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:31 am
BBB
The military's sexual disease prevention films should be scary enough to change anyone's life.

BBB
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:36 am
My movie would be "Good Will Hunting".
I can't share everything but there were days of reflection after seeing it for the first time. I wanted to go to the NBA like most young African Americans but that's not the talent that was given to me.

Of course, just because a talent wasn't served on a silver platter, doesn't mean that one cannot obtain it but, in some cases it just wasn't meant for you, and your calling lies elsewhere, and "YES" you do owe it to yourself and those that thought enough of you, to bestow such a gift, to use it.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:39 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The military's sexual disease prevention films should be scary enough to change anyone's life.

BBB

Laughing Ya know when I got back from deployment in November, we watched video after video filled with the most disturbing pictures of men and women suffering from STD's.

A penis can be obvious in most situations but there were some pictures so bad that you could not tell if it was a Vagina or a spoiled sloppy Joe.
10 more months and I'm finished!

How do you know about these films?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:49 am
Geez it depends upon the time of my life---when I was young--teenager I'd have to say something like "Cool Hand Luke" but I was also influences heavily by Krubic "Dr Strangelove", "2001", and "Clockwork Orange", as I got older and suffered a few more little unpleasant experiences movies with influence included "Taxi Driver", "The Deer Hunter", "Apocalypse Now", "Gardens of Stone." But not to be completely negative, I have also been influenced by Mel Brooks, particularly "Blazing Saddles" and "Young Frankenstein".

The best influences--sometimes they're the oldest---"The Bicycle Thief", "Farenheit 451", "Citizen Kane", "M", "Metropolis" sometimes the newer "Into the Wild", "Rushmore". Right now I'm being influenced by one that's playing on TBS--"Chicken Run"

Rap
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 10:57 am
jasonrest wrote:

Great Movie, I can see how it would influence ones thinking--What did you think of "A Beautiful Mind"?

BTW if it is available look up a french movie on the life of Evariste Galoise, a biography of a true tragedy during turbulent times.

Rap
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:08 am
jasonrest wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

Laughing Ya know when I got back from deployment in November, we watched video after video filled with the most disturbing pictures of men and women suffering from STD's.

A penis can be obvious in most situations but there were some pictures so bad that you could not tell if it was a Vagina or a spoiled sloppy Joe.

I married two World War II veterans who told me about them.

BBB
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:14 am
raprap wrote:
jasonrest wrote:

Great Movie, I can see how it would influence ones thinking--What did you think of "A Beautiful Mind"?

BTW if it is available look up a french movie on the life of Evariste Galoise, a biography of a true tragedy during turbulent times.

Rap

"A beautiful Mind" was well done.
I think it emphasized more of the crazy in genius rather than the genius in genius. I'm sure they'll make a movie about Bobby Fischer and this time I hope it will actually be about him. Also, I hope that they concentrate more on his chess genius rather than his ummmm crazy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:16 am
I have seen many films that affirmed or was in synch with that which I already knew. Many have gone against my grain. None has really changed my outook.
0 Replies

jasonrest

Reply Sun 9 Mar, 2008 11:17 am
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
jasonrest wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

I married two World War II veterans who told me about them.

BBB

Yeah, they certainly will deter some but, only for a moment.
0 Replies