Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 06:58 pm
down-hill, cross-country, professional or bunny slopes, you name it. where do you go, what was your most favorite place ever, and, most importantly: post pictures if you got'em!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,086 • Replies: 27
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:10 pm
<snort>

I didn't see anything hard about it the morning I was left alone by skiing pals at Yosemite's Badger Pass - got some boots and skis and wandered around. Took a class in the afternoon, that was fun.

Next morning, took the T bar, fell shortly after getting off. Fell something like 23 times on the way down. I counted.

Now, I'll guess Badger Pass is not any kind of tricky ski area...

but I kept having to hear, at work, about skiing off the cornice and such and such skis, and yadda yadda. @#@#@#

that was in the era of big honking skis and unlined boots.
I never managed to get interested, re the effort to get there and throw my body around, splat.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:27 pm
I've had some interesting skiing experiences in Utah, and especially the one that took place at Redford's place. It involved breaking and entry, marijuana, and assault. Ultimately, and accidentally, the series of events of that fateful afternoon led me to a weekend of incarceration in a Salt Lake City jail.

Remind me to tell that tale some day.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:32 pm
Next time we see you.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:36 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I've had some interesting skiing experiences in Utah, and especially the one that took place at Redford's place. It involved breaking and entry, marijuana, and assault. Ultimately, and accidentally, the series of events of that fateful afternoon led me to a weekend of incarceration in a Salt Lake City jail.

Remind me to tell that tale some day.
Salt Lake City Jail? How mundane. You should try the jail in St George sometime.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
Haven't skiied for a decade. But I used to do Perisher Valley, Blue Cow & Smiggins Holes - I actually worked at Perisher Valley the year Blue Cow opened. Best skiing was Thredbo. Although skiing from Blue Cow to Perisher was a challenge.

I remember the first time I skiied moguls. Afterwards someone told me your meant to ski between them, not over them.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:40 pm
http://photos-364.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v190/153/5/697154364/n697154364_674412_8997.jpg

cross-country crawling
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 07:43 pm
hingehead wrote:
Haven't skiied for a decade. But I used to do Perisher Valley, Blue Cow & Smiggins Holes - I actually worked at Perisher Valley the year Blue Cow opened. Best skiing was Thredbo. Although skiing from Blue Cow to Perisher was a challenge.

I remember the first time I skiied moguls. Afterwards someone told me your meant to ski between them, not over them.

yes, between them. damn near impossible. went skiing this saturday, my back is hurting, my arms even more, pulled a shoulder out of its socket (that's what it feels like anyway), came back with a fever and hacking cough.

why do we do it? you pay to go up, then down, up, then down..like a hamster in a spinning wheel. yet i'll go again soon!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:04 pm
I spent too much time around orthopedic surgeons...

but that's not my excuse even though I posited it first. I was just too self-protective to do that, no doubt from a cosseted upbringing. Well, that and uninterested, but uninterest/laziness and risk assessment can work together.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:05 pm
(love the photo)
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:05 pm
Hey Dags, in your photo, you guys aren't going down backwards are you? How well I remember the ten finger scrape.

The best skiing was always in the worst weather - because there were less people out , particularly those pesky 6 year old that stem christie between your legs.

Obligatory South Park reference: pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza. fries. pizza.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:24 pm
Mt. Hood in Oregon was nice. Timberline was my favorite lodge.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 08:32 pm
http://photos-g.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v166/153/5/697154364/n697154364_532918_2261.jpg

Slovakia. Skiing as it should be. Sunny and non-bumpy!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:38 pm
I've never skiied.

Just snowboarded, 2 days over a weekend, about 4-5 years ago. I was like a toddler learning how to walk...start moving really fast, then BAM on my face, or BAM on my back, kept jamming my wrists, knocked the wind out of myself a couple times, and almost knocked myself out when I hit the back of my head on the ground very hard(no helmet). However I loved it, and would like to go again at some point.

I also took out a girl that was about 5-6 years old on the bunny hill, slid right into her legs. Good times.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:36 pm
i would try snowboarding again, on some bunny slope. i went to wachussett the last time, with much the same results as you. next time, i'll wear knee pads and a pillow on my ass, i was black and blue for weeks.

it was frustrating beyond belief, it would take about 3 minutes to ski down that trail. but it took me over 45 on a snowboard.gah. but once i more or less got it, i loved it. in the end i was going down in under 10 minutes.... probably because if i fell again, i'd die
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:44 pm
Loveland, Vail, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, A-Basin, Keystone, Mary Jane, Winter Park, Santa Fe, Snowbowl.

My favorite is probably Vail.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:46 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Loveland, Vail, Steamboat, Breckenridge, Copper Mountain, A-Basin, Keystone, Mary Jane, Winter Park, Santa Fe, Snowbowl.

Snowbowl in AZ in horrible.

I went to a lodge in Utah that was pretty great too. Outside of SLC.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:57 pm
maporsche wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Snowbowl in AZ in horrible.

Yes it is. But it's close.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 10:57 pm
Do you have T-Bars over there?

Talk about entrusting your life to a stranger - it seemed like every third t-bar was dragging some poor bugger up the hill by the by the ankle...

http://www.alsap.org/ClearySummit/BevinneMcCann_Cleary_1980s_Tbar.jpg
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 11:05 pm
hingehead wrote:
Do you have T-Bars over there?

We do, but I've never used one myself.
0 Replies