Christian Group Arrested for Praying Silently Gay Gathering

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:17 pm
I think posting the link is more than enough to start this thread.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=57607
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,853 • Replies: 32
No top replies

neologist

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:24 pm
Watching with interest.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:27 pm
This has nothing to do with the cause though, because there has been a constant and increasing in speed crack down on civil liberties in America. Anything that the authorities don't want to deal with they ban, classify as secret, seek legal injunctions against, and if all else fails try to lay a financial bill on those who "caused" the expense to the public authority for policing. Until the people are willing to stand up for freedom, not let that authorities scare us out of protecting our freedom by saying the word "security", we are screwed. The Constitution is null and void unless people demand that it be followed.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:38 pm
I don't think it has a thing to do with the constitution. And I think if more people were honest about it, they'd agree. It's about getting rid of Christianity in my opinion.

The police made it clear.

Quote:
"The female officer, she said, 'You're not going to cross the street. You're not going to enter the park and you're not going to share your religion with anybody in this park....
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 08:58 pm
Re: Christian Group Arrested for Praying Silently Gay Gather
Arella Mae wrote:

Considering the link is Worldnetdaily I decided to research a more, shall I say "unbiased" source. I found this Christian protesters fined for disrupting NY gay pride event. It seems that these Christians were found guilty of disorderly conduct for attempting to disrupt a Gay Pride festival by lying down in front of the event main stage after being ordered by the police to take there protest elsewhere. What they were found guilty of was disorderly conduct by a judge who found that their actions threatened public order.

In my opinion, the judge was correct, their right to wildly swing their arms in public was coming in contact with noses; consequently, the 'freedom of speech/religon' claim is fallacious. After all they were permitted to take their protest to a place where they could swing their arms wildly without creating a threat to others.

Rap
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:06 pm
raprap wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:

Considering the link is Worldnetdaily I decided to research a more, shall I say "unbiased" source. I found this Christian protesters fined for disrupting NY gay pride event. It seems that these Christians were found guilty of disorderly conduct for attempting to disrupt a Gay Pride festival by lying down in front of the event main stage after being ordered by the police to take there protest elsewhere. What they were found guilty of was disorderly conduct by a judge who found that their actions threatened public order.

In my opinion, the judge was correct, their right to wildly swing their arms in public was coming in contact with noses; consequently, the 'freedom of speech/religon' claim is fallacious. After all they were permitted to take their protest to a place where they could swing their arms wildly without creating a threat to others.

Rap

Worldnet looked a bit suss to me, but I didn't bother to look around it....is it a known right-wing or christian fundy propaganda site?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:17 pm
dlowan wrote:
Worldnet looked a bit suss to me, but I didn't bother to look around it....is it a known right-wing or christian fundy propaganda site?

I don't know about Christian fundamentalist---but worldnetdaily could be considered a right wingnut, with an emphasis on "nut" publication. In general I place it among several news services, right and left, that require constant corroboration on their reporting.

Rap
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 09:28 pm
If that is why they were arrested I have no problem with it. Thank you for posting that other article. It's always best to have the whole story.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 10:29 pm
Looks like a good arrest to me as well.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 11:03 pm
Clearly, these "Christians" forgot about Jesus' admonition to love they neighbour.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 05:06 am
Hmmm.... Mixed feelings.

On one hand I definately see how these individuals could cause civil disorder. I might go as far to guess that it was their sole intent. The parallel I would use is individuals waving ropes around at a black history event or people dressing up like nazis and walking around a Jewish event.

It seems like these individuals could have chosen any numerous ways and locations to pray. They choose the place based on the responce they wanted.

If they were given specific commands from police officials, they should have obeyed.

On the other hand, I think the idea of making examples of these assholes (and yes they were acting like assholes IMO) is a bit steep for me. I think this kind of attention is the kind of attention that people who want to sell some notion of a war on Christianity want.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 05:29 am
ArellaMae wrote:
I don't think it has a thing to do with the constitution. And I think if more people were honest about it, they'd agree. It's about getting rid of Christianity in my opinion.

I become very annoyed when I hear people talking about a "war on Christianity", or "getting rid of Christianity". There is NO war. The problem is, that for years, Christians have been the dominant force in the US. This is changing now. The US has become more diverse, and is now made up of people of varying religious beliefs and non-beliefs.

Social mores are changing too. Whereas Christian mores and traditions were accepted as a given, they are now being questioned.

People who have automatically assumed that they are the "top dogs" become upset when they realize that their status not as secure as they once believed. There ARE other, perfectly fine ways of living other than adhering to the tenets of Christianity.

No one is attempting to destroy Christianity. People simply want to run their lives as THEY see fit, whether it coincides with Christianity's idea of an appropriate life or not. Christianity can stand, side by side, with many other belief systems. They just can't run the show any more.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 06:46 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
No one is attempting to destroy Christianity. People simply want to run their lives as THEY see fit, whether it coincides with Christianity's idea of an appropriate life or not. Christianity can stand, side by side, with many other belief systems. They just can't run the show any more. [/color][/b]

The threat to Christianity is not from other religions, it is from an increasing refusal to identify with any religion in a meaningful way. Many are religion shoppers and are fair weather believers, many more swear off religions altogether in favor of a personal spiritualism. American Christianity is dieing, which is why you see the fundamentalism and the right wing political fanatics that we have had. It is a clinging to a sinking ship. The evangelical movement is the opposite reaction, an desperate effort to make Christianity fun and easy so as to get converts. It will work as well as the Catholic effort at the same game (Second Vatican Council), which is to say not at all......it cheapens without offering any payoff.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:19 am
While WorldNet headlined the court's decission with Christians ordered to pay big bucks - for praying!, others reported correctly:

Quote:
Gay Pride protesters found guilty
03/01/2008 06:44 PM
By: AP Wire Service
ELMIRA, N.Y. -- Four Christian protesters are found guilty of disorderly conduct at a gay pride festival. Julian Raven, Maurice Kienenberger, Gloria Raven, and Walter Quick protested the festival in Elmira last June by wearing T-shirts and lying down in front of the stage after police ordered them to stay in a corner of the city park.

The defense lawyer argued the arrests violated free speech rights, but a judge agreed with prosecutors that their actions threatened public order.

All four were sentenced to pay $100 in fines. An appeal is planned.

Source
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:32 am
There are posters on A2K that have said Christianity should be eradicated. (I believe that is the word I read). I have talked to plenty of people saying Christianity should be exterminated. I have been called a terrorist because I am a Christian because I said the Bible doesn't condone homosexuality.

The plain and simple fact is there are plenty out there that do want to see the end to Christianity.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:34 am
Arella Mae wrote:
There are posters on A2K that have said Christianity should be eradicated. (I believe that is the word I read). I have talked to plenty of people saying Christianity should be exterminated. I have been called a terrorist because I am a Christian because I said the Bible doesn't condone homosexuality.

The plain and simple fact is there are plenty out there that do want to see the end to Christianity.
The title of this tread is a lie, a mistruth and that mama angel is most peoples complaint.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:38 am
well then, go deal with them directly and stop wasting your time posting 1/2 investigated propaganda.

if I had a problem with 2 of the neighbors on my block, I wouldn't subject the other 15 of them to my problem.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:40 am
heh, this fits right in with my new sig line.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:42 am
Dys,

Ok, I am resding this perhaps two different ways because of you quoting what I last said.

#1: Are you saying the original post is a lie and that (the original post being a lie), mama angel (addressing me) is the complaint? If so, this is my response:

I titled the thread from the article. Then someone found more information and I agreed they should have been arrested.

#2 The post you quoted is the lie and mistruth and I am most peoples' complaint?

If this is what you are saying I can look up the posts where posters have said Christianity should be done away with, exterminated, or whatever word they used. If I am most peoples' complaint, oh well, no one likes everyone. :wink:

0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:28 am
Arella Mae- There are bigots everywhere. There are people who find fault with one thing or another, be it religious, racial, etc. etc. etc. prejudices. A few miserable malcontents who refuse to mind their own business is not a groundswell to "destroy Christianity".

Are there some people who wish Christianity would just go away? Sure there are. There are also people who would like to see Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Buddhists. athiests. agnostics, etc. go away also. A few malcontents do not a a movement make.
0 Replies