Christian Group Arrested for Praying Silently Gay Gathering

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:33 am
Phoenix,

I do not disagree with your post. But do I feel there is a war on Christianity? Yes, I do. Spend a little time in a Yahoo Christian Chatroom and I think you'd agree some have declared war on Christianity. On the other hand, I think a war has been declared on Islam also.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:36 am
dyslexia wrote:
Arella Mae wrote:
There are posters on A2K that have said Christianity should be eradicated. (I believe that is the word I read). I have talked to plenty of people saying Christianity should be exterminated. I have been called a terrorist because I am a Christian because I said the Bible doesn't condone homosexuality.

The plain and simple fact is there are plenty out there that do want to see the end to Christianity.
The title of this tread is a lie, a mistruth and that mama angel is most peoples complaint.

[/quote]The title of this tread is a lie, a mistruth and, THAT, mama angel is most peoples complaint.[/quote]

I think Dys was saying the title of the thread is most people's complaint, not you, AE. He just didn't put commas in where he needed them.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:49 am
Yeah that's what I'm thinking too Mame. And can't blame him for that. I came across the article and posted it. I am glad that someone else posted more information about it. I don't care much for journalists who don't report all the facts. I think it can cause a heck of an uproar at times.

Thanx!
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:12 pm
I wouldn't go as far as to say there is a war on christianity. I think non-religious folks feel that their "way" is more enlightened and correct, and christians tend to adopt that into the realm of persecution. I have nothing against christianity. Organized religion and large world churches? I have to admit I have a huge problem with them. But on the small scale, a single church or a church community is at least usually made up of people who feel they are doing the right thing. They aren't malicious. They have good hearts, but they often are led by world church offices that have far lapsed into business and world survival leaving the true biblical intent far behind. Keep in mind, I'm one of the ones that doesn't believe in evil or a universal right and wrong, so I don't say churches are wrong, its just that their drive is ripping at the soul of humanity in a highly damaging way.

I think you will find that many non-religious people might say that christians wage missionary war against the beliefs of those who aren't christians. Its two-sided.

I remember the first time I truly realized the power of Christianity and I was relieved of this huge burden. I was "saved" and baptized. What a rush. Then I saw the larger truth and it made my christian catharsis seem like successfully popping a zit. I think that is the schism that christians perceive as a war. For ever mission that christians undertake, I kinda feel like, "that's so cute," like watching a puppy try to take a stick into its doghouse sideways. They don't understand, but they'll get it eventually.

On the topic of the article, I'm not sure we'll ever know the truth, but in my experience with this type of thing (having been in crowd security) is that when a dissenting group shows up to peacefully demonstrate, it rarely ends up peaceful. The intent is often to ruffle feathers. Think about the sponsoring thought behind those christians exercising their rights to public assembly; they could have just as effectively prayed at someone's house, at the church, or alone. They chose to infiltrate the demonstration which shows malice and hate, not love. If you love them, pray for them. If you despise them, go show them how terrible they are by making them feel guilty. My mother did that SO well. If you didn't do it her way she would stand in your way and pray for you to do it her way.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:37 pm
I don't feel that showing up and praying is malicious or hateful. Now, the laying down in front of the stage was unnecessary I admit.

But that Christian group had just as much right to be there as did the other group. There is nothing hateful or malicious about praying for someone.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 07:56 pm
Arella Mae, I seldom read these threads anymore because there never seems to be any education or increased understanding. The two sides just have their say and take pages and pages to say whatever they have to say.

Quote:
It's about getting rid of Christianity in my opinion.

This is always what it comes down to with you, feeling like a martyr or assuming that other Christians have been martyred. Do you have the fish symbol on your rear bumper? That's an ancient symbol of martyred Christians (lions one, Christians zero)---centuries ago. People feel sorry for martyrs, who seem to be too helpless to fend for themselves.

If what happened at the Gay Pride meeting in the park was peaceful and non-obtrusive, I would support the Christians right to be in a public place, just as I supported the KKKwhen they wanted to march down the main street of some town many years ago. The ACLU defended the KKK, engendering enormous amounts of hate mail and they lost several long time members. But they were simply doing their job--defending the constitution and the rights it conveys to every citizen of this country, no matter how disgusting or hateful they might be.

It doesn't come down to eradicating Christians, it it all about, and rightly so, enforcing the protections given by the Constitution. If they were not bothering anyone, they shouldn't have been arrested because they, like all the rest of us, have the right of free speech. If they were purposely being obtrusive, they were disobeying the law. Period. No martyrs, no eradication of Christians.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:01 pm
I guess you missed the post where I said they should have been arrested?

I am no martyr. I do not feel persecuted. I know plenty of people that want to eradicate Christianity. Some on this forum. They are perfectly within their rights to feel the way they do. I don't have to like it and they don't have to like my views either.

I think some people are just more honest than others about it.
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:12 pm
Diane wrote:
Arella Mae, I seldom read these threads anymore because there never seems to be any education or increased understanding. The two sides just have their say and take pages and pages to say whatever they have to say.

Quote:
It's about getting rid of Christianity in my opinion.

This is always what it comes down to with you, feeling like a martyr or assuming that other Christians have been martyred. Do you have the fish symbol on your rear bumper? That's an ancient symbol of martyred Christians (lions one, Christians zero)---centuries ago. People feel sorry for martyrs, who seem to be too helpless to fend for themselves.

If what happened at the Gay Pride meeting in the park was peaceful and non-obtrusive, I would support the Christians right to be in a public place, just as I supported the KKKwhen they wanted to march down the main street of some town many years ago. The ACLU defended the KKK, engendering enormous amounts of hate mail and they lost several long time members. But they were simply doing their job--defending the constitution and the rights it conveys to every citizen of this country, no matter how disgusting or hateful they might be.

It doesn't come down to eradicating Christians, it it all about, and rightly so, enforcing the protections given by the Constitution. If they were not bothering anyone, they shouldn't have been arrested because they, like all the rest of us, have the right of free speech. If they were purposely being obtrusive, they were disobeying the law. Period. No martyrs, no eradication of Christians.

Skokie, Illinois----that's where the Nazi's marched in 78 or so. It is a town in the Chicago area with a sizable Jewish population. The march was a freedom of speech issue and the ACLU sent a lawyer to defend Nazi voices in a potentially hostile situation, He won and the march proceeded in relatively peace. Interestingly the ACLU lawyer defending the Nazi's was black.

If the march had proceeded without much conflict---it wouldn't be remembered---because it became a media event more is remembered of the court decisions than the march itself.

Rap
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 08:55 pm
It is not that hard to find a source with much more credibility and much less bias than WorldNetDaily.

Quote:

Wearing red T-shirts with the slogans "Liberated from Sin" and "By the Blood of Jesus," they were arrested for lying down in front of the stage after police ordered them to stay in a corner of the park.

Complete story

Christians who are being obnoxious are protected by the first amendment.

Christians who are disrupting a presentation by lying down in front of the stage are not.

The police were correct to arrest them (and I would expect that any protester who disrupts a performance or presentation would be arrested regardless of their relgious or political stance.)

Arella... please note that your source of information omitted important parts of this story. Also note that it was very easy to get the real account of what happened.

If you still think there is a question to debate here after knowing the real reason that police stepped in.... please let us know.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:04 pm
Immediately after someone else posted a more detailed article I agreed that they should have been arrested. I don't have any debate concerning it.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:08 pm
I also read that post, Arella Mae. I am, therefore, wondering why the thread is continuing since the subject has now been detailed, understood and generally agreed upon.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:11 pm
Boredom? Laughing
0 Replies

curtis73

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:31 pm
Yeah... boredom Smile
0 Replies