does softener affect PH?

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 11:56 am
On this board I've been told no, and I have no reason to doubt that. But can someone explain this:

The water guy tested PH from the kitchen at 7.1 and my spa test kit showed around 7.0 so that seemed right.

but the (assumed) unsoftened outside spigot delivers water to my spa that is way over 8.0 (it's very deep purple and i never tried to get an accurate reading beyond that it is 8+)

so any idea why the fresh fill on the spa would read so high on the PH.

i know there is residual water in the spa 'guts' after a draining but if anything, that would be 7.4 ish PH and would in no way enable the PH to shoot up to 8.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 688 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Gary Slusser

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2008 02:08 pm
Take a sample from before and after teh softener as close t oteh softener as possible, and test both.

That's the only way to see any change in the pH caused by a softener without any possibility of interference from the spa.

If ion exchange softening changes the pH, it will be increased slightly but how much depends on the amount of ion exchange being done.
0 Replies