THE ENIGMAS OF OZTRALIA

roger

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 08:14 pm
hingehead wrote:

(Vegemite - Australian food product)

This statement has been sufficiently challenged in other threads.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 10:12 pm
dadpad wrote:
Quote:
In just 30 years, one weed has taken over vast stretches of the Northern Territory. Mimosa pigra, a native of tropical America, has consumed more than 800 square kilometres of wetlands and now threatens Kakadu National Park.

Yup I know mimosa. Its a foreign invader.

Some things never change.

It's also fairly rife in Cairns in parks and lawns. Evil stuff. We used to call it touchweed. You touch the leaves and they close up. It's not a tree, more like a bramble.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:10 pm
dadpad wrote:
Quote:
In just 30 years, one weed has taken over vast stretches of the Northern Territory. Mimosa pigra, a native of tropical America, has consumed more than 800 square kilometres of wetlands and now threatens Kakadu National Park.

Yup I know mimosa. Its a foreign invader.

Some things never change.

Thank you...I had no idea what he was talking about!!
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2008 11:50 pm
Setanta is actually showing his ignorance of the plant kingdom.

Family, genus, species, common name
MIMOSACEAE Acacia dealbata Silver wattle

Mimosa
Any of a group of leguminous trees, shrubs, or herbs belonging to the mimosa family, found in tropical and subtropical regions.

Any number of countries have mimosa.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 10:07 am
You can step all over my accusations of deep-dyed Oztralian evil, but you can't spoil my fun.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 07:29 pm
Well, we are different - but I don't really think we're evil....well, some maybe!

But we mostly do it without guns (if you ignore the thread on Sydney underworld - which is mostly about the Melbourne underworld)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2008 09:48 pm
margo wrote:
Well, we are different - but I don't really think we're evil....well, some maybe!

But we mostly do it without guns (if you ignore the thread on Sydney underworld - which is mostly about the Melbourne underworld)

Oy!!!! I recall the days of Abe Saffron and the bolt-cutters.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 05:51 pm
dlowan wrote:
margo wrote:

Like margo said - we mostly do it without guns. Bolt-cutters are so much more imaginative.....
Cool
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2008 05:57 pm
lezzles wrote:
dlowan wrote:
margo wrote:

Like margo said - we mostly do it without guns. Bolt-cutters are so much more imaginative.....
Cool

That's certainly one word for it....
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2008 09:31 am
Hey you Ozzians (lagomorphs included)--i've just read in a novel (which i consider a dubious source for information) that the problem of ozone depletion is sufficiently significant for Oz that one must not go outside with sun block. Specifically, the novel referred to the Sidney Cove, Botany Bay area. Wassup diggers? Izzatso? Is there an ozone problem, and if so, how bad and how widespread?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 02:48 am
No Australian goes outside without sunblock!

We have to protect our delicate little Anglo-Celtic (mostly) or northern European skins!

Sun's pretty fierce here - always has been - not just the ozone layer issue
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 02:56 am
eh Margo and what might they call Irish-Australians?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 03:05 am
There's about 21 million Australians, and about half of us are Irish Australians to some extent. They call us Australians. But we still have that Celtic colouring (or I certainly do!)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 04:10 am
Setanta wrote:
Hey you Ozzians (lagomorphs included)--i've just read in a novel (which i consider a dubious source for information) that the problem of ozone depletion is sufficiently significant for Oz that one must not go outside with sun block. Specifically, the novel referred to the Sidney Cove, Botany Bay area. Wassup diggers? Izzatso? Is there an ozone problem, and if so, how bad and how widespread?

It ain't good:

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/reporting/atmosphere/ozone.html

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/reporting/education/pdfs/fact_sheets/03_ozone.pdf

Kiddie version:

http://australia.jrn.msu.edu/2000/work/projects/environment/ozonepage.html

So, yes, we have to worry about the sun even more than we used to.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 23 Mar, 2008 05:54 am
Sunblock is tax deductable. What does that tell you.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:25 pm
Well, the sun can be pretty damned fierce in the Great Plains of North America, too--but ozone depletion ain't a problem. I was rather suspicious of the author i was reading, as he is a bullshit artist in so much of what he writes, although he spins a good yarn.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 07:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
Well, the sun can be pretty damned fierce in the Great Plains of North America, too--but ozone depletion ain't a problem. I was rather suspicious of the author i was reading, as he is a bullshit artist in so much of what he writes, although he spins a good yarn.

What makes those plains so great that they warrant capitalizing?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2008 08:48 pm
Geographic region, like Sahara Desert. Not quite so dry, of course.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 03:01 am
Setanta,
Ozone depletion (as I understand things) is highest over the poles. Not sure why, but there is a bloody great hole on the ozone layer over the antarctic. I assume this means that the further you travel south the less ozone is in the stratosphere. Maybe the layer is thicker over the equator.
So great plains of American (note lwr case margo) has its usual compliment of ozone but Tassie is getting fried. (Its not that bad really).

Its a bit incongruouse when you think that the bulk of ozone depleting chemicals are produced in the US and Europe.

Our primary school has a hat on in the playground policy.

Things arn't as bad as not going outside without sunscreen but if you are an outdoor worker you'd be silly if you didn't use it over summer.
My father has had several skin cancers removed from his face and neck

This from the Melanoma foundation:
Melanoma is a major Australian health problem. Every year over 8,000 Australians are diagnosed with melanoma and more than 1,000 Australians die from melanoma.

Australia has the highest incidence of melanoma in the world, melanoma is the most common cancer in males aged 25 - 54 and in females aged 15 - 29 years. It is the second most common cancer in women 30 - 54 years of age and in the overall population of Australia, melanoma now ranks as the third most common cancer.
The incidence of melanoma in NSW is 3 times the incidence in the USA and 6 times the incidence in the UK.

More here

SLIP SLOP SLAP 1980
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:00 am
margo wrote:
Setanta wrote:

What makes those plains so great that they warrant capitalizing?

It's a literary and geographic convention, Miss Margo. However, as they stretch from the Rio Grande to the Arctic Circle, i suppose those who named them the Great Plains were motivated by the vast, unbroken extent of that terrain feature.
0 Replies