How would an atheist explain the probelm of evil?

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:38 pm
Chumly wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
1. To deter the individual from repeating the behavior
So you claim, however I provide the same merited challenge as above and again note you have failed to respond in kind.
Brandon9000 wrote:

2. To deter others in society who might commit crimes
So you claim, however I provide the same merited challenge as above and again note you have failed to respond in kind.
Brandon9000 wrote:
3. Punishment
Sorry but this is circular. All you have claimed is you think incarnation is punishment.

In sum your case has yet to show any merit.

I responded immediately to your statement, but in the way I chose. I am under no obligation to play by your rules as long as my argument is valid. Your entire post could be summed up by saying, "Prove it," which isn't much of an argument in the absence of any other points. If I chose, I could give that answer to every claim made by anyone, ad infinitum, and say nothing else. If I did, I would be copping out as you are now. Sometimes saying, "prove it" is the right argument and sometimes it isn't. If someone makes the claim, "there are happy people in the world, but there are also sad people," it would be assinine of me to ask him to prove it, since there is almost universal agreement that it is so. It can be assumed to be a very plausible opinion (although it cannot be assumed to be certain) since nearly everyone believes it. I claim only that:

1. Punishing a criminal often has a deterrent effect on the criminal.
2. Regularly punishing criminals deters some not insignificant segment of society from committing crimes as often as they otherwise would.

I'd say that these are fairly obvious truths, not in the same category as claiming that the mean surface temperature on Venus is 733K. If you say that you disagree, then you are claiming that punishing criminals very rarely discourages them from committing as many crimes in the future as they otherwise would, and that regularly punishing criminals either deters no one at all, or deters a segment of society so small as to be insignificant. Is this, in fact, what you do claim?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 10:48 pm
Brandon9000,

You need to review both the implementation and understanding of Argumentation Theory; your responses are further diminished by reliance on the Logical Fallacy called argumentum ad nauseam.

Argumentation Theory dictates I need not accept your unsubstantiated claims as axiomatic.

Further my rational challenge to your unsubstantiated claims is not motivated by any such Straw Men as you now present.

No offense intended or implied, however as they say in the vernacular: "**** or get off the pot".

After a grasp of both the implementation and understanding of Argumentation Theory and Logical Fallacies you need to understand that crime and punishment (pun) fall under the umbrella of relativism*

You also need to understand that the laws of the land are based on societal mores, which again fall under the umbrella of relativism*

*arguably

In any case have a look see at my earlier response to Gilbey:
Chumly wrote:
Gilbey wrote:
Chumly, With your "Justice=Societal retribution=Revenge=evil" calculation
You conclude that justice is evil, but how can that be?

So what came first, an act of evil of an act of justice?
Many of a religious persuasion would say there is absolutism in morality and it's found in the word of god or some such mythical tome.

Moral relativists would say it based on societal norms to the exclusion of any absolutism.

Others might argue evolution dictates certain moral idealizations.

Still others might simply say that the lesser of two evils is good by default and not even question moral impetus.

As a human being you get the joy of pondering these quandaries. My best suggestion is: don't forgot to poke fun along the way!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2008 11:59 pm
JLNobody wrote:
I agree that imprisoning criminals is a form of self-defense, but it is a short-sighted one if the prisoners are not imprisoned for life. When they get out, and most of them will, they will have become more dangerous for society, and more skilled at criminal behavior--unless they have been prepared to live more successfully in society. Rehabilitation, while never perfect, also serves our self-defense interest, and it does so in a more humane way, in a way that does not degrade us for cruelty and vindictiveness.
It seems to me that the first thing you are going to have to do is define what is and what is not a crime, and why it should or should not be a crime; otherwise you are simply relying on some vague set of societal normatives to push you in a given direction. For example the criminalization of public nudity and marijuana.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 06:27 am
Chumly wrote:
...You also need to understand that the laws of the land are based on societal mores, which again fall under the umbrella of relativism*

*arguably

How could this possibly be relevant to the question of whether punishment deters criminals?

Further, I asked you a question. Ignoring it doesn't constitue a valid argument. For some reason your responses almost always ignore anything I say or ask. Probably easier for you that way. Please respond this time:

Brandon9000 wrote:
If you say that you disagree, then you are claiming that punishing criminals very rarely discourages them from committing as many crimes in the future as they otherwise would, and that regularly punishing criminals either deters no one at all, or deters a segment of society so small as to be insignificant. Is this, in fact, what you do claim?

For all of history, parents all over the world have punished naughty children to make them hesitate to be naughty again, and governments all over the world have punished criminals both to deter them and to deter other would-be criminals. Now, you are entightled to ask me to prove something which has been accepted by almost everyone for all of time, but if you also don't yourself doubt that it's true, then asking me to prove it is only a dishonest stalling tactic, which is why I am checking to see if you actually doubt the truth of my assertions about punishment often deterring crime.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 01:21 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
however as discussed: demonstrate with evidentiary methodology that incarceration is empirically definable as more than Societal Retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) and you have a case

Naturally you ignore the argument that incarceration is justifiable societal self defense, not simply 'retribution'.
Real life believes in retaliation; an eye for an eye.

Go ahead, justify the criminalization of marijuana.

Go ahead, justify the criminalization of public nudity.

You asked for an argument in favor of incarceration for convicted criminals.

Now you are cornered, so you change the subject to 'what should and should not be a crime'.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:00 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
...You also need to understand that the laws of the land are based on societal mores, which again fall under the umbrella of relativism*

*arguably

How could this possibly be relevant to the question of whether punishment deters criminals?

Further, I asked you a question. Ignoring it doesn't constitue a valid argument. For some reason your responses almost always ignore anything I say or ask. Probably easier for you that way. Please respond this time:

Brandon9000 wrote:
If you say that you disagree, then you are claiming that punishing criminals very rarely discourages them from committing as many crimes in the future as they otherwise would, and that regularly punishing criminals either deters no one at all, or deters a segment of society so small as to be insignificant. Is this, in fact, what you do claim?

For all of history, parents all over the world have punished naughty children to make them hesitate to be naughty again, and governments all over the world have punished criminals both to deter them and to deter other would-be criminals. Now, you are entightled to ask me to prove something which has been accepted by almost everyone for all of time, but if you also don't yourself doubt that it's true, then asking me to prove it is only a dishonest stalling tactic, which is why I am checking to see if you actually doubt the truth of my assertions about punishment often deterring crime.
I don't ignore the things you post, else I would not respond, however it's not my responsibility to ensure you understand the implications of the topics at hand and I have no interest in the logical fallacy argumentum ad nauseum.

I've already annunciated the perspectives in question quite clearly, as such: "You can lead a horse to water........"
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2008 08:05 pm
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
however as discussed: demonstrate with evidentiary methodology that incarceration is empirically definable as more than Societal Retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) and you have a case

Naturally you ignore the argument that incarceration is justifiable societal self defense, not simply 'retribution'.

Now you are cornered, so you change the subject to 'what should and should not be a crime'.
Specious straw man drivel. The challenge is as stated.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 29 Feb, 2008 10:39 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:

Specious straw man drivel. The challenge is as stated.

The 'challenge' of changing the subject? No challenge for you. You are an expert at it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 01:18 am
Via your disparaging remarks I am placed in the company of estimable posters.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 07:43 am
Yes, those whose argument falls apart the moment it is typed.

Your argument that incarceration is nothing more than 'retribution' is so silly, I cannot believe anyone would take it seriously.

Criminals are locked away to protect society.

It's not a difficult thing to understand.

I suspect that you were so engaged in decorating your challenge with flowery language that you neglected to consider that it is easily falsifiable.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 1 Mar, 2008 04:30 pm
Exempting your nonsensical spaghetti jungle:

Demonstrate with evidentiary methodology that incarceration is empirically definable as more than Societal Retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) and you have a case.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 03:30 pm
'Jungle', eh?

Is it that difficult for you?

Seven words --

'Criminals are locked away to protect society'

Which of these words do you not understand?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 03:34 pm
real life wrote:
'Jungle', eh?

Seven words --

Your claim of societal intent is irrelevant.

Demonstrate with evidentiary methodology that incarceration is empirically definable as more than Societal Retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) and you have a case.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 09:31 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
'Jungle', eh?

Seven words --

Your claim of 'retribution' is an appeal to intent as well. Your own argument fails to pass your test.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 2 Mar, 2008 10:42 pm
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
'Jungle', eh?

Seven words --

Your claim of 'retribution' is an appeal to intent as well. Your own argument fails to pass your test.
False, "retributive justice" is a factual societal element in the implementation of incarceration regardless of whether the punishment causes any tangible benefits.
Quote:
Retributive justice is a theory of justice that proportionate punishment is a morally acceptable response to crime, regardless of whether the punishment causes any tangible benefits.

In ethics and law, "Let the punishment fit the crime" is the principle that the severity of penalty for a misdeed or wrongdoing should be reasonable and proportional to the severity of the infraction. The concept is common to most cultures throughout the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retributive_justice

0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 09:31 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
'Jungle', eh?

Seven words --

False, "retributive justice" is a factual societal element in the implementation of incarceration regardless of whether the punishment causes any tangible benefits.

Are you saying that society punishes with no intent to do so? Laughing
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 3 Mar, 2008 11:15 pm
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
'Jungle', eh?

Seven words --

Another real life straw man argument based on misrepresentation of my position.

0 Replies

hanno

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:18 pm
Problem... what problem?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 10:49 pm
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
'Jungle', eh?

Seven words --

Another real life straw man argument based on misrepresentation of my position.

You don't appear to know the difference between a straw man and a simple question.

Just admit that you cannot answer the question without invalidating your own objection.

Societal intent certainly IS relevant in a discussion of punishment and incarceration.

It is foolish to claim otherwise.

Now, show why 'Criminals are locked away to protect society' is equivalent to 'societal retribution' , else your argument is toast.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 4 Mar, 2008 11:03 pm
Your pattern is cliché, misrepresent my position and rephrase it as a question and/or try and pass it off as a statement of fact.

How about something challenging instead of your old worn out stuff.
0 Replies