How would an atheist explain the probelm of evil?

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:39 am
Miklos said that not being a god he cannot assign the value of "intrinsic" evil to an act. I agree and would like to apply the principle as well to the application of "intrinsic", or absolute, virtue.
There have been some very intelligent responses to the widely accepted inanity expressed by Real Life. I particularly appreciate that of the newcomer, Thoke--whom we should welcome to A2K most enthusiastically.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:16 pm
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

The older I get, the less inclined I am to make absolute judgments. Sure, I make the rough judgments that are necessary for navigating my daily life, but I'll leave the absolutes to someone better qualified.

How is labelling a person's behavior evil an absolute any more than labelling it selfish or kind? You simply don't like the idea that evil people exist in the world, so you try to pretend that you're too enlightened to believe in it. That would be fine except for the fact that some people do exhibit frequent evil behavior.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:18 pm
JLNobody wrote:
Miklos said that not being a god he cannot assign the value of "intrinsic" evil to an act. I agree and would like to apply the principle as well to the application of "intrinsic", or absolute, virtue.
There have been some very intelligent responses to the widely accepted inanity expressed by Real Life. I particularly appreciate that of the newcomer, Thoke--whom we should welcome to A2K most enthusiastically.

When you say that someone is kind, you don't usually mean that his behavior is always kind, you mean that it's frequently kind. Similarly, some people's behavior is frequently evil, so it is as reasonable to call the one person evil as it is to call the other kind.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:35 pm
Re: How would an atheist explain the probelm of evil?
Gilbey wrote:
But how would they explain the problem of evil?
Ask my wife when she comes home finding the honey-do list incomplete.

To expand on Brandon9000's perspective, my wife might brand me as "kind of evil but not unkind" thus supporting Miklos' outlook as to my my wife's belief she's god.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 12:54 pm
thoke wrote:
*The Problem of Evil works better reformulated as the Problem of Suffering, since we all agree that there is suffering in the world, and some of it cannot be explained away with reference to the free will of humans (e.g. natural disasters... why would a good God have allowed the tsunami?).

Only if you are willing to totally refine the word, as evil means expressed through man. If you want to make a tsunami "evil" you can only do it by bastardizing the word. I suggest that you go get another word instead. In any case your attempted new definition for the word is not relevant here, as we need to assume that the OP meant "evil" as the word is defined, did not make up a new definition for the word.
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:32 pm
I would say that evil, is just something one deems to be evil.

Some deem animal testing to be evil, others see it as a minor evil that gives rise to a greater good, and yet others would see no evil in it at all.

To call something evil is just to express a feeling about something.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:44 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

The older I get, the less inclined I am to make absolute judgments. Sure, I make the rough judgments that are necessary for navigating my daily life, but I'll leave the absolutes to someone better qualified.

How is labelling a person's behavior evil an absolute any more than labelling it selfish or kind? You simply don't like the idea that evil people exist in the world, so you try to pretend that you're too enlightened to believe in it. That would be fine except for the fact that some people do exhibit frequent evil behavior.

I agree with brandon, except for the terminology. As I said, I consider the word 'evil' to be a religious concept. but rejecting it in no way means to say morality has no foundation. Persons who kill with no remorse, Hitlers, etc., still must face justice.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 02:59 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

I agree with brandon, except for the terminology. As I said, I consider the word 'evil' to be a religious concept. but rejecting it in no way means to say morality has no foundation. Persons who kill with no remorse, Hitlers, etc., still must face justice.
And what is justice if not society's retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) which is by many people's beliefs evil; as it then connotes revenge and not equity.

Or so it might go, should I take the devil's advocate Evil or Very Mad

Justice = Societal Retribution = Revenge = Evil

Edgarbly, it might appear you advocate the 'ol time religious view of "an eye for an eye" , AKA evil deserves evil, or in your connotation: immoral acts deserve immoral acts.

OK I won't poke any more fun........
0 Replies

Gilbey

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:13 pm
Chumly, With your "Justice=Societal retribution=Revenge=evil" calculation
You conclude that justice is evil, but how can that be?

So what came first, an act of evil of an act of justice?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:24 pm
Gilbey wrote:
Chumly, With your "Justice=Societal retribution=Revenge=evil" calculation
You conclude that justice is evil, but how can that be?

So what came first, an act of evil of an act of justice?
Many of a religious persuasion would say there is absolutism in morality and it's found in the word of god or some such mythical tome.

Moral relativists would say it based on societal norms to the exclusion of any absolutism.

Others might argue evolution dictates certain moral idealizations.

Still others might simply say that the lesser of two evils is good by default and not even question moral impetus.

As a human being you get the joy of pondering these quandaries. My best suggestion is: don't forgot to poke fun along the way!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 03:34 pm
Chumly wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

And what is justice if not society's retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) which is by many people's beliefs evil; as it then connotes revenge and not equity.

Edgarbly, it might appear you advocate the 'ol time religious view of "an eye for an eye" , AKA evil deserves evil, or in your connotation: immoral acts deserve immoral acts.

The statue of justice is blind, holding a scale. If justice to you is an eye for an eye, you and I have differing word definitions also.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 04:05 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Chumly wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

The statue of justice is blind, holding a scale. If justice to you is an eye for an eye, you and I have differing word definitions also.
Iconic idealizations based on so-called justice hold no sway over me matey!

I question if justice exists in any absolute sense.

As such you are going to have to demonstrate this so-called justice outside the confines of moral relativism (which I will argue is inclusionary of my third point to Gilbey: "Others might argue evolution dictates certain moral idealizations."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 08:19 pm
As a moral relativist (a corrolary of cultural relativism) I am sometimes accused of underestimating the evil of Hitler's or Dick Cheney's behavior. I assure my accusers that although I consider my values to be human cultural and personal constructions, rather than givens, I would, nevertheless, be no less inclined to crusade for them and perhaps take harsh measures--even self-sacrificing measures--to have them prevail. To define them as absolutes given to us by some divine source in no ways enhances their imperative value for me.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 10:29 pm
Chumly wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

And what is justice if not society's retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) which is by many people's beliefs evil; as it then connotes revenge and not equity.........

I know you're joking, at least I hope you are, but it's nonsense to imply that putting a bank robber in jail is evil.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 24 Feb, 2008 11:45 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Chumly wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
Miklos7 wrote:
Brandon9000,

And what is justice if not society's retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) which is by many people's beliefs evil; as it then connotes revenge and not equity.........

I know you're joking, at least I hope you are, but it's nonsense to imply that putting a bank robber in jail is evil.
Demonstrate with evidentiary methodology that incarceration is empirically definable as more than Societal Retribution (if the questionable arguments of deterrence and rehabilitation are exempted) and you have a case, if not there is no reason to suppose your opinion has merit.

Even if I do often post with some tongue-in-cheek, the challenge still stands if you are willing and able to respond in kind.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:50 am
hawkeye10 wrote:
thoke wrote:
*The Problem of Evil works better reformulated as the Problem of Suffering, since we all agree that there is suffering in the world, and some of it cannot be explained away with reference to the free will of humans (e.g. natural disasters... why would a good God have allowed the tsunami?).

Only if you are willing to totally refine the word, as evil means expressed through man. If you want to make a tsunami "evil" you can only do it by bastardizing the word. I suggest that you go get another word instead.

That's exactly what I've done... I've chosen the word 'suffering'.

I am not claiming that evil and suffering are the same thing.

There is a famous objection to theism, which is called the Problem of Evil, and I assumed that the intention of the original post in this thread was to try to suggest that The Problem of Evil might be a problem for atheists as well as (or instead of) theists.

One problem with The Problem of Evil is that evil seems to be a religious concept. Some atheists don't believe that evil exists, so they can't use its existence as an objection to theism.

Another problem with The Problem of Evil is that theists have a common response to it which makes it harder for the atheist to argue against theism. The response goes something like this: evil can be explained by the fact that God (who is a perfectly nice guy) blessed us with the freedom to choose to obey or disobey his will.

An alternative objection to theism can be made, which we can call the Problem of Suffering. This is not the same as The Problem of Evil, but the two problems overlap significantly, since suffering is often involved in what we call "evil".

The Problem of Suffering is more successful as an objection to theism, because unlike "evil", "suffering" is not a weird religious concept that any of us want to question. We all agree that there is suffering, and we all need to account for its existence. Theists have a hard time accounting for the existence of suffering, because they usually believe in a benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient God. And while they could try again to appeal to the supposed "free will" of human beings, this will not explain suffering that is not caused by human beings, such as suffering caused by natural disaster.

Anyway, this is all beside the point of the thread.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:53 am
Oh, I should clarify: I am thoke.

I set up a second account a while ago, for some reason... I think it was to talk about something personal in another A2K thread. Then I accidentally logged in as thoke the other day.
0 Replies

thoke

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 03:56 am
Just to confirm: I am agrote.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:13 am
digression: I am edgarblythe
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 25 Feb, 2008 06:14 am
Confirming I am edgarblythe. I have but one account.
0 Replies