Countdown to Springtime 2008

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:12 am
it's a down-right summery 79°F in Southie today Cool
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:26 am
DrMom--

At this point in my life, if getting rid of icy footing means monotonous weather, I'm sorely tempted to go for monotony.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 10:41 am
Noddy24 wrote:
DrMom--

At this point in my life, if getting rid of icy footing means monotonous weather, I'm sorely tempted to go for monotony.

Would weather could cause more monotony than that which causes icy footing?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 23 Apr, 2008 03:22 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Would weather could cause more monotony than that which causes icy footing?

I have no idea what you just said.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 05:33 am
CJ--

Gus is demonstrating that he can be abstruse and ambiguous. Gus is a man with the alphabet stretching ahead of him.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 08:24 am
We are contemplating a move back to South Florida, not for the monotonous weather but because the house there is not selling. I am trying to break away from the dramatic NE Florida weather which goes along with my disposition. In the mean time the big house there is empty. I wish I couls have you come and spend some time there Noddy.

Now please don't say I am a drama queen offering my house to strangers. I think that come from being immigrants. We are eager to form connections with people. Sometimes you get smacked in your face like , Who are you and how do you know we even like you? Did not want to use your springtime forum for venting but I felt that initially on A2K. I will start another thread about culture of A2K.

The offer is still open for you to come and stay in South Floida.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:27 am
BBB
My gardner, Sal, worked for eight hours in my yards. In my back yard, he got rid of the doggie poops. He removed a Pinon pine tree that was dying from the evil beetle that is killing them all over New Mexico. He planted white climbing rose bushes to replace it. My older white climbing roses are starting to bloom.

Sal fixed my wood raised planter that had a warped board that let the water out and he replaced the plastic lining. The 8 foot long planter was built high enough that I could plant in it. I put in a bunch of snapdragons and will add some more flowers this week.

Sal fixed a fallen board in the sideyard fence in my garage side front yard. He dug out the sage that was sprouting up everywhere, creating tripping hazards for me in my side yard. I have a huge side yard on my corner lot.

The wren colony and doves are enjoying the sunflower seeds that I put out for them each morning.

At night, the sky is filled with stars that appear so close due to our 5,000 foot altitude. My bedroom window blinds are tilted at night so that I can see the stars from my bed before I go to sleep.

My new Maddy2 is enjoying his new home despite him being neutered Monday. Dolly and I are happy to have him, making my family whole again.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 09:58 am
DrMom--

Thank you for the invitation.

BBB--

You're all ready for a Garden Party with elegant refreshments. Better schedule before the heat arrives.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Thu 24 Apr, 2008 11:10 am
opened the bedroom and bathroom window to let some fresh air in and hear some birds. All I hear is neighbors pool heater's motor. As good as I am with words I could use some suggestions re; how to bring it to his attention. It may need fixing.

The kinds of homes we live in these days are either heated or cooled by airconditioning most of the year. I wonder about springtime which is the only time you could turn AC off. The air inside must get very stale?
My kids have been complaining about being tired in the morning and I am questioning if there is a correlation. I am posting it here because it relates to springtime.
0 Replies

alex240101

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 06:00 am
The wall of green in back has appeared.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:09 am
Alex--

Check your Wall of Green every so often. There might be a unicorn peeking through from an alternate universe.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 10:19 am
BBB
After two days of working in the garden, my back is screaming for me to stop! Two days of pain killers allow my efforts.

I added two Delphinium Bluebell plants and two lavender Columbine plants to the multi-color Snapdragons in my raised planter. I planted two tomato plants in large pots, which I hope will do better than last year when I used pots not deep enough as Dyslexia advised me.

Now, I just have to keep up with the watering, which is not so hard on my back if I rotate watering the front and back yards.

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:02 pm
BBB--

Good for you. You're going to enjoy the view, despite the watering chore.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 12:50 pm
DrMom wrote:

My kids have been complaining about being tired in the morning and I am questioning if there is a correlation. I am posting it here because it relates to springtime.

Maybe because it's getting dark later? My kid has a hard time going to sleep before it's dark outside.

Maybe allergies?
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2008 08:34 pm
Thanks for responding Soz,
I made 1930 the new bedtime, despite whining and being light outside. Their performance immediately improved in school. My son actually requested that we keep the new time because they get to spend more time reading in bed and sharing their day with me.
We now sleep with the crickets and Frogs inthe background (quite loud because there is a pond and windows are open) which brings back childhood memories.
My husband is in Wisconsin M-F for a project so we ( me and kids) are cosleeping in my bed. I love it.

We all have some allergies and these days we are itching and rubbing eyes but I will avoid medicine as long as I can.

Does Anyone know where to get Lavender.? Health food store? Sorry for digressing but BBB mentioned Lavender.

My son is having Mother's day Tea and being his room mom I suggested we make Lavender fille Eyemasks for Moms which the Teacher loved. I have no idea where to get Lavender from !!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 11:47 am
It IS spring now: the Maypole was put up here this afternoon:

http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/181/e000005dl0.th.jpg

(They do it the weekend before May 1, because we've a local fete here on that [public] holiday.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 12:12 pm
Walter--

Our Maypole will be next weekend.

One of the inconvenient aspects of spring came out of hibernation and stalked into my yard under cover of darkness to gorge on black oil sunflower seeds. The sneak thief was routed by my heroic leather-lunged dog.

Judging from her success, the maurader was a cub. This is mating season for bears and the cubs who were born in January, 2006, are turned loose to fend for themselves while mama goes courting.

She saved 50 pounds of black oil sunflower seed--which is getting quite expensive thanks to the demand for corn for ethanol--and five squirrel-proof bird feeders which have never been cheap.

Rural living has disadvantages.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 04:46 am
The last signs of spring ...

http://i29.tinypic.com/ivvccz.jpg

... it's (nearly) summer now (at least, when looking at the temperature and loving these sunny, warm days in the shadow :wink:

http://i32.tinypic.com/2q1h36b.jpg
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 08:59:40