Countdown to Springtime 2008

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 10:34 am
Yesterday was First Spring Clean-up Part One -- it was fabulous! Temp in the mid-50's but the sun was out and felt warmer once I got going. Got 3 yard bags' worth of miscellaneous STUFF -- twigs, leaves, errant brave dandelions.

Little unidentified purple bulbs (not crocuses, smaller) are blooming, violets are blooming, crocuses are blooming, daffodils are blooming, vinca is budding, tulips are spiking (the leaves are there but no buds yet), irises are doing the same (shorter/ smaller leaves though). Magnolia's about to pop, Japanese maple is budding. That last one is worrying me -- it really suffered in the late freeze last year. There are a lot of small dead branches that I've been clipping off, and hoping it'll come through OK, just a bit more sparse.

Today is even beautiful-er -- high of 67! -- and I plan on tackling the back yard.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 02:35 pm
Dys--

You're a show-off and so are Walter and hamburger.

Soz is a bustling show-off in a category by herself (although her weather is more inspiring than hamburgers weather).

I suspect that the local skunks are excavating our yard for Japanese beetle larvae. Something is digging holes--or at least lifting the moss. If only the temperatures would rise to the high '50's....

If....if....if....
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
We went out and did some clearing or rather I was out for 45 mins and RP is still out there, a few hours afterwards. I just couldn't take the cold any more, plus I was sneezing more than I want to -- don't want to be sick right now if I can at all help it.

It's raw and a bit windy, and the yard is soaked, but the rose bush is pruned, the mock orange is cut back to acceptable levels and the leaves are off the ground or at least that was in progress when I went back inside. We have a few brave crocuses and some tulip leaves, plus some daffodils that are closed but you can see yellow so they'll open at some time, maybe next week (Wed. and Thurs. are supposed to be very nice).
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:49 pm
I want to till my gardens and plow a new orchard grass field. Its been rain , then 2 days nice, then rain, then 2 days nice. Too muddy to do anything . Amish plowed last fall, I should have done likewise.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:58 pm
we did a little more "spring garden clean-up" this morning - i'm very good in supporting myself by hanging on to the rake - it keeps me upright :wink:

this afternoon went down to lake ontario . it was sunny and quite mild - 14 C . a lot of the queen's university students were out by the lake : jogging , playing ball , and some holding hands and even smooching - with the GIRLS !!!

the sun is still shining into the westward facing room , had to let the blind down .
rain to start on wednesday .
hbg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 06:34 pm
Well to make up for yesterday's bustling I accomplished precisely nothing today, yardwork-wise -- did this, did that, had a meeting, and now it's 8:30 PM and time for bed. Tomorrow is supposed to be yet another gorgeous day though so I hope to tackle the back yard then. (And supposed to be yet another beaut the day after that!! Such luck!)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:46 am
forecast promised :sunshine ; reality : cloudy !
can't even trust the weather to live up to expectations any more .
the hundreds of springbulbs flowering along the hedge seem to enjoy the
overcast sky .
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:24 am
No ice. No snow. No sun--but no ice or snow.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:30 am
We got a sunny weekend to be followed by 4 days of thunderboomers and chills.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 02:56 pm
One of sozlet's friends is here for a playdate. I'm supposed to have her home 5-ish. I'm used to budgeting about 20 minutes for wrap-up -- need to get on the boots and find the mittens and zip the coat and wrap the scarf and....

But it's mid-70's and there's nothing to pile on!!

Won't last much longer (colder tomorrow) but awfully nice change of pace (and sign of spring!)

Plus the magnolia popped. (Reminds me of fresh fluffy popcorn when seen from a distance.)

Definitely getting there (but worried about another freeze...)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 09:13 pm
We might hit 70 this week! And then drop back down to daytime temps in the 40s. I've got several daffodils that are about to pop. Have been about to pop for days now. But they keep nice and safe awaiting more spring-like temps.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 05:55 am
more rain yesterday. We need it do stop raining for a bit so I can till, plow, and plant. dammit!!

Wewere gonna set up a blast at a coal mine yesterday but put it off for a week or so, theres too much water spilling out of the roick and thatll mess up the rock breakup.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 08:47 am
Whatever else is going on, everything--even standing by the open door at midnight pleading for the Family Dog to get herself organized--is easier in balmy temperatures.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:31 am
67°F never felt so good...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:38 am
ahhhhchoooooooo
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:04 am
Region Philbis wrote:
67°F never felt so good...

oooohhh yeeeaaahhhh!
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 11:09 am
makes ya wanna get out there and do stuff... Mr. Green
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:50 pm
I did get out there and do stuff. I had a half day today and was home after noon. I ate, changed and headed to the garden. It was all about snipping back dead twigs and pulling up maple seedlings. I also marked some tender shoots so people wouldn't step on them. Oh, and I spoke with a neighbor (yeah, I have neighbors - in winter one forgets these things) about his yard and garden........... I came inside at 3:30 and it's still down-right balmy out there!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 02:55 pm
Had to drive up to another coal mine for a meeting this AM. At about 8:45 when I left, I was in a dense fog all the way up the first mountain. Then the sun broke through and its been in the 70's the rest of the day. Should have had my ougar convertible on the road.

The mountain tops are still in mid winter, while the valleys are all into a sweet perfumed spring mode. Lovely day, lovely day.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Tue 22 Apr, 2008 10:38 pm
Hi Noddy,
Where I live rightnow ( Jacksonville, FL) it truly is unpredictable. We had warm days in February when children complained re; their extra clothing and we had days this past week where I had to turn on the heat before waking them up.
I must say it is exciting to wake up and not know how to dress up for the day. I lived in South Florida where the only thing that would change would be the Weather Lady's Outfit.
If given a choice which would you prefer?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 02:13:42