MUSLIM CHEESECAKE

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:47 pm
I heard a very interesting interview today, and thought that it might interest people here who have a passion for art. The gentleman interviewed is Makan Emadi. Mr. Emadi is an American citizen who is Persian by birth, coming from Iran with his family at age 14. This is the biography of Mr. Emadi at his web site:

Quote:
Max Emadi emigrated with his family from Iran in 1979 at the age of fourteen. While attending Claremont High School he became interested in art courses and took Ceramics for four years. Following high school, he studied sculpting with Betty Davenport Ford.

Max's career took him away from art for many years. He received training and worked as a Certified Chemical Dependency Counselor and found his second passion in the helping field. He pursued his education by completing a bachelor's degree in social work at Cal Poly Pomona and a master's degree in the same field from Cal State Long Beach.

After becoming secure in his career as a psychotherapist and beginning his current job for the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health, as well as joining the adjunct faculty at Mount San Antonio College, he decided to revisit the artistic interests of his teens.

In the last few years, Max has participated in a number of group shows & been featured in four solo exhibitions in the Los Angeles area.

What was very intersting, and the burden of the interview, is his "Islamic Erotica." You can visit his galleries by clicking here, and one of these galleries is entitled Islamic Erotica. Having heard the interview, i found the web site to view the galleries. There is nothing grossly obscene here, but what was interesting to me was both that some of the images (such as the one you'll see below) mock western "cheesecake" images of the '40s and '50s, and others show images of hands or feet, demonstrating that eroticism can be culturally divergent, as are so many other things.

This image mocks a famous image of Marilyn Monroe from The Seven Year Itch, and is entitled "The Persian Marilyn Monroe."

http://www.makangallery.com/Big%20Pics/New/PersianMarilynMonroe.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,232 • Replies: 5
No top replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:51 pm
T&A = Toes and Ankles
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 01:54 pm
That was a good one, footie doggie.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 02:28 pm
Stolen of course, but I forget from whom.
0 Replies

Miklos7

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 03:58 pm
These paintings are interesting. What Mr. Emadi calls "abstracts," but are, perhaps, better described as "semi-representational," are, to my eye, his strongest work. "Skyscape No.2: 2006" and "Sheltering Sky No. 4" really pull me in--and, I'll want to look at them again, because they strike me as alive.

By contrast, Makan Emadi's figurative work is very flat--and seemingly lacking in much resonance, except for pop-cultural references. Some of this flatness is, perhaps, purposeful; however, the existence of shallow modeling of the flesh suggests that he may wish to achieve that effect more fully. Similarly, the anatomical proportions are just off, suggesting that he is still developing his skills in this area. Only the painter knows his stylistic intent in these works, but their combination of flatness combined with partial modeling (a fairly unusual mix) suggests a developing style. Of course, the figurative subject matter is fresh--and I think it could become powerful. For someone who has been painting only briefly, after a hiatus of many years, Emadi has quite a bit going for him--good subjects and, apparently, rapidly-developing skills.

Thanks for posting this link.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 21 Feb, 2008 04:28 pm
Miklos7 wrote:
Similarly, the anatomical proportions are just off, suggesting that he is still developing his skills in this area.

That is something which occurred to me, as well. I suspected that the burkha threw off his proportions, but drapery and properly representing it is also a skill which an artist must master to do these types of work.

Quote:
Thanks for posting this link.

You're welcome. The interview was very interesting to me, which lead me to track down his web site.
0 Replies