Any photographers with Ultrasonic lenses?

quinn1

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 04:22 pm
Ive been pricing some lenses lately and although I know the specs behind ultrasonic, I just wonder if the extra up price really is worth it?
Anyone have experience with both AF & AF USM around 200 or 300 zoom for a comparison?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,017 • Replies: 8
No top replies

husker

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 04:59 pm
nope sorry
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 05:08 pm
Speaking of pics is your avatar you husker?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 05:36 pm
Is this new, Quinn, or about what Minolta had in the late '80s? At that time, I didn't think they were worth the price, though I got the girlfriend of the moment one of them and she loved it, maybe because it was paid for. I used to have a lens 75 - 200mm, and it was fine by itself, mostly because the zoom and focus were handled by the same sleeve - twist to focus and push-pull to zoom. For the same camera, I had a 35 - 70mm with separate controls. It were a pain in the neck.

What am I doing here with my obsolete information? Ask Boomerang and get a good answer.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 08:48 pm
Actually, its just really a high powered quiet motor...Canon calls it Ultrasonic. Above that they have the image stabalizing lenses...which I dont think I could EVER justify but, you know..yeah..Id take one if someone wanted to you know..give me one.
Ive never 'treated' myself to and Ultrasonic though, and actually found a deal on one in the range Im looking at...so, I dont know..I guess I wanted to get some feed back.
I wonder if the motor makes it heavier, if they are better made-like more sturdy, and if they really are that much more quiet to be worth it.
In this case its like 30.00 more than the regular so, I could go for it but, you know...if I got a lot of feedback that it wasnt worth it in anyway...why spend the 30.00?
I've been thinking..yeah, its only 30.00 more but, its a savings of like 250.00 so, in general...its a big leap.
What if I get this one and find out I really really want more of these...then Id be making a whole lot of trouble for myself.
decisions
decisions

thanks for stopping in anyway Smile
maybe boomer will stop by...but, the only one I thought had Canon was Husker, and Im not really sure about that....Laughing
the mind is the first thing to go.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2003 10:21 pm
yep

i want a Canon - I saw a special at State Street Direct on a Canon.

Camera here - but I want a larger lens - 28-105mm f/3.5-4/5
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 11:43 am
That seems like a reasonable wish...you could have my thoughts of grandure

http://www.ssdonline.com/detail_page.cfm?ProductID=8068A008&cfid=5648342&cftoken=27778970&CategoryID=7

Mom made the mistake of asking me what I want for my birthday...I think Ill send her the lens link and see what happens Smile

I could send her that camera link...it could be enough to send her into the hospital though, so Im thoughtful at least.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 01:17 pm
Quinn
that's to much momey - but if Mom is buying - can I get adopted for my birthday? Pleeeese
Wink
I can only imagine what I could do with that and a good lens.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 28 Aug, 2003 04:11 pm
Yeah, I could do great wonderous things with something like that as well. Since thats more than my car is worth...Im guessing Im not getting one of those anytime soon.
A wish list however is a wish list...let the wishing continue.
Mom would adopt however, I dont think fine gifts would be involved...she always wanted a son...or grandkids, or both Smile
0 Replies